Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Peterborough June 23rd

1 hour ago, Steve Irving said:

That really doesn’t make much sense to me. If a team win away from home 41-49 then of course there shouldn’t be an extra heat, the away team quite rightly take home the points. You may think an extra heat after a draw is absurd, but your suggestion really would be. The rules are clear and designed to award the points for a win on the night. The same if it was 44-46 or 46-44, you already have your winner so obviously no need for the extra heat. If it ends up a draw, then go to the super heat to decide the points! To me it’s quite clear they’ve tried to add something a little extra and it remains to be seen if they stick with it next season and beyond. Obviously it’s far too quirky for some and that’s fine, we all will have an opinion on it. But I’d say Speedway so often gets criticised for being stuck in the dark ages and having the stigma of having an old pensioners following, is it the older traditionalists who don’t like change that mainly have a problem with this? The same one’s that hated the green helmet colour and hankered for the return of the old yellow/black combo? It’s a tense and exciting climax for those watching and is in my opinion a great addition. 

Fair enough.  The point (if you'll pardon the pun) that I'm trying to make is that if a draw is a close result, which the away team was previously rewarded for automatically, then so is 49-41 or 41-49, because both results are close enough for teams to gain or lose another league point. Why is a draw different, when it's a tense result in its own right? Why does it need another heat, when no other valid results do?

21 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Why dont they have a DD at the end like the Bangers last man standing wins , Ipswich would only need one rider ?

You could get mick Poole and ronni pedersen out of retirement whilst we get Tim hunt and preben eriksen 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Jacobs said:

Fair enough.  The point (if you'll pardon the pun) that I'm trying to make is that if a draw is a close result, which the away team was previously rewarded for automatically, then so is 49-41 or 41-49, because both results are close enough for teams to gain or lose another league point. Why is a draw different, when it's a tense result in its own right? Why does it need another heat, when no other valid results do?

We’re going around in circles here. Of course a draw is a close result, you can’t get closer can you? There isn’t a winner, it’s a draw, level. 49-41 is a clear win for the home side, 41-49 is a clear win for the away side.  close? Well sort of I suppose but where would you draw the line? There’s no need for an extra heat in those circumstances because there’s a clear winner on the night. That’s the top and bottom of it, they’ve introduced a new rule to make sure there’s a winner on the night. No mutual pats on the back or gentleman’s handshake on a “fair” well earned draw, there’s going to be a winner, and there’s going to be a loser. You’re going to win some, and you’re going to lose some, swings and roundabouts. What can’t be denied is that it’s a hugely exciting end to a meeting that a draw simply can’t match. I respect your opinion on this and you’re not in favour and you’re clearly not alone. I have a different opinion and think it’s good for the sport. 

• Like 1

Super heats are a get out of jail card for the home team, imo it's just another micky mouse rule that should have no place in league speedway...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I agree with Steve here, I think the part in bold is part of the problem these days to be honest. The sport is crying out for something a bit different. Not sure if you were there or not but if you weren’t, maybe your opinion on it would soften if you were there and caught up in the moment? Then again probably not, think your mind is well and truly made up on this one. 

I can honestly say i can’t remember ever leaving the stadium with the same buzz I felt on Thursday evening..

Well.....that unexpected win against Poole in the semifinals was pretty damn exciting :lol:

• Like 1

The only ones who seem to like these golden heats are the ones who have benefitted from them.People I have spoke to think it's a waste of time and effort,especially for the away side.

We never get draws in other sports do we,oh hang on,only the biggest sports in the world.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tellboy said:

The only ones who seem to like these golden heats are the ones who have benefitted from them.People I have spoke to think it's a waste of time and effort,especially for the away side.

We never get draws in other sports do we,oh hang on,only the biggest sports in the world.

Well I have it on good authority that the FA are so impressed with speedway's golden heat that they plan to introduce something similar to the premier League next season. An unexpected result of this fact finding mission is they will also be introducing a guest player system as well.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Why are people comparing Speedway to Football?

One person = people?  This whole forum is a small microcosm of a small number of fans - only a handful bother to post regularly, so it's hardly a broad view ...

18 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Well I have it on good authority that the FA are so impressed with speedway's golden heat that they plan to introduce something similar to the premier League next season. An unexpected result of this fact finding mission is they will also be introducing a guest player system as well.

Has Bomber got a pair of football boots? :D

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

Has Bomber got a pair of football boots? :D

Undoubtedly, a natural at taking corners.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

Undoubtedly, a natural at taking corners.

I'll cross 'em over, you nod 'em in..:D

• Like 1