British Speedway Forum
chunky

Team Nicknames

Not sure why I thought of this, but which British teams have had the most nicknames? Sunderland were the Saints and Gladiators, but I know that Oxford were the Cheetahs, Rebels, and poxy Silver Machine. Long Eaton may have the record as Rangers, Archers, Invaders, and "Nottingham" Outlaws...

Any ideas?

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

Not sure why I thought of this, but which British teams have had the most nicknames? Sunderland were the Saints and Gladiators, but I know that Oxford were the Cheetahs, Rebels, and poxy Silver Machine. Long Eaton may have the record as Rangers, Archers, Invaders, and "Nottingham" Outlaws...

Any ideas?

Agree entirely...damn awful nickname! When I questioned the choice of name I was told that when the Purchases "sold" the rights to Nigel Wagstaff the nickname "Cheetahs" wasn't part of the deal? I'm not sure if I believe that personally.

Harringay "Caneries", "Tigers" and finally "Racers". Their Junior team rode under the name of "Whelps".

22 minutes ago, chunky said:

Long Eaton may have the record as Rangers, Archers, Invaders, and "Nottingham" Outlaws...

Any ideas?

Bradford (including the early period when known as Odsal) had 6 names - Boomerangs, Tudors, Panthers, Barons, Northern and Dukes.

Sunderland 'Saints' 1964.

Sunderland 'Stars' 1971 to 1973.

Sunderland 'Gladiators' 1974.

Not bad for a Team that was on Track for only 4.5 years in total. :sad::sad::sad:

8 minutes ago, BL65 said:

Bradford (including the early period when known as Odsal) had 6 names - Boomerangs, Tudors, Panthers, Barons, Northern and Dukes.

Ah, yes! Well spotted! Panthers was the only one I'm not familiar with...

Just now, The White Knight said:

Sunderland 'Saints' 1964.

Sunderland 'Stars' 1971 to 1973.

Sunderland 'Gladiators' 1974.

Not bad for a Team that was on Track for only 4.5 years in total. :sad::sad::sad:

Yeah, I forgot 'Stars'... :oops:

Still, you can't beat Doncaster. Two years, two names, two designs/colours, and not one rider appearing in both years!

• Like 1

Barrow Happy faces,Barrow Bombers,Barrow Furness Flyers and finally Barrow Blackhawks.

15 minutes ago, chunky said:

Ah, yes! Well spotted! Panthers was the only one I'm not familiar with...

Panthers from 1959 to 1962.

Plymouth have had 6 - Tigers, Panthers, Devils, Drakes, Bulldogs & Gladiators.

Weymouth had 5 - Scorchers, Royals, Eagles, Wizards & Wildcats.

Edited by Sotonian

On 6/24/2022 at 8:26 PM, soupy said:

Barrow Happy faces,Barrow Bombers,Barrow Furness Flyers and finally Barrow Blackhawks.

I think that's a different name for every year they operated.  And in all those years, they barely won a match!

I think Oxford Conference/NDL team comes in at six too:

Kids

Acadamy

Cubs

Lions

Cheetahs

&

Chargers

Reading have had 4 I believe

Racers - Rivits - Ravens & the last will remain unsaid B******s

13 minutes ago, Technik said:

Reading have had 4 I believe

Racers - Rivits - Ravens & the last will remain unsaid B******s

Yes it obvious that the Promotion that bought into Reading came in all bombastic on the back of promoting "Sky TV" (can't even remember his name) and soon left with his tail well and truly between his legs!