British Speedway Forum
iainb

Leicester vs Birmingham 25/06/2022 CL

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

There is also the added 'bonus' that there are regular practice sessions/facilities at Leicester.

The junior match was cancelled at Peterborough the other night because the main match ran beyond the curfew, all those young lads travelled from god knows where... for nothing

5 minutes ago, justathought said:

And what has all this got to do with Leicester v Birmingham. 

Jason Edwards guesting (again) instead of promoting from within, keep up

8 hours ago, iainb said:

Leicester binned Rowe off (or was it the other way around) on June the 2nd, Scunny signed Connor Coles on June the 8th, so it is a slap in the face for Connor Coles and the people that turn up to watch the Cubs under the misapprehension that it's a feeder system for the senior team. There was no Cubs team before the Thompson Twins and you begin to wonder if there'll be a Cubs after the Thompson Twins, they can't ride in that team forever (can they?)

Connor Coles may have been announced on 8th June but he had already agreed to sign for Scunthorpe on 2nd June. He guested vs Redcar because they couldn’t redeclare in time & he was then announced as a signing.

The idea of NDL is to develop BRITISH young riders regardless of where the come from or wether they are connected to other clubs or not growing up.

Leicester run NDL because they are one of the few that are able to , nobody from the club has ever said its a direct feeder for the Lions. Merely with the chance to develop one of them may become a Lion of the future.

Say we put Tom Spencer in on Saturday . He fails to score & we lost 44-46 . Fans would be going mad asking why we didn’t get the best possible guest (Jason Edwards) to give us the best possible chance of winning.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Connor Coles may have been announced on 8th June but he had already agreed to sign for Scunthorpe on 2nd June. He guested vs Redcar because they couldn’t redeclare in time & he was then announced as a signing.

The idea of NDL is to develop BRITISH young riders regardless of where the come from or wether they are connected to other clubs or not growing up.

Leicester run NDL because they are one of the few that are able to , nobody from the club has ever said its a direct feeder for the Lions. Merely with the chance to develop one of them may become a Lion of the future.

Say we put Tom Spencer in on Saturday . He fails to score & we lost 44-46 . Fans would be going mad asking why we didn’t get the best possible guest (Jason Edwards) to give us the best possible chance of winning.  

My original question was why they don't use the NDL team as a direct feed the the championship. Thank you for your answer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

Personally I couldnt give 2 shinny sh#tes who Leicester use at reserve, but we all know that it wont be an away win ......If you were up against Poole, may be....but you're competing against the weakest team in the League, surely that's the time to give the inexperienced riders a go ???

We all know that B'ham will be lucky to hit 30 points, let alone 40 !!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

The rumours about Anders Rowe were rife long before the 8th of June, the Lions had ample opportunity to "promote from within", if Connor Coles is a club asset, not sure if he is.

There was no Cubs team before the Thompson Twins and you have to wonder whether there'll be one after the Thompson Twins.

The Cubs team is either a feeder for the senior team or a Development league for the benefit of the sport, as it's badged as Lions Cubs and are often run as part of a double header with the senior team that suggests it's a feeder club, you can't have it both ways.

Don't get me wrong I am 100% for the development of "young" riders (does Connor Coles fit the bill?), personally I think it should be mandatory for all clubs to run a junior team as a 6 or 7 race 2nd half event, giving many riders a chance to ride many different tracks around the country. I always used to quite enjoy watching the youngsters after the main meeting at Coventry with Andy Hackett, David Clarke, Darren Slater, Mick (Mike?) Bacon & Wayne Broadhurst all progressing to the main team reserve berth during their careers. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know if Craig Cook will be riding tonight as he withdrew from the Sheffield team in their the meeting last night following a fall.

Sorry folks. Wrong thread!

Edited by Happy Hunter
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Can't see Leicester not winning this massively, my prediction is going to 64-26

Think your  being a bit optimistic there. 

8 hours ago, iainb said:

The rumours about Anders Rowe were rife long before the 8th of June, the Lions had ample opportunity to "promote from within", if Connor Coles is a club asset, not sure if he is.

There was no Cubs team before the Thompson Twins and you have to wonder whether there'll be one after the Thompson Twins.

The Cubs team is either a feeder for the senior team or a Development league for the benefit of the sport, as it's badged as Lions Cubs and are often run as part of a double header with the senior team that suggests it's a feeder club, you can't have it both ways.

Don't get me wrong I am 100% for the development of "young" riders (does Connor Coles fit the bill?), personally I think it should be mandatory for all clubs to run a junior team as a 6 or 7 race 2nd half event, giving many riders a chance to ride many different tracks around the country. I always used to quite enjoy watching the youngsters after the main meeting at Coventry with Andy Hackett, David Clarke, Darren Slater, Mick (Mike?) Bacon & Wayne Broadhurst all progressing to the main team reserve berth during their careers. 

And a lot of the 2nd halfers were all local riders which boosted the crowd a little bit and gave them an affiniation with the clubs and fans. If your mates doing something, then generally you want to try it, and I think this is where speedway is missing a trick. It won't solve all speedways problems but it might encourage new blood and every little helps atm 

8 hours ago, iainb said:

There was a Leicester Cubs Team in 2014. I went to see them ride at home against Kent on 6th April and against Mildenhall on 27th July. They had the same Team Manager as they have now.I think it was something that David Hemsley tried out but I dont think it was financialy viable and the experiment wasn't repeated.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

There was a Leicester Cubs Team in 2014. I went to see them ride at home against Kent on 6th April and against Mildenhall on 27th July. They had the same Team Manager as they have now.I think it was something that David Hemsley tried out but I dont think it was financialy viable and the experiment wasn't repeated.

Three of whom are riding in the CL this season (Clegg, Sarjeant, Shanes) - a pretty good hit rate

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Happy Hunter said:

Oh yeah they ran a select side in the National Trophy so 3 home and 3 away. Not really enough fixtures to get anyone engaged with. Second sides will always be a bit marmite but largely essential if the sport in this country has any hope of survival. 

26 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Three of whom are riding in the CL this season (Clegg, Sarjeant, Shanes) - a pretty good hit rate

I think Connor Coles was also riding at that level then.