British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

The 'Show' of a meeting

9 hours ago, Bruiser said:

Was it Mike Bennett at Kings Lynn in the early 90’s ?……

I never took to Peter York though

i used to watch speedway at Claremont in Australia and they had great announcers and the live commentary during races was excellent but something that never worked in Britain at all.

Yes Mike Bennett, I remember going to Lynn on good Friday mornings with Ipswich he was superb and then John Earey at Ipswich in the afternoon, they both helped to create a great atmosphere. Happy days 

I'd like British Speedway to try live commentary, it would help with atmosphere imo.

2 hours ago, Trees said:

I'd like British Speedway to try live commentary, it would help with atmosphere imo.

No! What is the use of this? The whole point of speedway is that you can see the whole race. It's inside a stadium; you don't need to be told what you are seeing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Yes Mike Bennett, I remember going to Lynn on good Friday mornings with Ipswich he was superb and then John Earey at Ipswich in the afternoon, they both helped to create a great atmosphere. Happy days 

Mike Bennett for some reason wasn't a success at Oxford which is something he has often mentioned although he did get a good reception when he made an announcement on behalf of Bernard Crapper deriding a decision made by the match referee on one occasion!

8 hours ago, *JJ said:

No! What is the use of this? The whole point of speedway is that you can see the whole race. It's inside a stadium; you don't need to be told what you are seeing.

Entertainment of course

14 hours ago, Trees said:

Entertainment of course

Annoying, of course!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, *JJ said:

Annoying, of course!

You can buy earplugs...

One of the problems with modern speedway (for me, anyway) is that it has become too "clean". I know H&S has played a part, but there's more to it than that.

Yes, machinery dictates the track surfaces, but I miss the deep dirt on the tracks, with he-men struggling to control bucking broncos. I miss getting covered - or trying to avoid getting covered - in shale. I miss bags of sawdust being dumped on the bends. We never knew what a poxy "blue groove" was.

That was all part of the show for me, like riders doing the parade without helmets, rakers, being pushed off on the track, tractor rides, bike racks etc... I loved the fact that it was a lot simpler and more basic back then.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chunky said:

One of the problems with modern speedway (for me, anyway) is that it has become too "clean". I know H&S has played a part, but there's more to it than that.

Yes, machinery dictates the track surfaces, but I miss the deep dirt on the tracks, with he-men struggling to control bucking broncos. I miss getting covered - or trying to avoid getting covered - in shale. I miss bags of sawdust being dumped on the bends. We never knew what a poxy "blue groove" was.

That was all part of the show for me, like riders doing the parade without helmets, rakers, being pushed off on the track, tractor rides, bike racks etc... I loved the fact that it was a lot simpler and more basic back then.

Yes .....

49 minutes ago, chunky said:

Couldn't agree more and Team Managers getting all agitated on the phone to the ref in full view of the fans even, as Bernard Crapper once admitted to me, if it was a way of winding up the fans and generating some theatre in proceedings during a dull meeting!

Edited by steve roberts

On 7/1/2022 at 6:37 AM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Indeed he did, it sort of works but only because he excelled at commentary. It's on you tube somewhere.

My recollection was that in the stadium you could only hear the commentary on the last lap, whereas on the You Tube videos you can hear him throughout the race. What he was able to do was use the commentary to gee up the crowd if the Dons had pulled off a good race win and he was one part of an excellent promotion team. Mike Bennet was excellent when he was at Wimbledon, too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chadster said:

My recollection was that in the stadium you could only hear the commentary on the last lap, whereas on the You Tube videos you can hear him throughout the race.

Well, we couldn't hear Dave because of the noise WE'D be making during the race!