British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sidney the robin

Poole 1983.

29 minutes ago, chunky said:

It happens! In 1980, Roger Johns scored 16+1 at Hyde Rd in the KOC, and beat PC three times. He rode there in the BL a few weeks later, and scored 3...

That was/is the beauty of the sport that someone can raise their game for whatever reason and put in a stonking performance out of the blue before the status quo is re-established!

Neil Evitts won a British Semi-Final at Cowley and returned a week (?) later as a guest and failed  miserably although the Oxford faithfull had suspicions as rumours abounded?

Edited by steve roberts

20 minutes ago, chunky said:

It is also undoubtedly the reason he struggled for so long to make an impression in a World Final, when he had been one of the favourites.

The 1983 World Final was the eventual turning point for Hans when he admits himself he had got his self belief in check and could have made the rostrum after leading eventual champion Egon Muller before loosing his chain. He felt that riding a small track held him back but the move to Cowley (Swindon was a track he would have considered apparently) moved him up a significant notch and as they say the rest is history.

Edited by steve roberts

13 hours ago, steve roberts said:

The 1983 World Final was the eventual turning point for Hans when he admits himself he had got his self belief in check and could have made the rostrum after leading eventual champion Egon Muller before loosing his chain. He felt that riding a small track held him back but the move to Cowley (Swindon was a track he would have considered apparently) moved him up a significant notch and as they say the rest is history.

Winner four times  six times runner up and two third places from 1980/1999. That  record is insane Steve he also won in both disciplines of the world championship a record to be proud of.

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Winner four times  six times runner up and two third places from 1980/1999. That  record is insane Steve he also won in both disciplines of the world championship a record to be proud of.

Absolutely Sid...a record that any rider would be proud of. I'm convinced if the GP's had been around during the eighties he would have added to that total of wins no question.

17 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Absolutely Sid...a record that any rider would be proud of. I'm convinced if the GP's had been around during the eighties he would have added to that total of wins no question.

I first see Hans ride in 1977 and he  looked very talented but my first memory of him being able to compete regularly on the world stage was in the 1978 World team cup final   Landshut he scored 11 points he was superb.

Edited by Sidney the robin

11 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

I first see Hans ride in 1977 and he  looked very talented but my first memory of him being able to compete regularly on the world stage was in the 1978 World team cup final   Landshut he scored 11 points he was superb.

I first saw Hans at White City in 1977 and one could see then that he was more that your average "unknown" foreigner.