British Speedway Forum
RS50

Sheffield v Ipswich 27 June.

4 hours ago, HGould said:

May be Scunthorpe should start at 3pm then on a Friday, give the Paramedic . Medic and Ambulance chance to turn up, go away, come back :cheers: :party:

Even longer to read the programme - oh what programme :t:

Get out of that glass house it might get hot! :wub:

Think Birmingham have far more things to worry about than worrying about the EWR.

This forum appears to be in a parallel universe from comments on the Sheffield Facebook page which are overwhelmingly positive about the quality of the meeting including from a couple of first timers who say they will definitely return for more despite the delays.

And yes, the delays were annoying but there was thrilling racing to savour especially from Doyle who is worth the price of admission alone.

With a curfew looming, why did the referee allow the further time wasting gardening antics from the riders to continue?

I find it hard to believe than a tv producer on thousands a year in charge of a budget of millions thinks its a good idea to put"sam in his office",some of the bimbos sky used to have make him look good!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

This forum appears to be in a parallel universe from comments on the Sheffield Facebook page which are overwhelmingly positive about the quality of the meeting including from a couple of first timers who say they will definitely return for more despite the delays.

And yes, the delays were annoying but there was thrilling racing to savour especially from Doyle who is worth the price of admission alone.

With a curfew looming, why did the referee allow the further time wasting gardening antics from the riders to continue?

U try stopping them gardening.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

How can you say Eurosport are damaging the reputation of British speedway?

British speedway has done far more damage to its own reputation over the years the whole thing is just one big farce!

No, I agree. British speedway is harming itself. But that’s just us die hards that can see that. Eurosport are broadcasting it to the nation with a shambolic presentation team. And I imagine any newbies tuning in would turn off after 20 mins of Sam. 

23 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I find it hard to believe than a tv producer on thousands a year in charge of a budget of millions thinks its a good idea to put"sam in his office",some of the bimbos sky used to have make him look good!

The ‘Sam in his office’ parts are embarrassing, may aswell go ask fans in the crowd some of there opinions of speedway in this country rather than watching Sam tell us this is a mechanic pouring fuel into a speedway bike…. Oh is it? Wouldn’t of guessed

8 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

No, I agree. British speedway is harming itself. But that’s just us die hards that can see that. Eurosport are broadcasting it to the nation with a shambolic presentation team. And I imagine any newbies tuning in would turn off after 20 mins of Sam. 

Newbies wouldn't know who the heck he was anyway,   its only the so called die hards that know how bad he is,

When you also have a present day rider in Nicholls who is also the captain of his team doing commentary and not seemingly knowing the rules around the RS and heat 8 you know your in trouble

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Oh I do........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You are a proper Charlie :rofl:

You post tells Eurosport that they need more input from those in charge on the night, if the viewing public had known about the 3 fencing panels being damaged, the fact that one is a panel attached to a gate that would've placated a few.

We needed talk about the track too, was it just the fact that it has dirt on that put riders off and why, was their ruts or was it the fact that the track men don't have enough time to keep a deep track smooth when the cameras are there, is every 4 heats enough, thinking back to Lynn, Huggy would grade after every hear to smooth out berms!

Maybe talk about the history of the airfences if we've got newbies watching, what was it like before airfences, both Kelv and Scotty could've done that?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Trees said:

You post tells Eurosport that they need more input from those in charge on the night, if the viewing public had known about the 3 fencing panels being damaged, the fact that one is a panel attached to a gate that would've placated a few.

We needed talk about the track too, was it just the fact that it has dirt on that put riders off and why, was their ruts or was it the fact that the track men don't have enough time to keep a deep track smooth when the cameras are there, is every 4 heats enough, thinking back to Lynn, Huggy would grade after every hear to smooth out berms!

Maybe talk about the history of the airfences if we've got newbies watching, what was it like before airfences, both Kelv and Scotty could've done that?

Good point there.  With increasing scrutiny on the safety side of motorsports, often from people who are not fans but just see shocking headlines when things go badly wrong, the delay was an opportunity to explain to newer fans what speedway has done to improve this.  

Air fences are not perfect and do sometimes cause problems and frustrating delays, but they are a big step forward from nothing, or the straw bales that were widely used in road racing.

It's a bit hysterical to suggest Sheffield should be deducted points for what happened last night. How much of it was under the direct control of the Sheffield promotion exactly? The TV coverage delayed the start of the meeting and there were numerous other occasions where a race was delayed to coincide with the coverage. There were a few situations where riders were having 2 consecutive rides, including one (I think it was around Heat 11 or 12 - I forget which) where the delay was interminable. We had a tape exclusion, three crashes, and of course one of those destroyed the air fence (hopefully Danny King is OK). 

That aside, there was actually some good racing last night and I saw a few of the kids who were standing on the 3rd / 4th bend - they were loving it. Nobody wanted the meeting to end like that last night - especially the Sheffield promotion who put a lot of effort into getting people into the stadium and who wanted to showcase the sport on TV - so to imply that they were time-wasting to deny Ipswich a bonus point, or that they should be deducted points for having a wrecked air-fence, is a bizarre interpretation of reality. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

The presentation on Eurosport is extremely poor, Sam has never been any good and Abbey is probably worse, bring back Rio, at least she knew about bikes and how to ride one fast. Kelvin is good but it was only Scotty that seemed to realise that Hume had replaced Batchelor!  I realise the air fence is there for safety but the delays were quite extreme with all the track staff seemingly not knowing how to fix the problem. It looked very poor and then after all the delays the curfew stops running the last two heats! So all the crowd hang around for a long long time and don't even get to see the last two heats , both of which would have had Doyley showing us how entertaining speedway can be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the issues last night, one thing seems to have been completely overlooked

RIDER SAFETY.

A weakness in any fence is as murphys law dictates like a magnet. 

Sheffield is one of the fastest tracks in the Country, phenominal speeds in to the bends and often in the high dirt line.

You CANNOT compromise that for TV, for the Public, it's the one aspect that is NON NEGOTIABLE.

We saw before air / foam fences how exposed lamposts and posts were a magnet, the losses of the likes of Gary Peterson; Denny Pyatt, Vic Harding to name but 3 sadly and forever missed and even with Air Fences riders have been badly hurt by Posts hit after going underneath or totally depressing the bag given the speed of impact.

Had that meeting continued with an ill-fitting or incorrectly fitted bag and someoe have been hurt or worse as a consequence then the raminfications would have been FAR MORE serious.

Maybe too before keyboard warriors and those who have never taken any responsibility for anything in their lives belittle and troll, may be consider the Track Staff and Track Volunteers who make speedy repairs 99 times out of 100 and always walking away with the responsibility of the repair they have ensured in their minds right the way through the meeting until the final race is run.

Agree with all of that,except an air fence tragically would have made no difference to the accident that cost poor Gary Peterson his life.He was caterpulted 6/7 feet in the air before crashing head first into a lamp standard.On saying that air/foam fences have saved numerous riders from serious injury,and I dread to think with the modern bikes that are now in use,what would happen if they weren't there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mooose said:

It's a bit hysterical to suggest Sheffield should be deducted points for what happened last night. How much of it was under the direct control of the Sheffield promotion exactly? The TV coverage delayed the start of the meeting and there were numerous other occasions where a race was delayed to coincide with the coverage. There were a few situations where riders were having 2 consecutive rides, including one (I think it was around Heat 11 or 12 - I forget which) where the delay was interminable. We had a tape exclusion, three crashes, and of course one of those destroyed the air fence (hopefully Danny King is OK). 

That aside, there was actually some good racing last night and I saw a few of the kids who were standing on the 3rd / 4th bend - they were loving it. Nobody wanted the meeting to end like that last night - especially the Sheffield promotion who put a lot of effort into getting people into the stadium and who wanted to showcase the sport on TV - so to imply that they were time-wasting to deny Ipswich a bonus point, or that they should be deducted points for having a wrecked air-fence, is a bizarre interpretation of reality. 

The problem of riders taking consecutive heats was a major factor throughout the meeting:

Sedgman (heats 1 & 2); Mountain (heats 7 & 8); Howarth (heats 8 & 9); Musielak (heats 9 & 10); Riss (heats 9 & 10); Sedgman ( heats 11 & 12); Hume (heats 11 & 12) and Doyle (heats 13 & 14 - the one that never happened) all conspired to drag out the meeting and spoil what should have been a showpiece spectacle. As for the air fence, the number of times they take it down and put it up again after stock car meetings, one would have hoped they'd be fairly good at it by now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Poland seem to be able to...

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

One thing noticeable about last night was how quick RR can be actioned when the rider has two on the run..

Poland do it every week like this and dont need a curfew to make it happen like last night did..

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

No "extra time for two on the trot" like we have over here...

You want to "garden" in Poland then you had better get there early, because.. 

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

And they all set off in a straight line in Poland with the front wheel within a couple of inches of the tapes..

Not firing off at all angles after first rolling back when the start marshall walks away..

They do then seem to have a lot less "first bend incidents" off the back of it..

• Like 3