British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Look at Life

Next Wednesday (29 June) at 6:10 p.m. on Talking Pictures Channel: Look at Life Riding it Rough. 1961. "A look at the sport of speedway racing…"

Edited by norbold
  • Like 5

Wow! I wish I could watch that... :cry:

EDIT: It looks like there are several showings of the documentary - although it doesn't show the one listed!

https://tv24.co.uk/p/look-at-life-riding-it-rough-gyinwc

And there are compilation DVD's available...

Edited by chunky

Comes up on Wed 29th at 6.10pm when I looked for it

9 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Something weird going on, eh?

There are a bunch of other 'Look at Life' documentaries on YouTube, but not that one.

5 hours ago, arnieg said:

Yes, you're right, sorry.

Carrying their bikes on trailers behind them. Those were the days!

• Like 1

Many thanks Norbold. This was an intresting programme. It was nice to see the old Wimbledon and Southampton tracks, alongside a slice of the Ove Fundin vs Bjorn Knutsson Golden Helmet match race at Southampton.

Not strictly "Look at Life" but does anyone recall this? There was a TV Show called "Today" I think it was with Cliff Michelmore-not sure if it was BBC or ITV. Anyway in around late 1962-63, before I got into Speedway there was an item on speedway-some riders were interviewed. The thrust of the segment was that there were bigger crowds for a lower level rather than  top level speedway- I guess they were talking about the Provincial League. I remember talking about it to some of my mates at High School.  Do any forumlanders of the same vintage as me recall this??

16 hours ago, RobbieB said:

Many thanks Norbold. This was an intresting programme. It was nice to see the old Wimbledon and Southampton tracks, alongside a slice of the Ove Fundin vs Bjorn Knutsson Golden Helmet match race at Southampton.

Most interesting to me was the start, where the riders were held a couple of yards (don’t recall the exact measurements) and when the green light (or whatever) came on, they moved to the tapes which immediately rose. No gardening, no rolling. 
Ah, the good old days.

Will we ever learn from them?

• Like 2

The Look at Life series is readily available on amazon and the feature on Southampton (Vol 4: Sport) is not the only speedway film. There is also a film mainly featuring cycle speedway, but which also includes some splendid footage from Hackney.

• Like 2

Well, obviously due to last week's screening, someone has now uploaded the episode to YouTube! So, I have now seen it. The quality of the footage for the time is astounding...

Nice piece for us enthusiasts to watch. But the actual racing sequences were very tame and would only back up the idea that first out of the gate wins. And the commentator gave that more credence by roughly stating that, although he mentioned the top riders

Pity really, as surely there was some more exciting clips to use. Not sure where this was shown at the time, but wouldn’t have helped the sport out of the doldrums it found itself in

But I enjoyed it