British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Peterborough June 23rd

Good meeting, the added drama of the super heat will not please many, I am a traditionalist usually myself but I have to admit i found it all quote exciting and the crowd were certainly up for it - Witches appeared to have thrown it away conceding two 1-5's in heats 11 and 12 and when Basso managed to squeeze past Hume in heat 14 I did think with the way Harris is riding a 5-1 in heat 15 might not happen.

The Doyle exclusion - from where I was sat on the 2nd bend it appeared that Doyle tried a cutback and thats why Starke ran into him - having looked at the video from Chivsy that doesnt seem to come across from that angle. Someone had to go as it was past the first bend!

The track did look good early on - it dried out a little later on but somehow King managed to find a lot of drive to pass Sedgmen on the inside - a proper elbows battle going down the back straight on lap 2 that was! Sedgmen had done well as he was last going into the first bend and a proper kerb job had seen him emerge 2nd behind Harris so the Witches pair earned that win for sure!

Decent crowd some decent racing also a last heat (heat 15) 5-1 and the super heatwin will keep the home fans happy, well most of them anyway!! rubbish (not what I said initially!!) happens in sport as they say, feel a bit for the Panthers but they kind of got away with it against Sheffield so what goes around comes around as we all know!!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

4 super heat races max

Team manager picks 2 riders... if its a 3 3 he picks different 2 riders. Then another 2 in 3rd heat. Finally that leaves 1 rider left for superheat 4. 

If team using rr normal rules apply. 

Could be that team leave better rider for last heat and go for the 3-3s...

Or team relay of a 1 Lap dash for 2 opposing riders .. where Riders start at tapes and do one lap and come into " pits." ( centre green)  Take out cut out and put in next riders bike... then off he goes for 1 lap...

Or just call it a draw, last night a draw was the far result.

3 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Or just call it a draw, last night a draw was the far result.

I am happy with a draw too - but they have changed it in their wisdom so I am running with it for now, modern sport seems to dislike draws - as a football purist there was nothing like a 1-1 away from home having spent 80 minutes camped in your own box defending like mad!!

4 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Buttons,,, what do you think now? 

From the clip shown pretty damning on starkes part.

at the time of the event I felt Doyle having gone to the outside initially stood the bike up very hard and changed his line cutting back a lot harder than it looks in the video and felt once committed to a line starke had little time to adjust and avoid him cutting back.

The angle of the video doesn’t really support that and I guess end of the day if you’re in front you can ride whatever line you want in theory can’t you.

• Like 1

Weather you agree with the superheat its box office for sure. Just had to see that nonone left before the end and the reaction of the crowd showed the passion. Many have been crying out for this and we got it last night. My thoughts for what its worth is that the super heat should just be for an extra point though. So last night it would have been ipswich 2 points and boro 2 points. Still worth having the super heat though

and we all got an extra race and what a race it was hey?

Edited by stu219
  • Like 1

Two quick things I haven’t mentioned, agree with Baldy about the track. Was good last night which must have been very tough to prep with the dry warm weather so credit where it’s due. And was also not only good to see King looking much better, but he actually rode some good inside lines to good effect in 15 and 16 which we don’t often see so good on him. Hopefully the start of better form for the second half of the season. 

• Like 1

But why only for a drawn match - it's still a valid result.  Why not have a coupe of extra heats if it finishes 46-44 - with a bit of different luck the result could have gone either way.  What makes a draw need an extra race, because it's not exciting enough in its own right?

How many new fans will be drawn (LOL!) to the sport, in the hope they get an extra race?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stu219 said:

Weather you agree with the superheat its box office for sure. Just had to see that nonone left before the end and the reaction of the crowd showed the passion. Many have been crying out for this and we got it last night. My thoughts for what its worth is that the super heat should just be for an extra point though. So last night it would have been ipswich 2 points and boro 2 points. Still worth having the super heat though

and we all got an extra race and what a race it was hey?

So why only for a draw? Why not for a close result, which could have gone either way? Why not have 20 heat matches, so people get even more value for their money?  Maybe, on the basis of last night, there will be thousands more at Foxhall next week ... actually not, there's not another home match until 14 July ... 

48 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

So why only for a draw? Why not for a close result, which could have gone either way? Why not have 20 heat matches, so people get even more value for their money?  Maybe, on the basis of last night, there will be thousands more at Foxhall next week ... actually not, there's not another home match until 14 July ... 

There will be thousands more at Foxhall next week as it's National Hot Rod World Final Weekend.

no denying the atmosphere after the Superheat was great but was just as good after heat 15 after we'd salvaged a draw and 1point was prob all we deserved.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tom Thumb said:

There will be thousands more at Foxhall next week as it's National Hot Rod World Final Weekend.

no denying the atmosphere after the Superheat was great but was just as good after heat 15 after we'd salvaged a draw and 1point was prob all we deserved.

I’d argue that was because it secured the super heat and gave us the chance of winning it. Would it have been the same if it was just the draw with no super heat to follow? I personally doubt it. I also disagree that the atmosphere was just as good after 15 as it was for the super heat. Certainly wasn’t where I was standing. 

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, Tom Thumb said:

Ipswich deserved the 3 points because they managed to do what was needed to secure them. Instead of all the hard done by stories and whinging, if you want the 3 points then just win the damn meeting! It’s pretty simple. Ipswich go to Sheffield on Monday knowing full well if it’s a draw after 15 heats then they’ll have to win a super heat to earn the 3 points. If they don’t then they’ll go home with one. Not one club is being hard done by here and not one club has an advantage over anyone else. The rules are set at the start of the season and every club has an equal amount of home and away meetings to secure as many points as they can within the current rules. If you draw an away meeting but then lose the super heat, tough! Take your point and on to the next. 

Edited by Steve Irving
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Irving said:

Ipswich deserved the 3 points because they managed to do what was needed to secure them. Instead of all the hard done by stories and whinging, if you want the 3 points then just win the damn meeting! It’s pretty simple. Ipswich go to Sheffield on Monday knowing full well if it’s a draw after 15 heats then they’ll have to win a super heat to earn the 3 points. If they don’t then they’ll go home with one. Not one club is being hard done by here and not one club has an advantage over anyone else. The rules are set at the start of the season and every club has an equal amount of home and away meetings to secure as many points as they can within the current rules. If you draw an away meeting but then lose the super heat, tough! Take your point and on to the next. 

But the whole point is ... why?

A draw is a valid result, no different to 44-46 or 62-28. Why is there a need to make it different?

The League point structure was changed to reward the away team with an extra league point for a narrow loss (-7 or less), a draw, a win by up to +6, and a win by +7 or more, because in speedway it is recognised that a good away performance is more difficult to achieve.

So why does a draw have to be different to any other result?

If the result had been 44-46 or 46-44, maybe there should be two or three more heats to add even more excitement?

If it's 49-41 should there be another heat to see if the away team can get the extra away point.  Or if it's 41-49, should there be another heat to see if the home team can stop the away team winning the additional league point?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roger Jacobs said:

A draw is a valid result, no different to 44-46 or 62-28. Why is there a need to make it different?

The League point structure was changed to reward the away team with an extra league point for a narrow loss (-7 or less), a draw, a win by up to +6, and a win by +7 or more, because in speedway it is recognised that a good away performance is more difficult to achieve.

If the result had been 44-46 or 46-44, maybe there should be two or three more heats to add even more excitement?

If it's 49-41 should there be another heat to see if the away team can get the extra away point.  Or if it's 41-49, should there be another heat to see if the home team can stop the away team winning the additional league point?

That really doesn’t make much sense to me. If a team win away from home 41-49 then of course there shouldn’t be an extra heat, the away team quite rightly take home the points. You may think an extra heat after a draw is absurd, but your suggestion really would be. The rules are clear and designed to award the points for a win on the night. The same if it was 44-46 or 46-44, you already have your winner so obviously no need for the extra heat. If it ends up a draw, then go to the super heat to decide the points! To me it’s quite clear they’ve tried to add something a little extra and it remains to be seen if they stick with it next season and beyond. Obviously it’s far too quirky for some and that’s fine, we all will have an opinion on it. But I’d say Speedway so often gets criticised for being stuck in the dark ages and having the stigma of having an old pensioners following, is it the older traditionalists who don’t like change that mainly have a problem with this? The same one’s that hated the green helmet colour and hankered for the return of the old yellow/black combo? It’s a tense and exciting climax for those watching and is in my opinion a great addition. 

Isn't sport about winning?

(Definitely NOT about taking part... that's bull$hit ) 

There should be a winner and a loser... simple.

What's the point of a draw? Its a draw before you start so by the end of 2 hours competition there should be a winner. 

2 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

I agree with Steve here, I think the part in bold is part of the problem these days to be honest. The sport is crying out for something a bit different. Not sure if you were there or not but if you weren’t, maybe your opinion on it would soften if you were there and caught up in the moment? Then again probably not, think your mind is well and truly made up on this one. 

I can honestly say i can’t remember ever leaving the stadium with the same buzz I felt on Thursday evening..

• Like 1