British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

4 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Not sure if its already been added?

But surely the demise of speedway in this country will have something to do with it being so popular and far better run, in other countries ?

The best of the best don't ride here....?

We used to have all the best riders riding in England and that's what 'partly' drew the fans in....(just my opinion).

I agree that it’s far better run in Poland but think every other European nation plus Australia, New Zealand and the USA are struggling just as much, or more than UK

9 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Different when at a match live as I had my mates to talk to in between races enjoying some banter but difficult to replicate that at home sat by yourself!

What's wrong wi' inviting your mates over?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Good point about market research. But that's asking the 40,000 who will attend and who think not much is wrong with the sport. What about those who don't? They have just been allowed to drift away. Many probably still come on internet forums and the like, even still buy the weekly Speedway Star. Where's the market research on the missing fans? They haven't completely dumped the sport. Many probably just suffered one rain-off too many, a silly rule introduction that was kicked out the following year, or, like me, don't see it as a serious sport. 

But of the 40,000 who attend I would suggest the vast majority think there is plenty wrong with the sport in the UK, hence most wont attend each week...

(Because if they did the sport would have circa 40,000 a week going to it, and it clearly doesnt)..

Indeed, if they could get 40,000 a week, it would be classed as "incredibly successful"...

I will be there with people who also dontt attend UK Speedway regularly but will happily spend plenty watching it abroad at FIM events, and in Poland..

Exactly the perfect people to seek some feedback from as to why that is..

Each track should be represented under a collective BSP banner, and questionnaires filled in..

Eg (Very, Very Basic)..

Name/Adresss/Email/Mobile..

How often do you attend? Every Meeting. Often. Now and Again. Rarely..

Write down five things that would make domesttic British Speedway more successful in your opinion, and have you attending more (if you dont attend every meeting)...

Then giveaway a club pen or a car sticker for someone taking the trouble.. 

Even 5,000 responses would give a clear indication of the opportunity that exists if they listen to their potential fanbase..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chunky said:

Too many for my then pokey room! Nothing quite beat standing on the terrace at one's favourite spot with all the familiar faces exchanging witticisms and enjoying the overal atmosphere and occasional despair! Some great memories!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chunky said:

52 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Too many for my then pokey room! Nothing quite beat standing on the terrace at one's favourite spot with all the familiar faces exchanging witticisms and enjoying the overal atmosphere and occasional despair! Some great memories!

Need to build a man cave B)

Big screen , pool table , dart board. Add some food and drink , split the subscriptions and its a great night at a fraction of the cost

Cheers Mr Beerhut :cheers:

Just now, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Need to build a man cave B)

Big screen , pool table , dart board. Add some food and drink , split the subscriptions and its a great night at a fraction of the cost

Cheers Mr Beerhut :cheers:

...plus a Model Railway!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 11:17 AM, Wessexbobcat said:

Not interested without a club to follow.I don’t think the cost justifies what you get either.15 races of follow your leader, same riders double up down guest amateur at best .I probably won’t  bother online with speedway soon.Will always remember the 70’s and 80’s National League great racing no guests , or playoffs and proper tac sub rule.They call it progress maybe?(self distract I think)

If there was a streamed competition which featured a Weymouth team, even though they have no home fixtures, would you be inclined to subscribe then? For example a pairs event in which the same two riders (injury permitting) exclusively represented Weymouth at each round.  They'd be exclusively Weymouth riders in that competition. Although they'd more than likely ride for other teams in other competitions. Is that something that would interest you?

It doesn't sound particularly authentic but you imagine the way to maximise streaming is to appeal to a wider range of supporters i.e. not just two teams.

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

...plus a Model Railway!

Do I get an invitation??? :D

9 hours ago, moxey63 said:

Most people attending Cardiff are possibly making their first speedway visit this year, possibly many because they're disillusioned at the state of club speedway, and because it's a one-off occasion.

If club racing served the sport as it once did, and teams contained riders that fans felt were part of them, I believe Cardiff wouldn't be half full.  

Or not bothering with going to Cardiff at all ......

8 hours ago, moxey63 said:

If there is 40,000 at Cardiff...

If there are 40,000 at Cardiff, at least 10,000 - 20,000 will be Poles, Swedes, Germans, Danes etc "on tour". The British contingent at Cardiff is a lot lower than you may think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chunky said:

Do I get an invitation??? :D

You'd be first in the queue dear boy!

8 hours ago, uk_martin said:

If there are 40,000 at Cardiff, at least 10,000 - 20,000 will be Poles, Swedes, Germans, Danes etc "on tour". The British contingent at Cardiff is a lot lower than you may think.

Disagree , probably 5000 max.

16 hours ago, enotian said:

If there was a streamed competition which featured a Weymouth team, even though they have no home fixtures, would you be inclined to subscribe then? For example a pairs event in which the same two riders (injury permitting) exclusively represented Weymouth at each round.  They'd be exclusively Weymouth riders in that competition. Although they'd more than likely ride for other teams in other competitions. Is that something that would interest you?

It doesn't sound particularly authentic but you imagine the way to maximise streaming is to appeal to a wider range of supporters i.e. not just two teams.

Probably not,the fact that riders ride for more than one team puts  me off already.When we last ran at Weymouth some riders did double up but were  trying to break into the second not ride in all three divisions.If someone set up a team with the intention of returning Weymouth  as a stand alone club I probably would watch .

• Like 1

need to go to 5 man teams until something changes, need a surplus of riders not a shortage. I wouldn't want it but I can't see another solution. It works elsewhere