British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

The 'Show' of a meeting

People are always saying that clubs need to do more to make a meeting more of a 'show. Poole for example have fire cannons for when home riders win a race (be honest, they haven't been used a lot in the last couple of meetings), and also used a light show, steam and a LED walkway for the final against Glasgow last year.

What would fans like to see in this respect? Should these sort of things be used at every meeting or just the big meetings such as finals? Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts

I think all the ingredients are there from various tracks around the country they just need to take the best bits from each and put them together.

Leicester starts great with a pretty good rider parade similar to Belle Vue's (which imo is the best) but then send the tractors out for the rest of the night

Peterborough do a pretty good job these days tbh, the rider parade ain't so great but Craig Saul does a very good job bringing rider interviews throughout the evening and usually it's all done and dusted (not that dusty) in 90 minutes.

I don't really get around to enough of the other tracks these days (most of the ones I used to go to have closed) but those that I have been to, Scunthorpe: Like a wake at a funeral, Birmingham: nothing to write home about

7 minutes ago, sandking072 said:

Wolves’ fireworks in bright sunlight after heat 15 is always a winner. 

Maybe black and yellow flares would be better?  Cheap as chips on ebay lol. 

Might be a good idea for all promotions??

Edited by Trees
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Trees said:

Maybe black and yellow flares would be better?  Cheap as chips on ebay lol. 

Might be a good idea for all promotions??

Plenary of flares in Scotland but then they are mostly on the terraces!

7 hours ago, topaz325 said:

A good announcer/presenter makes a lot of difference.

All the difference imo ....

You don't need gimmicks. Speedway can be the best spectacle in the world. It's the stuff around it that spoils much of it.

Take Monday's TV match. What people don't need is lengthy build-ups, as usually happens with live fixtures. It starts with 30 minutes wasted while riders and pundits talk twaddle and throw away stuff that adds nothing to the occasion. It delays the meeting, drags it out,  and then, when something happens like the other night with the fence, the match doesn't run to its conclusion. Then fans feel even more cheated.

People at home can skip the boring part and have the match watched in 20 minutes or so. Those trackside have paid to watch and things should be sped along for them. In between races entertainment is just a recipe for prolonging a night people have merely turned up to watch speedway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trees said:

All the difference imo ....

Dave Hammond at Cowley was one of the best announcers in my opinion...smooth delivery and a nice man into the bargain.

37 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

You don't need gimmicks. Speedway can be the best spectacle in the world. It's the stuff around it that spoils much of it.

Take Monday's TV match. What people don't need is lengthy build-ups, as usually happens with live fixtures. It starts with 30 minutes wasted while riders and pundits talk twaddle and throw away stuff that adds nothing to the occasion. It delays the meeting, drags it out,  and then, when something happens like the other night with the fence, the match doesn't run to its conclusion. Then fans feel even more cheated.

People at home can skip the boring part and have the match watched in 20 minutes or so. Those trackside have paid to watch and things should be sped along for them. In between races entertainment is just a recipe for prolonging a night people have merely turned up to watch speedway.

I was never a fan of 'live' speedway on the TV...too much pontificating. Much better a match that has been edited without all the time wasting.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I was never a fan of 'live' speedway on the TV...too much pontificating. Much better a match that has been edited without all the time wasting.

Maybe go back to the days of talking to the riders 'in the studio' after each race? :)

21 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Dave Hammond at Cowley was one of the best announcers in my opinion...smooth delivery and a nice man into the bargain.

He was also at Brandon for a while - he was excellent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Trees said:

Maybe go back to the days of talking to the riders 'in the studio' after each race? :)

… while the paying spectators wait for the next race!!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

… while the paying spectators wait for the next race!!!!

I liked it though haha. If they played the interview over the tannoys in the stadium that would be OK?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Trees said:

Along with the all-important question, "will you be changing anything on the bike?"

Brilliant times. Those were the days. I miss SKY. Why did it have to end.

Edited by moxey63