British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Programme content

18 hours ago, iainb said:

I wonder if Leicester would let me do an editorial in their programme? Or Birmingham? What about Scunny?

Now those I would buy :D

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, iainb said:

I wonder if Leicester would let me do an editorial in their programme? Or Birmingham? What about Scunny?

You should offer to contribute to

http://speedwayplus.com/

Or the Friends of Speedway publication 'The Voice'

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, arnieg said:

You should offer to contribute to

http://speedwayplus.com/

Or the Friends of Speedway publication 'The Voice'

You're just trying to get rid of me from here :rofl:

Blimey! speedwayplus.com is still going! I haven't been there since using the programme generator and match report generator many many years ago

On 6/25/2022 at 8:40 AM, iainb said:

how many times do you see somebody near you, head down as soon as the race is finished filling their programme in while the winning rider is making a (sometimes rare) lap of honour, the programme  filler completely oblivious to the fact that the race winner is in front of them coming round for some glory!

Wouldn't make any difference to the rider if the crowd have their heads down or not. Most of the Lions riders don't even look at or acknowledge the crowd on either the track walk, or on the lap of honour.

Edited by Liontamer

1 hour ago, Liontamer said:

Wouldn't make any difference to the rider if the crowd have their heads down or not. Most of the Lions riders don't even look at or acknowledge the crowd on either the track walk, or on the lap of honour.

Was good to see Tom Brennan specifically stop to wave and acknowledge the Birmingham fans at the end of the match last week, didn't have to do it and he was only guesting... class!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Was good to see Tom Brennan specifically stop to wave and acknowledge the Birmingham fans at the end of the match last week, didn't have to do it and he was only guesting... class!

Yes i thought that was a great gesture, especially from a guest.

Saw Brennan at Leicester having pictures taken with fans. Seems have a very good attitude to the paying public. I hope he has a very successful career.

• Like 3

Just bought a 1978 White City programme for £1 at an antique centre in Beverley! There listed is one Jim Tebby as Clerk of the Course...I had forgotten that. That's one reason I like reading old programmes so as to jog my fading memory. Just a shame I sold my massive collection!

Edited by steve roberts

On 6/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, bluebee said:

Although I always buy a programme at meetings I rarely read them on the day of the match as I like to concentrate on the meeting and the company.  I'll read them later in the week usually. But after reading Oxford's programme  today i started to ponder on what poor value official programmes generally  are. The articles by the various contributors s all seem to cover the same issues and state similar opinions.  In the Oxford programme there was comment on Luke Killen's debut by four columnists and Aaron Summer's comeback was covered multiple times. Sure, there's a years gone by section and a  biographies of the visitors but the team discussion pieces all regurgitate the same topics and points. When I buy a magazine I like to read different things - and yes it was good to read about these riders but not in every comment piece, Am I just unlucky in the teams I have supported or are there good programmes out there with varied content. I would think there might be an opportunity for a bit of humour somewhere in the pages for example, or even a bit of technical stuff for those inclined. Perhaps there could be some discussion between the contributors about what each one is going to cover before going to press. I'm not just picking on Oxford as I think the management have generally done a very good job and my criticism applies to many other programmes I've bought before. Just like to know what others think.

I liked the Oxford programme, my bruv filled his in then I copied it next day. A souvenir of our visit. I agree it was a bit repetitive in parts but good quality nonetheless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auntie doris said:

I liked the Oxford programme, my bruv filled his in then I copied it next day. A souvenir of our visit. I agree it was a bit repetitive in parts but good quality nonetheless.

I have a couple winging their way to me from meetings my two brothers attended!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, steve roberts said:

Just bought a 1978 White City programme for £1 at an antique centre in Beverley! There listed is one Jim Tebby as Clerk of the Course...I had forgotten that. That's one reason I like reading old programmes so as to jog my fading memory. Just a shame I sold my massive collection!

You paid exactly what they are sold for in track shops that I know of.

8 hours ago, Mimmo said:

You paid exactly what they are sold for in track shops that I know of.

...there were a whole lot of Hull and Halifax programmes selling for a quid each.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, steve roberts said:

I presume you sold your collection in one go. May I ask how ?

3 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I presume you sold your collection in one go. May I ask how ?

I had to off-load them due to re-location. I sold them to Robert Peasley who ran the souvenir shop at Cowley Stadium who I knew/know as I wrote some articles for his magazine "The Cheetahs Chronicle".

5 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I had to off-load them due to re-location. I sold them to Robert Peasley who ran the souvenir shop at Cowley Stadium who I knew/know as I wrote some articles for his magazine "The Cheetahs Chronicle".

Thanks for that. I won't be selling mine anytime soon, I will leave that to the kids to do when I'm gone. That includes every world final programme from 1936 onwards.

• Like 1