British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Birmingham v Poole and return leg. 27-29/7/22. Jubilee League

23 minutes ago, FromBendThree said:

The Eastbourne team that won NDL in 2018 would have thrashed that Birmingham team, as would Mildenhall. Looks like Brummies have lost so much money this year that the owner has said enough is enough. Can’t blame him.

Most teams in nl this year would beat tht team, I'm sure there was middle order riders available to make a match of it 

Edited by mc131

3 hours ago, Arthur54 said:

Poole v championship select then , know doubt trollprat will have something to say about the Birmingham team 

He must be banned as he would be having a field day with all this! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wtf said:

Just because they are available doesn't mean they want to ride.  I'm aware of several riders who Birmingham have approached to ride at Poole, but for whatever reason they do not want to take the booking. Maybe it's money?, Maybe it's going up against Poole at their track and getting a hiding, maybe it's what is offered, maybe they have other things to do.

You can't just force riders to ride. Don't forget Birmingham will be receiving no income from this meeting with which they will be paying the riders who do take to the track. In order for people to ride it has to represent value to them and also the club. I know many people on this forum think riders should ride everywhere the fans think they should, at a rate of pay everyone that is less than many on here earn and should be grateful for the opportunity. Poole is a difficult track to get to, fuel costs are huge and clubs are paying travel rates that were agreed in January 2022, so you can imagine the costs to riders, overall it's a very disappointing line up, but I'm not exactly shocked.

I worked out there were 16 riders available from berwick(5 not Harris or flint who,s abroad)4 from leicester(not Morris,howarth,r Worrall,)6 oxford(anybody apart from Nichols) and Ben Morley.

1 hour ago, arnieg said:

Best team I can construct from riders available would be:

1 Wells

2 r/r for Morris

3 Summers or Starke

4 Dan Thompson

5 Sedgmen

6 Heeps

7 Morley

I would do Batch instead of Wells personally if it is for Auty. 

1 hour ago, ray c said:

Not going tonite not worth spending 

£30 plus what shame don't miss many meetings 

Kinda of feel like I have to go just so the club doesn't lose too much money. As they are going to lose a lot from paying the riders as it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wtf said:

Just because they are available doesn't mean they want to ride.  I'm aware of several riders who Birmingham have approached to ride at Poole, but for whatever reason they do not want to take the booking. Maybe it's money?, Maybe it's going up against Poole at their track and getting a hiding, maybe it's what is offered, maybe they have other things to do.

You can't just force riders to ride. Don't forget Birmingham will be receiving no income from this meeting with which they will be paying the riders who do take to the track. In order for people to ride it has to represent value to them and also the club. I know many people on this forum think riders should ride everywhere the fans think they should, at a rate of pay everyone that is less than many on here earn and should be grateful for the opportunity. Poole is a difficult track to get to, fuel costs are huge and clubs are paying travel rates that were agreed in January 2022, so you can imagine the costs to riders, overall it's a very disappointing line up, but I'm not exactly shocked.

Well you would think Oxford riders would jump at the chance at a bit of practice not long before they are down. 

9 minutes ago, Tracy Bird said:

I worked out there were 16 riders available from berwick(5 not Harris or flint who,s abroad)4 from leicester(not Morris,howarth,r Worrall,)6 oxford(anybody apart from Nichols) and Ben Morley.

Although Summers would struggle to guest at Armadale and Poole in the same evening. 

25 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Kinda of feel like I have to go just so the club doesn't lose too much money. As they are going to lose a lot from paying the riders as it is.

you would think the poole   promotors would make a statement on this farce .just proves there are no riders about these days :t:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Although Summers would struggle to guest at Armadale and Poole in the same evening. 

Yes he would,and ruml might be still in Denmark,I’m saying riders who,s averages fit, batchelor might be washing his hair.Knudsen might not be in the country,there must have been better riders available.

1 hour ago, wtf said:

also you couldnt wish for a worse place to try to get too on a friday, brum have performed admirably really with all the issues , hate to say it but speedway in brum is not sustainable

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellers101 said:

Poole are going to have a stonking wage bill to fork out for tonight.

I have nothing against any of the riders for taking the booking and don't blame them but its poor from Brum. Poole will face the brunt of this due to big pay outs and likely lower attendance. If this isn't a case for fielding an under strength side then i don't know what is? It must be better to go to the BSPL and say we contacted x number of riders, they all said no so we have no team for tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I have nothing against any of the riders for taking the booking and don't blame them but its poor from Brum. Poole will face the brunt of this due to big pay outs and likely lower attendance. If this isn't a case for fielding an under strength side then i don't know what is? It must be better to go to the BSPL and say we contacted x number of riders, they all said no so we have no team for tonight. 

Yes and possibly say we've contacted worrall and howarth who will ride can we re-declare it as a challenge match? Probably get a bigger crowd that way

3 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Birmingham should have forfeited the meeting to save what is going to be extremely expensive night for Poole through no fault of theirs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

But they haven't all said no, that’s how they have come up with this team. Poole only have so many dates for home matches available and so would be keen to get the fixture completed. You will have noticed Redcar couldn’t come with a guest for their fixture at Scunthorpe ? Because those that may have been available are already booked to guest elsewhere? but with the over complicated, but bendy, rulebook that exists it’s neigh on impossible to give this sport any credibility.

• Like 1

British Speedway hits a new low :shock:

No wonder they aren't allowing replies to the team sheet tweet they've put out

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1