British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole and return leg. 27-29/7/22. Jubilee League

45 minutes ago, crescent girl said:

Fine, but.....

If the extra tournament had been staged in springtime, the meetings now taking place would be Championship matches -- with the same number of injured/suspended/unavailable riders missing.

Birmingham (and Plymouth) have been blighted this season, with every effort to replace long-term absentees thwarted by total unavailability of new riders.

The real reason for the drastic rider-famine is Brexit.     Any speedway fan who voted for it must now be realising what a monster they helped create.

I don't agree completely with that. There is a current dearth of British riders of age approx 25-35 because of a lack of co-ordinated rider development initiatives. Reasons for that? Easier and cheaper to bring in foreign riders and the money from TV being spaffed up the wall on ridiculous money to star riders - again, mostly foreign. 

The Brexit argument you forward is only responsible for some of the shortage 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

When did they join the National League?

Knew it. National league next year and wants to try some riders out. 

Should of asked max perry or Tom spencer to rider.. 

9 minutes ago, Big Al said:

I don't agree completely with that. There is a current dearth of British riders of age approx 25-35 because of a lack of co-ordinated rider development initiatives. Reasons for that? Easier and cheaper to bring in foreign riders and the money from TV being spaffed up the wall on ridiculous money to star riders - again, mostly foreign. 

The Brexit argument you forward is only responsible for some of the shortage 

we are developing riders but they can't make the leap into Div 2 because its far too strong.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bellers101 said:

An absolute disgrace. Birmingham speedway should be sanctioned for putting that team out! 

And what good would that do exactly ?

Just now, ch958 said:

we are developing riders but they can't make the leap into Div 2 because its far too strong.

Agreed. Apart from the odd rider like Doyle all of the 1st division riders also ride 2nd division. The 2nd tier is too strong for many NDL riders to progress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Osirian08 said:

And what good would that do exactly ?

Just let them get away with it then and it will happen more often! 

• Like 1

holiday season in pirateland, hope 2,000 dont turn up for that, also it rumps the home side paying lumps on points money

And let’s not forget that mighty team that Redcar put out a few years back, 1rider, R/R & 5 guests I think it was. Someone with a better memory will correct me I’m sure

• Like 1

Maybe Mr Godfrey is eventually proved right about Friday night race tracks as well. Not enough available guests for two Wednesday night regular teams racing on a Friday. Fingers burnt unfortunately for them both, sadly. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Biffa said:

And let’s not forget that mighty team that Redcar put out a few years back, 1rider, R/R & 5 guests I think it was. Someone with a better memory will correct me I’m sure

You are spot on.

http://www.gbspeedway.com/2017/meeting.php?mc1=x&mc2=f&mc3=x&mc4=Sheffield Tigers&comp=CPb&meeting=1509

The previous attempt to stage it on 18 Sept was rained-off, for that Redcar named 6 guests and r/r

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Is the team good enough for that League ? :D

The Eastbourne team that won NDL in 2018 would have thrashed that Birmingham team, as would Mildenhall. Looks like Brummies have lost so much money this year that the owner has said enough is enough. Can’t blame him.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Best team I can construct from riders available would be:

1 Wells

2 r/r for Morris

3 Summers or Starke

4 Dan Thompson

5 Sedgmen

6 Heeps

7 Morley

Just because they are available doesn't mean they want to ride.  I'm aware of several riders who Birmingham have approached to ride at Poole, but for whatever reason they do not want to take the booking. Maybe it's money?, Maybe it's going up against Poole at their track and getting a hiding, maybe it's what is offered, maybe they have other things to do.

You can't just force riders to ride. Don't forget Birmingham will be receiving no income from this meeting with which they will be paying the riders who do take to the track. In order for people to ride it has to represent value to them and also the club. I know many people on this forum think riders should ride everywhere the fans think they should, at a rate of pay everyone that is less than many on here earn and should be grateful for the opportunity. Poole is a difficult track to get to, fuel costs are huge and clubs are paying travel rates that were agreed in January 2022, so you can imagine the costs to riders, overall it's a very disappointing line up, but I'm not exactly shocked.

3 minutes ago, wtf said:

Just because they are available doesn't mean they want to ride.  I'm aware of several riders who Birmingham have approached to ride at Poole, but for whatever reason they do not want to take the booking. Maybe it's money?, Maybe it's going up against Poole at their track and getting a hiding, maybe it's what is offered, maybe they have other things to do.

You can't just force riders to ride. Don't forget Birmingham will be receiving no income from this meeting with which they will be paying the riders who do take to the track. In order for people to ride it has to represent value to them and also the club. I know many people on this forum think riders should ride everywhere the fans think they should, at a rate of pay everyone that is less than many on here earn and should be grateful for the opportunity. Poole is a difficult track to get to, fuel costs are huge and clubs are paying travel rates that were agreed in January 2022, so you can imagine the costs to riders, overall it's a very disappointing line up, but I'm not exactly shocked.

Poole are going to have a stonking wage bill to fork out for tonight.

• Like 1