British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Berwick Bandits 29/6/22

49 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t know why so many people knock Kemp, he can be a bit inconsistent but he still young and learning.

Don't think anyone has said anything about Drew? Not in this league anyway. Wolves fans a different matter though. 

Having started this thread here are my thoughts on tonights meeting.

Firstly , what a rider Chris Bomber Harris is 17 + 1 and untouchable. Also a special mention for Leon Flint a real star in the making. First three rides and unbeaten. Also a good debut from Jonas Knudson.

If all the Bandits had been on form than Poole would have lost at home agsin.

Fortress Wimborne Road is no more. Since the track has been smoothed out there is no longer any home track advantage. 

Why oh why do the riders want it slick with only the  1 racing line out wide.

We brought new shale with more clay content in it and now the riders have asked for the extra dirt to be taken off.

Poole need to decide quickly what to do regarding track prep as all the away teams are coming without any fear and making us look very ordinary.

Edited by Shaleshifter

45 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t know why so many people knock Kemp, he can be a bit inconsistent but he still young and learning.

Looks like Drew 118 saved the pirates ship from sinking tonight.  The pirates 3x number one's didn't score as expected/required. However recent Poole results have made the Championship more open/interesting & a smaller wage bill for the Fords! 

26 minutes ago, Shaleshifter said:

Having started this thread here are my thoughts on tonights meeting.

Firstly , what a rider Chris Bomber Harris is 17 + 1 and untouchable. Also a special mention for Leon Flint a real star in the making. First three rides and unbeaten. Also a good debut from Jonas Knudson.

If all the Bandits had been on form than Poole would have lost at home agsin.

Fortress Wimborne Road is no more. Since the track has been smoothed out there is no longer any home track advantage. 

Why oh why do the riders want it slick with only the  1 racing line out wide.

We brought new shale with more clay content in it and now the riders have asked for the extra dirt to be taken off.

Poole need to decide quickly what to do regarding track prep as all the away teams are coming without any fear and making us look very ordinary.

That sounds like the captain influence to me! ;)

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

So have I (top of the picture :) )

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Reasonable enough performance I suppose but you would've thought giving the experience of Pijper and Wells they should be able to get more than two points between them. Their early season form has deserted them.

poor meeting last night poor crowd .and a good job berwick were only a three man team otherwise we would have lost just my opinion .i would think glasgow will come full of confidence in two weeks time .it will be good to see how good danyon will ride 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ray c said:

poor meeting last night poor crowd .and a good job berwick were only a three man team otherwise we would have lost just my opinion .i would think glasgow will come full of confidence in two weeks time .it will be good to see how good danyon will ride 

Danyon is a good rider who is improving all the time and someone we should of kept in my opinion. Maybe he wanted the move as his child lives in Glasgow or close by apparently also a shame Basso didn't stay. Building a team with 3 top riders and a reserve that doesn't score any points is always going to be a problem. 

21 minutes ago, ray c said:

yes ray danyon certainly improved big time since leaving poole

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Essex said:

The last few meetings seem to highlight we are a 6 man team,try as he may Nathan is not scoring any points and I wonder how long the Ford's will let this situation continue.If they choose to make a change will one of the other 6 be sacrificed or am I talking nonsense ?

I’m not a Poole fan but think you are talking nonsense.3 good heat leaders and 3 riders with potential only having to carry Nathan which was probably expected.

• Like 2

Close meeting last night, Bomber and Leon were very good, Knudsen looks very promising, a really good signing I think. Berwick were very unfortunate to leave without something.

The start marshal in heat 11 got himself sandwiched between two riders. Instead of crossing his arms and getting the referee to abort the start he levered drew kemp out the way by lifting up his clutch hand. Someone needs to have a word with him, because that was unbelievably dangerous let alone a major disadvantage to Drew.

I think all the first bend incidents could have gone either way, the Referee clearly had decided that if there wasn't contact, then the riders went down on the own, at their own fault.  He clearly had no concept of having "no where to go". Poor decisions in the main. But he was consistent    :D

The track was bit one line, with the inside offering very little after the first few heats. The threat of rain probably the reason for it being dry. tracks do dry out so quickly these days, because of the materials used, and with clay being added to the to dressing more recently, you cannot water it during the meeting as it goes like ice on the slick insides. just look at how a potters wheel goes when it gets water on it. So I do have some sympathy with the track man. It's almost impossible these days with cheap clay being used

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

I’m not a Poole fan but think you are talking nonsense.3 good heat leaders and 3 riders with potential only having to carry Nathan which was probably expected.

Danny Ford has stated more than once that Nathan is a long-term project so I don't see him leaving any time soon.

Its the heat leaders that have 'gone off the boil' a little - maybe down to the track but that doesn't explain the poor gating!  Bomber proved you can gate and win from every gate even though it made the meeting very processional!!!

Incidentally the July team average is 43.06 - a mere 1.06 above the 42 point team building average I believe. It'll be interesting to see what it is by the cut-off date for the play-offs?!  Do Summer Trophy meetings count towards GSA and team averages?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ray c said:

I watched the stream this morning (despite seeing it all 'live' last night) and admit I was a little surprised to hear the Commentary say 'what a great crowd and meeting in a nice stadium it was'!!!? Just goes to show what other tracks must be experiencing..!!

Edited by Skidder1

Can someone refresh me on the 2  bad decisions that both Team managers referred to on the stream last night please.  I thought Flint's was fair as there was no contact....but i will admit i am not a connoisseur of the rulebook.  Thanks