Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
RS50

Sheffield v Ipswich 27 June.

18 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

No one? I take it you’ve not ventured onto social media and seen the number of fans slagging off the track staff?

Pretty much as you go onto do in this very post…..

Given everything you know about what actually happened on Monday night, and the unforeseen and challenging outcome of Danny’s crash, can you please explain why you think Sheffield fans are trying to defend the indefensible?

Thank you

I don't slag them off at all - quite the opposite!

Your view that I am doing so is a great example of the blinkered depend your position regardless point that I make :P

The indefensible is that Sheffield speedway has an airfence with unique fittings and didn't have a suitable replacement section/fittings to enable a speedy switch

That can be regarded as slagging the promotion but in no way is a sleight on the track staff

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

And whilst the paying public is continually taken for mugs the cashflow will dwindle further and further as more and more walk away week after week year after year......

And you know that everyone is taken for a mug? Or is that just the way you feel about the sport?

Also, I’m awaiting your explanation for why you think Sheffield fans are defending the indefensible - you found it funny but for some reason you’ve not explained yourself.

5 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I don't slag them off at all - quite the opposite!

Your view that I am doing so is a great example of the blinkered depend your position regardless point that I make :P

The indefensible is that Sheffield speedway has an airfence with unique fittings and didn't have a suitable replacement section/fittings to enable a speedy switch

That can be regarded as slagging the promotion but in no way is a sleight on the track staff

You must be pretty special to have literally everything covered in your life.

Has nothing ever happened to you that you didn’t have spare parts for or a contingency plan or whatever?

I take it you’ve not watched much speedway either. Throughout my entire life of watching the sport there have always been problems and delays that the tracks have had to overcome, if possible. Sudden downpours, no ambulance, sun in the riders eyes (not a problem we often have up here), crashes demolishing parts of the fence / air fence, tapes not working properly or at all. These things happen. Our sport is run on a shoestring and doesn’t have the money that high profile sports to cover every eventuality, as frustrating as this seems to be to some fans.

And I assume you’ve read the explanations online? And listened to the No Brakes podcast? In all the years that riders have crashed into the air fence coming out of bend 2, the impact of those crashes has never resulted in the freak set of events that caused the damage in the way it did.

Also, I think you’ll probably find that any track with a gate covered by part of the air fence will have the arrangement that Sheffield has. So it’s probably something that could have happened anywhere but hasn’t until Monday.

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Total guff - no one has slagged the track staff. It wasn't their fault in any way

They could only work with what they had available

Had they have had the correct spare sections and connections no doubt it would've been done far more speedily

If it had been at Ipswich then the criticism would've been the same from the Witches fans on here. In general those posting on here from Ipswich are the least forgiving of their own promotion and if anything more critical where things are not quite right on their doorstep

Rarely will you see the Witches posters trying to defend the indefensible just because its their team/promotion

What guff ? At least 3 Ipswich supporters have slagged them off. Check the posts. So your saying Ipswich supporters on here would have slagged the promotion and track staff if it happened at Ipswich ? Who needs supporters like that ? No wonder speedway is in a fast decline. I can see why you don’t go then it must be toxic when you lose. I do agree with you tho if we had plenty of spare parts it would have been repaired quicker but as speedway is not a lucrative sport that might be the reason for the lack of spare parts don’t you think. Most clubs run on a shoestring. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobHowe said:

You must be pretty special to have literally everything covered in your life.

Has nothing ever happened to you that you didn’t have spare parts for or a contingency plan or whatever?

I take it you’ve not watched much speedway either. Throughout my entire life of watching the sport there have always been problems and delays that the tracks have had to overcome, if possible. Sudden downpours, no ambulance, sun in the riders eyes (not a problem we often have up here), crashes demolishing parts of the fence / air fence, tapes not working properly or at all. These things happen. Our sport is run on a shoestring and doesn’t have the money that high profile sports to cover every eventuality, as frustrating as this seems to be to some fans.

And I assume you’ve read the explanations online? And listened to the No Brakes podcast? In all the years that riders have crashed into the air fence coming out of bend 2, the impact of those crashes has never resulted in the freak set of events that caused the damage in the way it did.

Also, I think you’ll probably find that any track with a gate covered by part of the air fence will have the arrangement that Sheffield has. So it’s probably something that could have happened anywhere but hasn’t until Monday.

Accepting unprofessionalism, and mediocrity and the same old, same old is precisely why the sport has slowly but surely dwindled to a largely amateur performance hanging in there financially, and almost totally reliant upon cash flow from the die-hards who revel in and believe all the excuses.

Edited by Roger Jacobs
Typo

6 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Not provocative mate. It just makes me laugh when people don’t attend matches but think they know the true facts. When the track staff explain something they have worked on and then get slagged off how would you react. Them lads work hard every week and yet some keyboard warrior slates them without knowing what actually happened. It was a one off and hopefully everyone learns from it. Had it been at Ipswich then I think there would have been more lieiency from the home fans regarding the delay. It’s done now so look forward to next meeting 

I think you may have either missed or overlooked part of the point I was making which was had it happened at Ipswich the complaining would in all probability been coming from Tigers fans! 

Anyone abusing track staff (particularly unpaid volunteers) or other fans is out of line no need to even debate that! 

actually perhaps the referee has more of a part of play here - they should be firmer in running the meeting particular in terms of time scales - Frank Ebdon many years back was always able to get a meeting done v quick - air fence issues not withstanding I reckon he’d have got that meeting to heat 15!!! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Most clubs run on a shoestring. 

Sadly there is no doubt about that - On occasions I look up speedway promotions finances - if the average fan knew just how bad a shape their clubs finances are in they would probably be pretty worried about the club folding!!!

Edited by GeneralMelchett

6 minutes ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Frank Ebdon many years back was always able to get a meeting done v quick - air fence issues not withstanding I reckon he’d have got that meeting to heat 15!!! 

Liked to see how Eurosport would have coped with old Frank banging the two minutes on during the ad breaks!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I think you may have either missed or overlooked part of the point I was making which was had it happened at Ipswich the complaining would in all probability been coming from Tigers fans! 

Anyone abusing track staff (particularly unpaid volunteers) or other fans is out of line no need to even debate that! 

actually perhaps the referee has more of a part of play here - they should be firmer in running the meeting particular in terms of time scales - Frank Ebdon many years back was always able to get a meeting done v quick - air fence issues not withstanding I reckon he’d have got that meeting to heat 15!!! 

No not missing your point mate. You can only control what you can control. When something like this happens it’s a one off. Most of our meetings have been over by 9-15. The meeting is controlled by Eurosport. Referee can’t put 2 mins on when it’s advert time. People who just watch it on tv have got to appreciate that. 3 times the other night I heard Ryan Guest say we are just waiting to get the nod from the tv people. I was in the bar and heard it so don’t know why anybody outside didn’t hear it cus the bikes were stationary   If your watching at home and not happy just change Chanel We’ve had GPS when it’s rained and it’s took an hour to relay track. We’ve had track problems at Cardiff with 40000 people attending but it’s not every week. It’s the nature of the sport isn’t it ? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

No not missing your point mate. You can only control what you can control. When something like this happens it’s a one off. Most of our meetings have been over by 9-15. The meeting is controlled by Eurosport. Referee can’t put 2 mins on when it’s advert time. People who just watch it on tv have got to appreciate that. 3 times the other night I heard Ryan Guest say we are just waiting to get the nod from the tv people. I was in the bar and heard it so don’t know why anybody outside didn’t hear it cus the bikes were stationary   If your watching at home and not happy just change Chanel We’ve had GPS when it’s rained and it’s took an hour to relay track. We’ve had track problems at Cardiff with 40000 people attending but it’s not every week. It’s the nature of the sport isn’t it ? 

Yes I am at owlerton a fair bit now and have never in my 20+ years of going had a meeting curtailed by the curfew - something to add to the contigencies planning folder!

I don't think I have disagreed on the nature of what happened and how its never happened before but then referee clearly isn't in charge of the meeting like they are supposed to be, my general understanding was that from the moment they arrive control of the meeting is their shout - clearly it isn't when the TV companies are in town - I suppose beggars can not be choosers! - Eurosport also have a bit to learn from this also.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Liked to see how Eurosport would have coped with old Frank banging the two minutes on during the ad breaks!

yes could have been interesting.

11 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I thin k it was doomed to go over curfew, not just for the fence problem but the full two minutes being used up by riders due to bike trouble or restarts due to tape touching etc.  It did seem like one thing after another even after the restart - the gods weren't being kind. 

I do think refs can do more though to reduce delays.  Two minutes on for each race once previous race riders have returned to the pits.  None of this extra time mullarkey if you have two races in a row - I did three in a row once whilst being rushed to start the next after the previous one and I was nowhere near as fit as the riders these days.  If there's a restart bring them straight up to tapes.  The engines are fine for 16 laps as proved by the 16 lapper, clutches etc. can cope easily with two starts as some do a couple of practice start before the race proves.  People don't like delays these days with naff all to do if you're standing there watching - change that side of it and then breaks could become more palatable.

Interesting update

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but you can't argue with facts

Mark Robinson  - Fanpower News - has had it confirmed via Sheffield Council that they are not aware of any curfew/restriction......

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Interesting update

Mark Robinson  - Fanpower News - has had it confirmed via Sheffield Council that they are not aware of any curfew/restriction......

Don t worry mate our council been like that for years ,never as had a clue about anything 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Interesting update

Maybe the curfew is similar to Jack Holders injuries when he is faced with riding at Ipswich??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, r8gdp said:

Don t worry mate our council been like that for years ,never as had a clue about anything 

In that case the 2 heats could've been run - if the council are that incompetent they would never have realised ;)