British Speedway Forum
Fozzie4388

Birmingham vs Oxford 20/7/22 (CJL)

28 minutes ago, Historian said:

You're welcome. repeating gossip from the uninformed is not a good Idea. I was there last night, track as smooth as a babys botty the only issue was a groove going into turn 3 which filled with soft material it only bothered the oxford riders when the Summer went down and the brummies got a 5-1. there was plenty of dirt on it , John Priest was watering from the early hrs of wed morning ,was watering prior to the start and during the meeting dust did get worse towards the latter part of the meeting. many riders have commented that the track gets better each week, additional shale and clay binder has been added each week. our track man can only prepare the track on race days, he  is there till after midnight. you can only put so much water on a bone hard track or it becomes a skating rink. Its a shame that posters can only moan and  be negative and cant find anything good to say about yet another exciting meeting with plenty of passing much by the Oxford riders ,  Troy Batchelor had no probs.

Repeating gossip from the uninformed? I spoke with two riders who took to the track yesterday and both said it was garbage, peeling up in chunks, ruts and holes all over the place. John is a good track man but watering too heavy in advance can make the surface loose and dig out badly. The early reports about the Brum track were good, recent reports have been sketchy and last nights conclusion was it was dangerous and neither rider was excited about riding there again.

As you say i wasn't there and im definitely not likely to be there until the issues are resolved, Brum are hanging on by a thread anyways and blundering through meetings whilst denying any issues certainly won't last for long. 

3 hours ago, Historian said:

You're welcome. repeating gossip from the uninformed is not a good Idea. I was there last night, track as smooth as a babys botty the only issue was a groove going into turn 3 which filled with soft material it only bothered the oxford riders when the Summer went down and the brummies got a 5-1. there was plenty of dirt on it , John Priest was watering from the early hrs of wed morning ,was watering prior to the start and during the meeting dust did get worse towards the latter part of the meeting. many riders have commented that the track gets better each week, additional shale and clay binder has been added each week. our track man can only prepare the track on race days, he  is there till after midnight. you can only put so much water on a bone hard track or it becomes a skating rink. Its a shame that posters can only moan and  be negative and cant find anything good to say about yet another exciting meeting with plenty of passing much by the Oxford riders ,  Troy Batchelor had no probs.

Hopefully its all sorted for next Wednesday when the Pirates are in town?!  I know its especially difficult in the hot conditions and also if there are restrictions on when you can actually work on the track!

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Repeating gossip from the uninformed? I spoke with two riders who took to the track yesterday and both said it was garbage, peeling up in chunks, ruts and holes all over the place. John is a good track man but watering too heavy in advance can make the surface loose and dig out badly. The early reports about the Brum track were good, recent reports have been sketchy and last nights conclusion was it was dangerous and neither rider was excited about riding there again.

Then they should have taken Arthur Browning's advice to 'man up, and get on with it'.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Then they should have taken Arthur Browning's advice to 'man up, and get on with it'.

Man up is one of the most stupidest sayings around tbf!

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, *JJ said:

There are about 20 things wrong with that response and you wouldn't understand any of them.

5 hours ago, lucifer sam said:

No excuse.

No dust at Oxford at Tuesday - which was actually held ON the hottest day of the year, not the day after - until around Heat 13.

You can't compare Oxford and Brum like for like Rob

Oxford are blessed with a stadium owner who allows unrestricted access to the track, you also have much better equipment and have no access issues during a meeting

Brum, are only allowed on the track on race days, are working with equipment (despite investment over past few months) that is mainly past its best and are restricted with the amount of access to equipment during a meeting due to landlord restrictions in place.

Sorry if last nights track wasn't up to scratch, I know it wouldn't be through lack of effort from John the curator at PB.   The Directors, Promoters and hard working track staff are really doing their best for Birmingham Speedway, it's been a very tough baptism of fire on and off the track, but the majority shareholders Nigel and Tracey are really good people.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Thank you to the three guest riders who racked up 33 out of Birmingham's 46 points.

So, Oxford added Jack Thomas to their team mid-season?  Kind of goes to show what can be done. And yet the Brummies still insist on preferring to hire guest riders rather than fielding their "own" team. :(  The number of times that Tom Brennan has appeared for the Brummies this year, it must seem like he's the nearest there is to a rider that is "trippling-up". 

So with long term injuries to Auty and Shanes, plus the fact that Vissing decided to go missing, what else can the club do Martin?   Can you name riders, who are prepared to sign up to ride in the championship, who are twiddling their thumbs waiting on a call?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The H Man said:

So with long term injuries to Auty and Shanes, plus the fact that Vissing decided to go missing, what else can the club do Martin?   Can you name riders, who are prepared to sign up to ride in the championship, who are twiddling their thumbs waiting on a call?

Not sure if he is fit after his injury, but Matthew Wethers would do a decent job in the middle of the team.  A rider who always tries his best, when I have seen him riding.  Cannot think of any other UK based riders.

1 hour ago, The H Man said:

You can't compare Oxford and Brum like for like Rob

Oxford are blessed with a stadium owner who allows unrestricted access to the track, you also have much better equipment and have no access issues during a meeting

Brum, are only allowed on the track on race days, are working with equipment (despite investment over past few months) that is mainly past its best and are restricted with the amount of access to equipment during a meeting due to landlord restrictions in place.

Sorry if last nights track wasn't up to scratch, I know it wouldn't be through lack of effort from John the curator at PB.   The Directors, Promoters and hard working track staff are really doing their best for Birmingham Speedway, it's been a very tough baptism of fire on and off the track, but the majority shareholders Nigel and Tracey are really good people.   

I don't think anybody has criticised the effort of the Birmingham track staff, have they?

People have just stated the track wasn't in very good condition. I'm sure a lot of effort was put in, and you've rightly defended them, but that doesn't mean all that effort resulted in a good track. It happens sometimes.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

There are about 20 things wrong with that response and you wouldn't understand any of them.

20? it was only one quotation, from an expert multi-talented motorcyclist. And how do you know what I would understand or not? You have no idea who I am. Please stop your own ignorance, which you seem determined to display.

1 hour ago, shippy22 said:

Not sure if he is fit after his injury, but Matthew Wethers would do a decent job in the middle of the team.  A rider who always tries his best, when I have seen him riding.  Cannot think of any other UK based riders.

yes, discussions have taken place with MW.  

1 hour ago, baiden said:

I don't think anybody has criticised the effort of the Birmingham track staff, have they?

People have just stated the track wasn't in very good condition. I'm sure a lot of effort was put in, and you've rightly defended them, but that doesn't mean all that effort resulted in a good track. It happens sometimes.

agree, effort doesn't necessarily mean a good track - was just pointing out to Rob that like for like with Oxford isn't a fair comparison due to track time, machinery, landlord etc!

• Like 2

How many current Trackmen where around in 1976 (our last heat wave) & have experience of dealing with such track conditions in extreme weather conditions?

Also "Shale" was of a fare superior quality back in the day. 

29 minutes ago, *JJ said:

20? it was only one quotation, from an expert multi-talented motorcyclist. And how do you know what I would understand or not? You have no idea who I am. Please stop your own ignorance, which you seem determined to display.

It is a vastly out dated quotation that has caused far more harm than good throughout it use over the years and needs to be put to bed. 

I am fully aware of who you are, who you are grandfather of and your prowess (or lack of) for manoeuvring a trailer. If you are ignorant enough to be using the quote on the first place you clearly do not understand its harmfulness. Good day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shippy22 said:

Ty Proctor