Birmingham v Poole and return leg. 27-29/7/22. Jubilee League

55 minutes ago, paulboy said:

To be fair, from a speedway fan that's a pretty ironic comment lol

Did you mean 'iconic'? :rofl::rofl::cheers:

17 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Did you mean 'iconic'? :rofl::rofl::cheers:

Behave 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:28 PM, OGT said:

If the council tax payers of Birmingham had voted on whether to hold the games or not, I'd wager the result would have been a big fat no. No other city wanted them, Brum stepped in. 

And there is the problem, you say the council tax payers would have said No, but these same people get offended when people say anything bad about Birmingham or we get offered nothing, we as a city were offered to host the games and rightly accepted it, it is our chance to show the world what a great city we do have. Birmingham has been left behind for far too long and thanks to a tight miserly council we gladly hung around whilst every other city stepped up and promoted themselves, Birmingham City centre is going through a complete change for the better, the Birmingham City centre  of just 20 years ago is totally unrecognisable from today, it's modern, its vibrant and what pleases me most is it is very multi cultural, these games will bring much needed tourism and put us in the spotlight, whether we wanted the games is irrelevant, we have got them and from what I see it's going to be great, despite not spending the like of money that Manchester threw when they had it, be proud of our city, be proud of our people and support us for these games, we had our dark days in the 70s with the IRA pub bombings, now its our time to shine, get behind us 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

And there is the problem, you say the council tax payers would have said No, but these same people get offended when people say anything bad about Birmingham or we get offered nothing, we as a city were offered to host the games and rightly accepted it, it is our chance to show the world what a great city we do have. Birmingham has been left behind for far too long and thanks to a tight miserly council we gladly hung around whilst every other city stepped up and promoted themselves, Birmingham City centre is going through a complete change for the better, the Birmingham City centre  of just 20 years ago is totally unrecognisable from today, it's modern, its vibrant and what pleases me most is it is very multi cultural, these games will bring much needed tourism and put us in the spotlight, whether we wanted the games is irrelevant, we have got them and from what I see it's going to be great, despite not spending the like of money that Manchester threw when they had it, be proud of our city, be proud of our people and support us for these games, we had our dark days in the 70s with the IRA pub bombings, now its our time to shine, get behind us 

Next stop - Eurovision Song Contest!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

We did that years ago. We have NEC, NIA and ICC they were staging World and European Championships of sports like Badminton, lndoor Athletics, Table Tennis, Gymnastics etc plus G7 World Leaders when other major cities outside of London called a converted train shed a Conference Centre. 

Edited by HGould
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Skidder1 said:

Why not?, anything that promotes your city is not bad, we do have some first class venues in Birmingham, Edgbaston one of the great cricket stadiums in the world, Villa Park top class stadium even though it hurts me to say that, the NIA, the NEC on the outskirts, the symphony Hall, the list is endless, I for one am proud of my city, and proud to be a brummie, I will always hold my head high, Birmingham is just as good as any city in the UK. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Why not?, anything that promotes your city is not bad, we do have some first class venues in Birmingham, Edgbaston one of the great cricket stadiums in the world, Villa Park top class stadium even though it hurts me to say that, the NIA, the NEC on the outskirts, the symphony Hall, the list is endless, I for one am proud of my city, and proud to be a brummie, I will always hold my head high, Birmingham is just as good as any city in the UK. 

I wasn't joking. I was being serious. Unfortunately my former venue doesn't have enough capacity to allow it to bid.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HGould said:

We did that years ago. We have NEC, NIA and ICC they were staging World and European Championships of sports like Badminton, lndoor Athletics, Table Tennis, Gymnastics etc plus G7 World Leaders when other major cities outside of London called a converted train shed a Conference Centre. 

I've been to all 3 in a working capacity. Isn't it amazing what European funding can do?!

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

I've been to all 3 in a working capacity. Isn't it amazing what European funding can do?!

Indeed

• Like 1

As expected an easy win but made easier with Neilsen and Morris both withdrawing.

Well done to Ben Cook on his first heat 15 and a paid 16 haul. Really is scoring well down at reserve.

Hopefully Birmingham will be able to put out a more competitive team on Friday night. Don’t want to watch a rout.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hopefully Birmingham will be able to put out a more competitive team on Friday night. Don’t want to watch a rout.

Definitely mellowing Steve.. You loved them when you were in the Premiership 

• Like 1

Serious question - are there any rules about the number of guests in a 1-7?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Serious question - are there any rules about the number of guests in a 1-7?

Not sure @NeilWatson will know. Not sure if you can have guests for second string riders. But if both out then would have to have one guest. So probably could have 6 guests and r/r? 

Just like to say speedy recovery to Ash Morris and Stef Nielsen. Also a big well done to Ben Cook tonight. I don't think he gets enough credit for his performances this season. Especially if his meetings are only for us. Unless he has been getting some extra meetings now? He definitely deserves them. 

• Like 1