Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
PowerfulPierre

Leicester vs Berwick 24 July. 6.00p.m.

Just added to the Leicester website in the last few minutes:

*UPDATE: Sunday 9.15am: Berwick have confirmed Jonas Knudsen's permitted paid engagement ran out last night, and his visa is not through yet. Connor Coles guests for him on Sunday.

At least we'll get to see Clegg vs Coles! I wonder if Connor will be wearing his Leicester race suit?

Edited by iainb

@screm Never doubted you :rofl:

So, If he's not ridden enough meetings to be a Berwick asset, he may very well be Glasgow bound

Edited by iainb

6 minutes ago, iainb said:

@screm Never doubted you :rofl:

So, If he's not ridden enough meetings to be a Berwick asset, he may very well be Glasgow bound

What is it, 4h and 4a? Basso didn't do the right amount of home and away meetings and was still a Poole asset at end of last season. 

2 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

What is it, 4h and 4a? Basso didn't do the right amount of home and away meetings and was still a Poole asset at end of last season. 

Different rules for Poole though ;-)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, iainb said:

So IF Connor Coles is guesting for Knudsen he'll be riding against the team he's trying to progress into... just when you think Speedway couldn't get to new levels of stupidity, it never fails to surprise you!

Used to happen all the time back in the 70s and 80s when the sport was semi-professional and on "tours". Teams would arrive missing an injured rider and use a local reserve or "junior". So those "levels of stupidity" would happen regularly.

Something to ponder for those who think that things were always better in the olden days or want the sport to go back to being semi-professional?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Glasgow helped Berwick getting the original visa for Knudson as I don't think Berwick have a license to do so, whether that means there was an agreement between Berwick and Glasgow that Knudson would become their asset and join them for next season I wouldn't know, time will tell on that one. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I wonder if Connor will be wearing his Leicester race suit?

It reveals a lot about our minds that I had the exact same thought B) I'm sure it won't happen.

On a serious note I don't have a problem with Connor guesting for Berwick today. If the roles were reversed, we'd be saying what a master stroke. It's actually an opportunity for Connor to show how he can perform at home in the Championship. Mind you, if he scores significantly in an away win, I won't be quite so happy. :P

• Like 1

Harris`s return tonight does strengthen Berwick, but Leicester will still enjoy a comfortable home win IMO. 

19 minutes ago, topsoil said:

Used to happen all the time back in the 70s and 80s when the sport was semi-professional and on "tours". Teams would arrive missing an injured rider and use a local reserve or "junior". So those "levels of stupidity" would happen regularly.

Something to ponder for those who think that things were always better in the olden days or want the sport to go back to being semi-professional?

It was always "a bit Mickey Mouse" from a long time back...

The huge difference though of course is that in those days any "level of stupidity" was invariably only found out after you had paid your money and gone into the track...

And you often still would have had several "superstars of the sport" to watch, which was often the main reason for going..

Now the teams are known on social media in advance, meaning fans then can decide to "give it a swerve" if they feel it is "too contrived"..

It certainly won't be in the plan to run the sport "less contrived", so not informing anyone of changes would be easier to do, and wouldn't adversely impact the crowd numbers..

Maybe that is a scenario we could return to? Especially given how low crowd numbers are now in relation to the "olden days"...

Meaning that even just double digit drops in numbers can be a problem for some tracks...

Just now, screm said:

Harris`s return tonight does strengthen Berwick, but Leicester will still enjoy a comfortable home win IMO. 

52-38 to Leicester

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Getting an average and becoming an asset are two entirely different things though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Normski said:

52-38 to Leicester

More like 58-32 I'd say. The loss of Jonas on away tracks will be a big factor today! 

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Getting an average and becoming an asset are two entirely different things though.

But apparently they have to do a certain amount of meetings to become an asset. I can't remember how many it is, but seem to remember Basso was 1 or 2 short. 

3 minutes ago, Bandits4eva said:

More like 58-32 I'd say. The loss of Jonas on away tracks will be a big factor today! 

True he has been one of our better away performers especially when you think he is seeing these tracks for the first time