British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Ken Le Breton

Just been reading up on the history of Ashfield Giants and how it's been suggested that the very sad death of Star Rider Ken Le Breton brought forward the ultimate closure of Saracen Park due to falling attendances (very healthy compared to today it has to be said). Ken with his distinctive white leathers was labelled "The White Ghost" and was dedicated to his speedway and his wife Joan. It has been suggetsed that the untimely death of Tommy Jansson had a similar effect on Wimbledon and that it was never the same again although Plough Lane did continue to run speedway for many years after Tommy died.

Edited by steve roberts

If Ken had been spared, would he have sought a move south to a First Division track, just as Jack Young did? Seems likely and it would probably have had the same impact on attendances at Ashfield. Johnnnie Hoskins seems to have pulled off quite a coup selling Willie Wilson to Belle Vue for a reputed £1500, quite a sum in these days.incidentally Johnnie was the manager at Belle Vue at the time.

The open licence season in 1953 was a real case of flogging a dead horse. There was never any chance of it succeeding. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Beirao said:

If Ken had been spared, would he have sought a move south to a First Division track, just as Jack Young did? Seems likely and it would probably have had the same impact on attendances at Ashfield. Johnnnie Hoskins seems to have pulled off quite a coup selling Willie Wilson to Belle Vue for a reputed £1500, quite a sum in these days.incidentally Johnnie was the manager at Belle Vue at the time.

The open licence season in 1953 was a real case of flogging a dead horse. There was never any chance of it succeeding. 

He did ride for New Cross in 1947.

Yes and was sent to Newcastle in a swap deal and Newcastle subsequently moved to Ashfield. 

On 7/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, Beirao said:

Yes and was sent to Newcastle in a swap deal and Newcastle subsequently moved to Ashfield. 

The swap deal as I recall was Ken le Breton and £1,000 to bring Jeff Lloyd to New Cross.

16 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

I was at New Cross the night in 1947 when Ken le Breton was introduced to the fans. And something he was carrying raised a big cheer from the crowd!

Sorry, I can't read that. Could you make the font a little larger, please?

11 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

This appears to be a fault with my postings in regard to items. The matter has been reported to the BSF Moderator for his attention.

I suggest you try and alter your font size on the tool bar when you post

6 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I suggest you try and alter your font size on the tool bar when you post

Whatool bar?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Whatool bar?

Never mind all that....what was he carrying?

3 minutes ago, norbold said:

Never mind all that....what was he carrying?

Do you think John knows?

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

WTF

What? You want to know what he was carrying too?

• Haha 1

Well i guess we can rule out the Ashes, as instead of cheering it would have probably caused a riot :D

I know of one occasion when Francis James (nicknamed Ken) Le Breton raised a cheer and a smile at New Cross.  Guess what he was carrying that time:
(a) an injury
(b) a passenger
(c) an umbrella

15 minutes ago, BL65 said:

I know of one occasion when Francis James (nicknamed Ken) Le Breton raised a cheer and a smile at New Cross.  Guess what he was carrying that time:
(a) an injury
(b) a passenger
(c) an umbrella

What about

(d) all of the above?