British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

The 'Show' of a meeting

2 hours ago, Trees said:

All the difference imo ....

The guy at Lynn in the early 90s was good along with if memory serves me right Peter York at Coventry and not forgetting Ipswichs own John eary 

12 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

The guy at Lynn in the early 90s was good along with if memory serves me right Peter York at Coventry and not forgetting Ipswichs own John eary 

John Earey ("As long as we know") also at White City was very good...never a great fan of Peter York despite being the presenter at Cowley for many years!

Edited by steve roberts

11 hours ago, Trees said:

I liked it though haha. If they played the interview over the tannoys in the stadium that would be OK?

There’s tannoys you can hear and tannoys you can’t 

10 hours ago, steve roberts said:

John Earey ("As long as we know") also at White City was very good...never a great fan of Peter York despite being the presenter at Cowley for many years!

John Earry was also at Brandon, and was among the best I’ve heard anywhere in 50+ years. Peter York rates just below bottom! 

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

I was at Oxford last night (vs Leicester), first of all I'll say what a great match it was and a bit emotional to be back after 15 years... If Cov ever came back it may destroy me lol

But I must comment on the meeting presentation, Oxford had 8 race winners... yet only 2 riders came around for a victory lap! I'm not saying it would but if they'd come round an geed the crowd up a bit more they may have just squeaked it in the end, the crowd can sometimes be your 8th man, the riders really need to engage with the fans more... and what a crowd it was! It was like watching a match from the late 80's and 90's!

Also the "music" played just before the race stats grated on me a bit... 90's club anthem!

Also too much tractor racing!

Oxford are still in their honeymoon period and it was great to be a part of it last night and well done to everybody that has made it happen, but that honeymoon period will eventually wear off and the crowds will level off also.

Great night with a Leicester win though :D

I think it does help to have a good announcer, when Newport returned we had Bob Radford then Jason Harald both were good in different ways.  Presentation of anything is a fine art and needs preparation, thought and skill. 

1 hour ago, Trees said:

Home riders 100% should do a victory lap!!!!

All winners should, to engage with the fans

• Like 1

Bring back a bit of spice!!! I always looked forward to friday nights at Hackney,you never knew what you were going to get,other than a decent race track that was always good week in week out.Also to add a bit of spice let the tapes marchall/referee have a bit of power and give riders red and yellow warning himself.Bring the refs phone into the current error with riders talking to the ref via video tech.

5 hours ago, iainb said:

I was at Oxford last night (vs Leicester), first of all I'll say what a great match it was and a bit emotional to be back after 15 years... If Cov ever came back it may destroy me lol

But I must comment on the meeting presentation, Oxford had 8 race winners... yet only 2 riders came around for a victory lap! I'm not saying it would but if they'd come round an geed the crowd up a bit more they may have just squeaked it in the end, the crowd can sometimes be your 8th man, the riders really need to engage with the fans more... and what a crowd it was! It was like watching a match from the late 80's and 90's!

Also the "music" played just before the race stats grated on me a bit... 90's club anthem!

Also too much tractor racing!

Oxford are still in their honeymoon period and it was great to be a part of it last night and well done to everybody that has made it happen, but that honeymoon period will eventually wear off and the crowds will level off also.

Great night with a Leicester win though :D

Hate it when riders wear helmets on parade,barry campbell used to to doughnuts in front of grandstand at derwent park crowd loved it .

Craig Soul (probably spelt that wrong) was always good at both Rye House and Arena Essex, I also like the guy that still does the mic at Ipswich (name is on the tip of my tongue) and from what little I have seen on TV and the internet, the presenter at Wolves is very passionate and animated too.

I never needed special attractions, just keep the crowd informed and the meeting moved along at a reasonable pace.

All these R/R/s don’t help, so often riders have two on the trot and it breaks up the any momentum, when the action is good, you just want  to keep that buzz going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

Hate it when riders wear helmets on parade,barry campbell used to to doughnuts in front of grandstand at derwent park crowd loved it .

Couldn't agree more...good old H&S and of course once upon a time kids (and the odd adult) were once allowed to ride pillion on the bike during the interval etc.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Trees said:

I liked it though haha. If they played the interview over the tannoys in the stadium that would be OK?

Depends where you stand because if you are in the stand by the starting gate you would'nt hear much of it as the tannoys are rarely working properly.

23 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Was it Mike Bennett at Kings Lynn in the early 90’s ?……

I never took to Peter York though

i used to watch speedway at Claremont in Australia and they had great announcers and the live commentary during races was excellent but something that never worked in Britain at all.

31 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

Was it Mike Bennett at Kings Lynn in the early 90’s ?……

I never took to Peter York though

i used to watch speedway at Claremont in Australia and they had great announcers and the live commentary during races was excellent but something that never worked in Britain at all.

Didn't Dave Lanning try this at Wimbledon?