British Speedway Forum
RS50

Sheffield v Ipswich 27 June.

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

If you read what our promotor has explained you should understand the problem that occurred last night. Total one off  But if you have your own agenda that’s fine by me. I’d rather believe the truth than the bile that some Ipswich fans have put on the forum. Who weren’t even at the meeting but know what happened and how quickly it should have been fixed   If you believe them then you must be quite gullible 

I will wait for the no brakes, no fear podcast tomorrow and see what they say with interest!

When the meeting finally got going again they didn't seem in a hurry considering the curfew! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

As I said I thought Ipswich deserved a point. Doyle would have won 14 and 15 and I think Riss could possibly a point in 15. If you read what our promotor has put it wasn’t just one airbag to pump up. I was told last night it was the impact and damage done to the gate airbag that caused all the problems!!

If there is such a unique section and connections within the airfence set up then professionalism would dictate you have at least one spare of that special section and connections ready for a speedy switch

That would mean an embarrassing bodge it job wouldn't be required

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

I will wait for the no brakes, no fear podcast tomorrow and see what they say with interest!

When the meeting finally got going again they didn't seem in a hurry considering the curfew! 

If you were at the meeting you would have seen the riders ready at the pit gate while our centre green announcer repeatedly told the crowd that the riders were ready but waiting for Eurosport to give them the nod to go to tapes. You see a totally different picture when you are at a televised meeting. When we go to Cardiff Phil Morris has to be told when to release the riders from the pits. 

6 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Something painfully clear this season is that the Tigers' heat leader trio of Holder, Musielak and Ellis never score points in their first races, but come back fighting after about heat 5 or 6. It makes me wonder whether the track needs a few races to sort itself out.

Apart from Adams retirement in his first race last night, he’s finished either first of second in every meeting at Sheffield apart from the season opener. 

just saying. 

We hear so much about the valiant volunteers doing their best. What training had they had? Had their competency been assessed.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

If there is such a unique section and connections within the airfence set up then professionalism would dictate you have at least one spare of that special section and connections ready for a speedy switch

That would mean an embarrassing bodge it job wouldn't be required

It wasn’t a bodge job if you go on face book one of the track staff explained the problem. I’m not repeating it cus takes too long to type. If you find it you will understand the implications what Danny Kings impact caused. Bit of a chain reaction and a problem that has not happened ever before apparently. It wasn’t a case of just blowing another panel up so for all those snipes our track staff have had to endure and time wasting quips which were totally unjustified. Hope Danny and paul starke are ok   Both high speed smashes

• Like 4

Yes it affected 3 panels and the piping that feeds the airbags, a bloody nightmare!

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Seems sensible 

Edited by noaksey

56 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

It wasn’t a bodge job if you go on face book one of the track staff explained the problem. I’m not repeating it cus takes too long to type. If you find it you will understand the implications what Danny Kings impact caused. Bit of a chain reaction and a problem that has not happened ever before apparently. It wasn’t a case of just blowing another panel up so for all those snipes our track staff have had to endure and time wasting quips which were totally unjustified. Hope Danny and paul starke are ok   Both high speed smashes

Yes it would take 45 minutes to type if you didn't have the equipment of skills to copy and paste in seconds 

Quite an apt analogy for the situation 

WE would like to thank supporters for their patience and understanding during Monday night’s home fixture with Ipswich. 

The Tru Plant Tigers moved to the top of the Premiership with a 43-35 win over Ipswich in a match curtailed due to the curfew at Owlerton. 

A lengthy delay was experienced following a high-speed crash for visiting captain Danny King in Heat Seven – and while club bosses do understand some frustrations vented their way, they are urging people to focus on the positives ahead of the next fixture in the Steel City against reigning Champions Peterborough on Thursday, July 14 (7.30). 

Club promoter Damien Bates said: “Monday night was a bizarre one for us, it really was. 

“The team got the win we were after and that we needed and after moving to the top of the table, we should’ve left the stadium on a real high. 

“However, as a promotion, we probably left feeling lower than we have done for a long, long time. 

“We know how frustrating the length of the delay was between the first staging of Heat Seven and then the re-run, whether that be for the supporters who had paid to come into the stadium or those who had stayed at home to watch live on Eurosport and Discovery+.

“But I can honestly, honestly tell you now it was such a rare, unique, freak incident, I’ve never seen it happen before and I’d be surprised if we see it again. 

“Where Danny and his bike hit the air fence on bend two, it burst a couple of bags. 

“But somehow, the angle everything has hit, it destroyed the inflatable tube which gets the air flowing between each bag. 

“Replacing an air bag is usually a ten minute job at most, but with this ‘air pathway’, if you like, damaged, it was a much more complicated job. 

“To add to the issue, it was the air bag that connects to the gate that opens and closes to let the tractors and ambulances out on bend two. 

“This is a slightly different type of air bag to the rest and has to be at a certain level to connect with the rest of the air fence. 

“Our track staff tried several things before having to come up with a makeshift solution on the spot – and had they not figured that out, the meeting would’ve had to be abandoned at that point, we wouldn’t have seen any more racing, we wouldn’t have got a result and everyone would’ve had to have left there and then and we’d have had to have all came back and do it all over again on another night. 

“Do I understand people’s frustrations? Yes, of course I do. But there was genuinely nothing else we could’ve done to speed things up unfortunately.  

“It may have taken time but at no point could we ever put the safety of riders at risk by not having a fully inflated air bag…”

Read it again Charlieboy!

"Our track staff tried several things before having to come up with a makeshift solution on the spot"

That's is the very definition of a bodge job :P

• Haha 2

Sheffields statement just show a how unprofessional the sport is

Surely if you have a section of air fence that’s different to the norm then you have a spare for that specific section just in case  for that 1 moment you will need it. 
not having spares lies solely on Sheffield promotion. 

The patchy track that caused the crashes lies with the Sheffield promotion. 
And BTW. Other clubs would have been the same. Let’s hope they will learn from this mistake and go get the spares they need. 

Edited by PhilTheAce
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Trees said:

Yes it affected 3 panels and the piping that feeds the airbags, a bloody nightmare!

The whole point is that you have spares available, including the piping. I can understand if more piping was damaged than they had spares for, but it appears they didn't have any. Just because it's never happened before, doesn't mean it won't happen. In a professional and/or business environment, you have to be prepared for as many eventualities as possible. Testing of the air fences should have dictated that spare tubing be available - it certainly should be now.

As usual, it's apologies from the authorities, thanks for being patient, and to be frank, not a thought that their customers were robbed of what they paid to see. The usual British speedway story ...

Edited by Roger Jacobs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

"Our track staff tried several things before having to come up with a makeshift solution on the spot"

Well done but if you read my post again I said a member of track staff explained it as he was part of the team to fix it and I also said on face book. You have very cleverly copy and pasted what our promoter said on our website 2 slightly different messages. Damien Bates has not gone into as thoroughly as the track staff member. But if it helps you sleep at night you believe what you want. End of the day we won so it’s another 3 points and your riders walked away with no lasting injuries so well done to the air fence 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

Well done but if you read my post again I said a member of track staff explained it as he was part of the team to fix it and I also said on face book. You have very cleverly copy and pasted what our promoter said on our website 2 slightly different messages. Damien Bates has not gone into as thoroughly as the track staff member. But if it helps you sleep at night you believe what you want. End of the day we won so it’s another 3 points and your riders walked away with no lasting injuries so well done to the air fence 

Agree Charlie but as for who won its rather a moot  point, there was some good racing between the delays but the whole episode did no favours to the sport whatever the rights and wrongs .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Soon as a promoter say's "honestly"it makes me wonder straight away,but he said honestly twice.Some of these could be politicians.

• Haha 3