British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

3 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

Another promoter not interested in listening to the concerns of the sports customers. 

Not to mention paying train fares :D

Edited by uk_martin

I find it laughable the way they tart up the British gp anybody who didn’t follow British speedway would think all was Fine but to be honest British speedway is dead 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topsoil said:

Quote from Alex Harkess, the Edinburgh director in the Speedway Star two weeks ago. "If you ever read the Speedway Forum, you would easily start to get depressed. Fortunately the reality of speedway is nothing like that".

Well it is a bit like that... i was just questioning whether we needed another thread when there's already several already discussing the same topic

6 hours ago, enotian said:

Which is probably why it's in the state it is in. Lack of awareness or denial.  This is a senior experienced official denying that the reality of British speedway isn't *depressing, despite (seemingly) falling attendances and as a result fewer tracks.

I worked a bit with promoters of music event's, club night's and the like. They can never comprehend why their ticket sales for the next event were poor when they had such a great time putting the last event on.  It was a brilliant night they'd say.  Maybe it was for them as there's a lot going on when you're organising an event but did the paying guests enjoy it as much?  They didn't get to hang out with the superstar DJ or didn't have to queue for the bar etc etc.

You have to remember that the vast majority of customers don't have access to the pits/backstage or superstar performers/riders. Any lulls in the entertainment aren't filled by dealing with running the event or catching up with old friends.  And the backstage facilities aren't always the same as those the paying public have to endure.

It is hard for promoters to distance themselves from the experience of the event being at the epicentre of it to what the experience is like for the paying public. Sometimes they're vastly different.  You see it with TV series like Question of Sport or Celebrity Juice. Those involved in making the shows must be having a great time doing so but they're basically unwatchable.

Therein lies the problem. If you don't even think there's anything wrong with the product why would you try to fix it?

* I wouldn't have used that word. The declining state of speedway wouldn't depress me, there's a million and one other things to do. It's just a shame that such a potentially exhilarating sport is producing such a weak product.

Nail hit absolutely on the head for me. Although Speedway has been on the decline for years, imo it took a major down turn during the Harkess years, squandering all that great TV coverage we had and failing to invest in the future. 

31 minutes ago, iainb said:

Nail hit absolutely on the head for me. Although Speedway has been on the decline for years, imo it took a major down turn during the Harkess years, squandering all that great TV coverage we had and failing to invest in the future. 

...which also didn't attract any major sponsorship which I have questioned many times over the years?

• Like 1

Finished for me ,I live in Dorset we lost Weymouth again 11 years ago .I have no interest in Poole so stopped going.The lay down engine started the decline along with the GP’s taking weekend’s away.I keep an eye on speedway here.I was once a supporter who did 5-6 meetings a week. Can see no point that I will return soon !

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Wessexbobcat said:

Finished for me ,I live in Dorset we lost Weymouth again 11 years ago .I have no interest in Poole so stopped going.The lay down engine started the decline along with the GP’s taking weekend’s away.I keep an eye on speedway here.I was once a supporter who did 5-6 meetings a week. Can see no point that I will return soon !

Agree!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wessexbobcat said:

In your circumstances the only offering that may be worth a look at is the IOW. Apart from this I agree with your sentiments but alas those in charge do not give a fig about the true speedway supporter as opposed to a club follower. Many like to watch the racing and if it is close and competitive most are happy. Teams are a joke with riders competing in all three leagues. It might be better if meetings were individual events made up of riders assigned to club names and at the end of September the riders with the most points were drawn to represent four clubs in a play off. Those clubs could be drawn out of a hat. Ridiculous it may seem but no more than what we have now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wessexbobcat said:

Diamonds vs Weymouth was the first match I went to. Late 70's.  Don't really recall it at all but I think I still have the programme in the loft.  Owen vs Yeates was the big deal.  From memory of the programme I think Simon Wigg and/or Cross were in the Weymouth team. Future stars.

Serious question though, have you not been tempted to subscribe to the BSN streaming service? I think they stated it was aimed at attracting lapsed supporters without a team to follow locally, like yourself. Interesting to know if that appeals to you or if not why?

Whilst I'm on 'interesting' chat by the Sky commentary team about the state of World cricket during the rain delays at today's ODI.  Expressing concern of the monopoly of the top three nations and the negative impact that has on the other nations. Interesting discussion, acknowledging that you need a range of competitive nations for the sport to grow and you can't base the product around a 'local derby' (the ashes). So not just Speedway having problems.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enotian said:

Diamonds vs Weymouth was the first match I went to. Late 70's.  Don't really recall it at all but I think I still have the programme in the loft.  Owen vs Yeates was the big deal.  From memory of the programme I think Simon Wigg and/or Cross were in the Weymouth team. Future stars.

Serious question though, have you not been tempted to subscribe to the BSN streaming service? I think they stated it was aimed at attracting lapsed supporters without a team to follow locally, like yourself. Interesting to know if that appeals to you or if not why?

Whilst I'm on 'interesting' chat by the Sky commentary team about the state of World cricket during the rain delays at today's ODI.  Expressing concern of the monopoly of the top three nations and the negative impact that has on the other nations. Interesting discussion, acknowledging that you need a range of competitive nations for the sport to grow and you can't base the product around a 'local derby' (the ashes). So not just Speedway having problems.

Not interested without a club to follow.I don’t think the cost justifies what you get either.15 races of follow your leader, same riders double up down guest amateur at best .I probably won’t  bother online with speedway soon.Will always remember the 70’s and 80’s National League great racing no guests , or playoffs and proper tac sub rule.They call it progress maybe?(self distract I think)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dnorthstar1970 said:

I find it laughable the way they tart up the British gp anybody who didn’t follow British speedway would think all was Fine but to be honest British speedway is dead 

Tell me about it. What are they thinking by doing all that promotion. You would think they were trying to sell tickets or something. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wessexbobcat said:

Not interested without a club to follow.I don’t think the cost justifies what you get either.15 races of follow your leader, same riders double up down guest amateur at best .I probably won’t  bother online with speedway soon.Will always remember the 70’s and 80’s National League great racing no guests , or playoffs and proper tac sub rule.They call it progress maybe?(self distract I think)

Your name is not Stewkesbury or Hodder is it?:t:

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Your name is not Stewkesbury or Hodder is it?:t:

Stewkesbury was certainly one of our best promoters at Weymouth. Hodder good on the Mike too .Me just a Weymouth supporter.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wessexbobcat said:

Totally agree Speedway in the UK is a joke and has been for a while, I still follow the GP's and some Polish matches but UK nothing!

20 hours ago, Dnorthstar1970 said:

yeah it's very embarrassing.

• Haha 1