British Speedway Forum
RS50

Sheffield v Ipswich 27 June.

4 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

It's the "as usual" but that's key here - paying customers are expected to accept whatever is dished-up.

How about something like: "Sorry we weren't prepared for what happened, and that the match had to be abandoned - you can have £3 off your next visit to Sheffield."

I’ll gladly stand corrected, but has any speedway promoter ever offered a refund for a meeting that ran 13 of the programmed 15 heats?

6 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Why mate what’s the problem with my comments. Sport is about winning and losing and some people can’t accept defeat without sniping. I’m happy when we win unhappy when we lose but just accept it. No team in any sport wins every meeting. That’s a fact. But some just spout off when not knowing the facts. 

The issue isn't about winning or losing, as we had lost anyway. The issue is there was still a point up for grabs, given the form of Doyle & the inconsistent nights of the other 3 that were likely to be in heat 15 it's perfectly possible that Ipswich would have got a 5-1 to salvage a point.

Maybe the fairest & most professional conclusion would be to give Ipswich an extra point or leave Ipswich with zero and downgrade Sheffield's win to a 2 point home win.

20 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

The blower feeding the fence was damaged due to air been forced back into the blower had to be replaced. The inner sock on this panel was also damaged. Apparently this hasn’t happened before so caused problems for our staff.

10 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

That said - the explanations were helpful from the promotion - perhaps a statement that included something like  'We will learn from this and try to ensure this doesn't happen again'  would be in order

You would hope that this freak incident has been fed back to the air fence manufactures and that they are working on designing in some kind of non-return valve fix so it doesn't happen again in the future

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

The issue isn't about winning or losing, as we had lost anyway. The issue is there was still a point up for grabs, given the form of Doyle & the inconsistent nights of the other 3 that were likely to be in heat 15 it's perfectly possible that Ipswich would have got a 5-1 to salvage a point.

Maybe the fairest & most professional conclusion would be to give Ipswich an extra point or leave Ipswich with zero and downgrade Sheffield's win to a 2 point home win.

And where in the rules is this 

There are no guarantees in speedway and you are assuming that Doyle would have had two wins, has he won every Race  has been in this season?

You lost by eight points just accept it

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Why mate what’s the problem with my comments. Sport is about winning and losing and some people can’t accept defeat without sniping. I’m happy when we win unhappy when we lose but just accept it. No team in any sport wins every meeting. That’s a fact. But some just spout off when not knowing the facts. 

I dont really have a problem with what you said to be honest just felt it was said in a provocative way :t:

The matter is much more nuanced and complex than a simple its your fault or their fault - however for good of the sport lets hope everyone learns from it - as one of my old bosses used to say - 'What's the learning been here'

3 hours ago, iainb said:

You would hope that this freak incident has been fed back to the air fence manufactures and that they are working on designing in some kind of non-return valve fix so it doesn't happen again in the future

for sure yes - lets hope so!

5 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

actually a draw was possible until Starke crashed - 2x 5-1 would have seen a 45-45.

I suppose it a bit like a football being stopped in the 80th minute with a team leading 2-1 - if the result is awarded then the losers will always say 'what if' - At least speedway does have a precedent in that anything called after after heat whatever the result stands!! If the losing party feel the match was curtailed due to timewasting / delay / incompetence etc   its only reasonable they might complain a bit! As the rules stand its been dealt with correctly even if that is a tad unfair on Ipswich.

Edited by GeneralMelchett

15 hours ago, RobHowe said:

I’ll gladly stand corrected, but has any speedway promoter ever offered a refund for a meeting that ran 13 of the programmed 15 heats?

No, but that doesn't mean a progressive promotion (or even whole organisation) trying to improve the standing of the sport shouldn't consider doing it ...

Edited by Roger Jacobs

4 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I dont really have a problem with what you said to be honest just felt it was said in a provocative way :t:

The matter is much more nuanced and complex than a simple its your fault or their fault - however for good of the sport lets hope everyone learns from it - as one of my old bosses used to say - 'What's the learning been here'

Not provocative mate. It just makes me laugh when people don’t attend matches but think they know the true facts. When the track staff explain something they have worked on and then get slagged off how would you react. Them lads work hard every week and yet some keyboard warrior slates them without knowing what actually happened. It was a one off and hopefully everyone learns from it. Had it been at Ipswich then I think there would have been more lieiency from the home fans regarding the delay. It’s done now so look forward to next meeting 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Not provocative mate. It just makes me laugh when people don’t attend matches but think they know the true facts. When the track staff explain something they have worked on and then get slagged off how would you react. Them lads work hard every week and yet some keyboard warrior slates them without knowing what actually happened. It was a one off and hopefully everyone learns from it. Had it been at Ipswich then I think there would have been more lieiency from the home fans regarding the delay. It’s done now so look forward to next meeting 

Total guff - no one has slagged the track staff. It wasn't their fault in any way

They could only work with what they had available

Had they have had the correct spare sections and connections no doubt it would've been done far more speedily

If it had been at Ipswich then the criticism would've been the same from the Witches fans on here. In general those posting on here from Ipswich are the least forgiving of their own promotion and if anything more critical where things are not quite right on their doorstep

Rarely will you see the Witches posters trying to defend the indefensible just because its their team/promotion

• Like 2

There's just been a 50 minute delay with Rafa's match on Centre Court while they put the lid on... does anybody have the address for the British Tennis Forum? I'm absolutely livid:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Total guff - no one has slagged the track staff. It wasn't their fault in any way

They could only work with what they had available

Had they have had the correct spare sections and connections no doubt it would've been done far more speedily

If it had been at Ipswich then the criticism would've been the same from the Witches fans on here. In general those posting on here from Ipswich are the least forgiving of their own promotion and if anything more critical where things are not quite right on their doorstep

Rarely will you see the Witches posters trying to defend the indefensible just because its their team/promotion

No one? I take it you’ve not ventured onto social media and seen the number of fans slagging off the track staff?

Pretty much as you go onto do in this very post…..

Given everything you know about what actually happened on Monday night, and the unforeseen and challenging outcome of Danny’s crash, can you please explain why you think Sheffield fans are trying to defend the indefensible?

Thank you

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

There's just been a 50 minute delay with Rafa's match on Centre Court while they put the lid on... does anybody have the address for the British Tennis Forum? I'm absolutely livid:lol:

All the money available to Wimbledon and they can’t close a roof in 10 minutes?!

We can close roofs up here in 5 minutes.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roger Jacobs said:

No, but that doesn't mean a progressive promotion (or even whole organisation) trying to improve the standing of the sport shouldn't consider doing it ...

You’re aware that most if not all clubs are hanging in their financially and won’t have the cashflow to do such a thing, as admirable as it is?

13 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

You’re aware that most if not all clubs are hanging in their financially and won’t have the cashflow to do such a thing, as admirable as it is?

And whilst the paying public is continually taken for mugs the cashflow will dwindle further and further as more and more walk away week after week year after year......

• Thanks 3