British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Col

Aces v Tigers - League - 4/7

Well done Belle Vue  some brilliant racing especially from your guys. We were very poor tonight and couldn’t get a decent set up between the 7 riders. You would have smashed any team tonight on that form and I think you probably will in the coming weeks. I think our top boys are doing too much and not got sufficient equipment to cope with the demand. Looked a bit tired men and machinery tonight. 

Just now, Rob B said:

A third party cockup you mean, nothing to do with Belle Vue. Their card machine wasn’t working, don’t know why they couldn’t take cash instead but they decided not to serve instead, big loss of income for their company. 

Exactly. Belle Vue already been paid but it doesn’t look good on belle Vue also 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Newcastle were getting 250, that’s shocking.

Well yes obv. But I'd expect BV to get more than 1800 though esp against Sheffield and no TV. 

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

Have you not been watching much British Speedway LC? :D

I would suggest it is a very good crowd...

Poole get 1300-1500 or so dont they I seem to remember Steve S mentioning not too long ago..

Which, given they are Div 2 is no mean figure.. 

When they were in Div 1 they did get over 2000 quite regularly when Ward and Holder rode there didnt they? 

However, they were not getting those crowds when they decided to drop down I would imagine, hence the decision taken to drop...

Any crowd over 1500 is good for British Speedway nowadays, and at £20 a pop brings in circa £30k which means you should be able to pay two meetings out of it and cover your staging costs I would think, with maybe a bit left over..

Even when HMRC is paid their dues...:D

Poole got around 2500 against Oxford. You telling me a lower league can attract a larger crowd. Crazy! I mean it was on Good Friday but that is neither here or there ;):P

When we had Ward and Holder prob over 3000, maybe? Well definitely in the summer holiday season! 

Edited by lisa-colette

1 hour ago, mikebv said:

"Bring a friend, bring a neighbour" is not really much of a marketing plan, but fair play to the presenter for giving it a go....:D

Half price tickets tonight, or maybe better, even BOGOFs, would have brought a fair few back who simply wont be there next week as many there tonight will watch it on TV...

The club have to be fair to season ticket holders who stumped up the money at the start of the season, for little more than a free program - which if it wasn't included I certainly wouldn't buy.  I read (most of) it but it's hardly compelling!

1 hour ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Anyone know know why the 'bar' on South stand was closed ? Another belle Vue cock up ? 

The burger vans outside the grandstand were also absent.

If the Aces are in that form I dread to think how one sided the televised match next week is likely to be, guessing no NKI and with Wolves at the EoESg, riders from Tigers/Witches available to guest... I'd assume Doyle & Holders averages are too high?  Don't pretend to know the rules now but looking at the GSA's I think King & Ellis are also too high.

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

1500 + isn't bad these days. I know BV need more  because of running costs.

Says it all really! It is a shame that is classed as a good crowd. 

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole got around 2500 against Oxford. You telling me a lower league can attract a larger crowd. Crazy! I mean it was on Good Friday but that is neither here or there ;):P

When we had Ward and Holder prob over 3000, maybe? Well definitely in the summer holiday season! 

I attended in  high summer once when Poole had Holder & Ward (Kasprzak out-shone both that night against the Panthers), the aging grandstand was full and there was a smattering of fans on both bends but nowhere near 3000.  Unless that grandstand has Tardis qualities.  A few years later, on my second visit against AJ's abject Hammers with Kurtz & Andersen (don't remember any other riders) the crowd was about the same.

Edited by Col

4 minutes ago, Col said:

I attended in  high summer once when Poole had Holder & Ward (Kasprzak out-shone both that night against the Panthers), the aging grandstand was full an there was a smattering of fans on both bends but nowhere near 3000.  Unless that grandstand has Tardis qualities.

What about the glass grandstand? ;)Also depends what year it was I suppose? Form also dictates crowd size. Have rewatched some Holder and Ward races on YT and is nearly double to what it is now. First and 4th bends were a few rows of people standing.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

What about the glass grandstand? ;)Also depends what year it was I suppose? Form also dictates crowd size. Have rewatched some Holder and Ward races on YT and is nearly double to what it is now. First and 4th bends were a few rows of people standing.

Unless uk discover Icey cold xxxx bitter cans and put on the bar, the crowds will always be down

6 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Says it all really! It is a shame that is classed as a good crowd. 

I dont understand the ongoing obsession speedway fans have in the UK regarding crowds, fact is no club in the country gets good crowds, i can remember when every track i visited got four or five figure crowds, BV for example would take 6 coaches down to Swindon as well as people making their own way. Away fans came in large numbers to Hyde Road as it was a family day out with the fun fair and zoo, the BLRC could have 20,000 fans in, just to think speedway used to get football type crowds on a regular basis many years ago, those days are long finished. Sad to see the sport as it is today  Lisa. Maybe the powers that be need to study where Poland was then and how they got to where they are now? Next up tv meeting with the majority staying to watch on tv.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob B said:

A third party cockup you mean, nothing to do with Belle Vue. Their card machine wasn’t working, don’t know why they couldn’t take cash instead but they decided not to serve instead, big loss of income for their company. 

Exactly the response I was expecting. I personally don’t care but I can imagine first timers or away supporters not being over happy. It’s not the first time there’s either not been any drinks or they’ve run out at 7.30 . Imagine that happening at a footy game …

34 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

Exactly the response I was expecting. I personally don’t care but I can imagine first timers or away supporters not being over happy. It’s not the first time there’s either not been any drinks or they’ve run out at 7.30 . Imagine that happening at a footy game …

It did at Old Trafford last season for Manchester United match, couldn’t sell at food or drink in whole stadium as card system was down.

Also Wolves v Belle Vue couple of weeks ago, Wolverhampton were not selling any food or drink before the meeting as all their tills had problem, we didn’t come on here slating Wolves. 

Edited by Rob B

7 hours ago, Col said:

The club have to be fair to season ticket holders who stumped up the money at the start of the season, for little more than a free program - which if it wasn't included I certainly wouldn't buy.  I read (most of) it but it's hardly compelling!

The burger vans outside the grandstand were also absent.

If the Aces are in that form I dread to think how one sided the televised match next week is likely to be, guessing no NKI and with Wolves at the EoESg, riders from Tigers/Witches available to guest... I'd assume Doyle & Holders averages are too high?  Don't pretend to know the rules now but looking at the GSA's I think King & Ellis are also too high.

Riss, Cook or Howarth I'd imagine, none of who will get near what Puk might score. Kerr poor at the moment too so could be another similar scoreline to last night. 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

It did at Old Trafford last season for Manchester United match, couldn’t sell at food or drink in whole stadium as card system was down.

Also Wolves v Belle Vue couple of weeks ago, Wolverhampton were not selling any food or drink before the meeting as all their tills had problem, we didn’t come on here slating Wolves. 

We had a similar problem at Rotherham last season. Electronic entry to ground not working on the away end so everyone through one turn style only to get in the ground and tills not working. The joys of been a sports fan in the modern world. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

typical poole supporter mentality , zero thought for anything else going on in the sport, poole have had the best speedway attendances for the last 20 years, good sides, loads of money available etc, not every team can cut its cloth that way hence several going skint / out of business