British Speedway Forum
RS50

Sheffield v Ipswich 27 June.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Sweetman said:

Agree with all of that,except an air fence tragically would have made no difference to the accident that cost poor Gary Peterson his life.He was caterpulted 6/7 feet in the air before crashing head first into a lamp standard.On saying that air/foam fences have saved numerous riders from serious injury,and I dread to think with the modern bikes that are now in use,what would happen if they weren't there.

Moving the floodlights would have. But it would have been too expensive so they were left in place. That cost Denny Pyeatt his life and it was only after Craig Featherby hit a lamp standard at Peterborough that the safety standards were changed for the better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the issues last night, one thing seems to have been completely overlooked

RIDER SAFETY.

A weakness in any fence is as murphys law dictates like a magnet. 

Sheffield is one of the fastest tracks in the Country, phenominal speeds in to the bends and often in the high dirt line.

You CANNOT compromise that for TV, for the Public, it's the one aspect that is NON NEGOTIABLE.

We saw before air / foam fences how exposed lamposts and posts were a magnet, the losses of the likes of Gary Peterson; Denny Pyatt, Vic Harding to name but 3 sadly and forever missed and even with Air Fences riders have been badly hurt by Posts hit after going underneath or totally depressing the bag given the speed of impact.

Had that meeting continued with an ill-fitting or incorrectly fitted bag and someoe have been hurt or worse as a consequence then the raminfications would have been FAR MORE serious.

Maybe too before keyboard warriors and those who have never taken any responsibility for anything in their lives belittle and troll, may be consider the Track Staff and Track Volunteers who make speedy repairs 99 times out of 100 and always walking away with the responsibility of the repair they have ensured in their minds right the way through the meeting until the final race is run.

As at least one other poster has said, Eurosport should have switched to informing the viewers about the role air fences play in rider safety, and how sometimes fixing them isn't a straightforward matter. This could have been done by Tatum and Nicholas instead viewers were treated to semi-coherent Sam and Abby from the crèche. It was only when Chris Louis came to the rescue that any semblance of order was restored, but again, they could have asked him to talk about rider safety.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Poland seem to be able to...

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

One thing noticeable about last night was how quick RR can be actioned when the rider has two on the run..

Poland do it every week like this and dont need a curfew to make it happen like last night did..

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

No "extra time for two on the trot" like we have over here...

You want to "garden" in Poland then you had better get there early, because.. 

2 minutes, tapes up, gone, (or out)..

And they all set off in a straight line in Poland with the front wheel within a couple of inches of the tapes..

Not firing off at all angles after first rolling back when the start marshall walks away..

They do then seem to have a lot less "first bend incidents" off the back of it..

The Polish tracks are huge compared to ours which helps stop first bend incidents, it's probs why they don't garden as much either as there are loads more options going into and out if the first/second bend?

Can't quite understand the criticisms of the presenters with the very obvious exception of one of them

Tatum, Louis & Nicholls are all excellent and although Abi presumably isn't a 'speedway person', she is never the less quite appealing and engaging and has obviously done all her home work.

Sam however is simply beyond belief. Seriously, my 5 year old granddaughter has a greater grasp of the English language than this man.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foreverblue said:

The way he is riding would improve any team. He is going to get Alot of guest bookings 

Chris Harris might have something to say about that

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trees said:

The Polish tracks are huge compared to ours which helps stop first bend incidents, it's probs why they don't garden as much either as there are loads more options going into and out if the first/second bend?

Someone must have told you that fact :) If Kings Lynn rode in Poland i could understand you knowing. :D

• Haha 1

Something else which didn't escape my attention last night was the amount of shale on the track - probably more than I've ever seen in 57 years. It was also noted that there were three quite serious pile-ups which, if memory serves, is more than we've had in the entire season up to now. Can the two facts be related?

When I went to Owlerton for the Wolves match recently there were issues with the track early on which they had several goes at sorting out before an extended grade after heat 6 finally sorted it and it was fine thereafter and there was some excellent racing

Perhaps Sheffield need to review their track prep 

22 minutes ago, 4thbender said:

Something else which didn't escape my attention last night was the amount of shale on the track - probably more than I've ever seen in 57 years. It was also noted that there were three quite serious pile-ups which, if memory serves, is more than we've had in the entire season up to now. Can the two facts be related?

Kelvin did mention how deep the outside was before the meeting using his "dirtometer" and how on bends three and four in particular it can "pull you in" at Owlerton..

The dirt line certainly moved out and the racing certainly benefited off the back of it..

A very fine line between safety and entertainment in Speedway..

Which is probably why it can be so great to watch.. 

6 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Well there seems to be a lot of bed wetting in Ipswich and a lot of finger pointing. Last nights meeting would have been better obviously without the delays BUT when Eurosport come to the stadium they dictate what happens. Last night the raffle girls couldn’t go on the centre green to make the draw and none of the corporate lot where aloud on either. The start of the meeting is always delayed because of ads and interviews etc. The next delay was heat 2 when broc Nicol stuffed mountain in the fence and got away with it. All the delays were explained by the centre green announcer but for all the armchair fans who weren’t there they wouldn’t know it was been held up by Eurosport. Then we had the Danny king incident which affected 3 panels not just the one he hit. Unfortunately one was the panel covering the gate and the vaulenteer track staff had problems with this repair. Probably if the Ipswich supporters who know all about air fences had turned up to support their team they could have advised on the repair. The meeting was then hurried along by Eurosport only for another Ipswich rider to hit the air fence and more time wasted. Sheffield have had a curfew for years and many people are aware of this because of local housing and a very strict council so we have to live with it. In between the delays I thought there was some decent racing and without the delays a lot of comments on here would have been a lot different. I think Ipswich probably deserved a point and might have achieved it in heat 15. So for all those who couldn’t be bothered to turn up but just enjoy moaning I would suggest pick up your remote and turn the speedway off and put love island on and watch a load of talentless people getting more money that riders risking their lives for your entertainment. 

absolutely spot on!

* Owlerton is in the suburb of HILLSBOROUGH,since that tragedy both stadiums (on the same road) have been made to stick to ALL H&S aspects to the letter of the law,no room for manouvre or they're shut down! (other stadiums would not be able to function if they were in sheffield, it's a price both clubs have had to pay to this day and won't ever change.

*  the volunteer track workers do NOT have degrees in 'air fence engineering' they are unpaid ,hard working volunteers who do it to keep their club running

* ruts in the track due to stock cars (who share the stadium with greyhounds also), the volunteers get about 6 hours a week to do all the prep work (usually wed. night) .speedway does not own the stadium and are probably last in the pecking order 

* housing estates are up the hill on the back straight 

*it was a complete one-off ... never seen curfew at owlerton before (what a time to choose)!  

8 minutes ago, noaksey said:

When I went to Owlerton for the Wolves match recently there were issues with the track early on which they had several goes at sorting out before an extended grade after heat 6 finally sorted it and it was fine thereafter and there was some excellent racing

Perhaps Sheffield need to review their track prep 

Something painfully clear this season is that the Tigers' heat leader trio of Holder, Musielak and Ellis never score points in their first races, but come back fighting after about heat 5 or 6. It makes me wonder whether the track needs a few races to sort itself out.

1 hour ago, Bash said:

Chris Harris might have something to say about that

Yeah well any rider in form and on a good average will get a lot of guest bookings. We all wonder why riders don't ride to their ability all the time but it does them no good, it is much better to have a bad spell, get your average down then reap the benefits later in the season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The SAINT said:

absolutely spot on!

* Owlerton is in the suburb of HILLSBOROUGH,since that tragedy both stadiums (on the same road) have been made to stick to ALL H&S aspects to the letter of the law,no room for manouvre or they're shut down! (other stadiums would not be able to function if they were in sheffield, it's a price both clubs have had to pay to this day and won't ever change.

*  the volunteer track workers do NOT have degrees in 'air fence engineering' they are unpaid ,hard working volunteers who do it to keep their club running

* ruts in the track due to stock cars (who share the stadium with greyhounds also), the volunteers get about 6 hours a week to do all the prep work (usually wed. night) .speedway does not own the stadium and are probably last in the pecking order 

* housing estates are up the hill on the back straight 

*it was a complete one-off ... never seen curfew at owlerton before (what a time to choose)!  

Exactly. But the facts are not considered by Ipswich fans you can’t educate these carrot crunching numpties in Ipswich. We’ve done the double over them already this season and in the first meeting they were sniping cus jack holder was injured and missed riding at one of his non favourite tracks because of an injury in the GP 2 days before. This was Live on tv which they will have watched cus they are only armchair fans. Then last night blamed the air fence and time wasting for the defeat !!!! They need to grow up accept defeat   Move on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Damien Bates on lastnight's problem after Danny's crash,

“But I can honestly, honestly tell you now it was such a rare, unique, freak incident, I’ve never seen it happen before and I’d be surprised if we see it again.

“Where Danny and his bike hit the air fence on bend two, it burst a couple of bags.

“But somehow, the angle everything has hit, it destroyed the inflatable tube which gets the air flowing between each bag.

“Replacing an air bag is usually a ten minute job at most, but with this ‘air pathway’, if you like, damaged, it was a much more complicated job.

“To add to the issue, it was the air bag that connects to the gate that opens and closes to let the tractors and ambulances out on bend two.

“This is a slightly different type of air bag to the rest and has to be at a certain level to connect with the rest of the air fence.

“Our track staff tried several things before having to come up with a makeshift solution on the spot – and had they not figured that out, the meeting would’ve had to be abandoned at that point, we wouldn’t have seen any more racing, we wouldn’t have got a result and everyone would’ve had to have left there and then and we’d have had to have all came back and do it all over again on another night."

2 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Someone must have told you that fact :) If Kings Lynn rode in Poland i could understand you knowing. :D

:D:D I've been to Poland a few times m8, notably Gorzow v Zielona Gora 9.8.15 where I sat with Gorzow fans and was shouting for Darcy Ward woooooo :O