British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Ken Le Breton

46 minutes ago, chunky said:

What about

(d) all of the above?

On the wet night in question I am sure that he was uninjured.

7 minutes ago, BL65 said:

On the wet night in question I am sure that he was uninjured.

Can you give us a clue ?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Can you give us a clue ?

Best I can do is that he was known as 'the umbrella man' for a short time afterwards.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BL65 said:

Best I can do is that he was known as 'the umbrella man' for a short time afterwards.

No, sorry, give up.

Remember reading Johnnie Hoskins' fascinating book "Speedway Walkabout" where he was in the compsny of a clairvoyant who was in contact with someone to do with motor cycles and her description matched that of Ken. Ken's messaage from the other side to Johnnie was "Tell Joan she is still mine".

As a New Cross rider I think Ken le Breton only rode once for New Cross, as a reserve in an away match at Belle Vue.

59 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

As a New Cross rider I think Ken le Breton only rode once for New Cross, as a reserve in an away match at Belle Vue.

Nope. He also rode at home against Harringay.

Ken le Breton was not riding on the night he was introduced from the centre green to New Cross supporters while carrying an umbrella. 

Edited by Guest
spelling error

13 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Ken le Breton was not riding on the night he was introduced from the centre green to New Cross supporters while carrying an umbrella. 

He was late in arriving, having attended a meeting with Bill Rose, the scriptwriter for the film 'Once A Jolly Swagman'.  Still wearing the suit he had hired for the meeting, he needed the umbrella to keep it dry.

• Like 3

Didn't Le Breton die in a double death tragedy in Australia in the early 1950s which also involved Ray Duggan?

14 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Didn't Le Breton die in a double death tragedy in Australia in the early 1950s which also involved Ray Duggan?

The accident involving Ray was with Norman Clay.

17 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Nope. That was Norman Clay... I would have thought that was common knowledge.

Ken Le Breton died after clipping Eddie Rigg's back wheel.

Edited by chunky
  • Confused 1

Missed only chance of seeing Ken Le Breton at Bristol in 1950 when he turned up late for what he thought was a second half booking only to find that he was in the main meeting as a "Star Of Tomorrow and had been replaced by Tom Oakley who happened to be there with his brother Bob. The other Stars were Fred Brand, Tommy Miller, Alan Hunt, Derek Close, Ken Middleditch and Jack Summers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

You are so superior Chunky sad really.

What? John thought he only rode one meeting; what's wrong with providing correct information?

• Like 1