British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

3 hours ago, ch958 said:

need to go to 5 man teams until something changes, need a surplus of riders not a shortage. I wouldn't want it but I can't see another solution. It works elsewhere

It seems the obvious solution but far from ideal

If you watch any of the Danish league that uses 5 man teams you will recognise the problem

Get to heat 5 and sometimes you've seen 2 opposing riders up against each 3 times already......

49 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

It seems the obvious solution but far from ideal

If you watch any of the Danish league that uses 5 man teams you will recognise the problem

Get to heat 5 and sometimes you've seen 2 opposing riders up against each 3 times already......

I know but do they at least 'belong' to the teams

• Like 2

Just read that Newcastle Diamonds have closed down, now official.

Edited by TINYS

5 hours ago, ch958 said:

need to go to 5 man teams until something changes, need a surplus of riders not a shortage. I wouldn't want it but I can't see another solution. It works elsewhere

Denmark use 5 man teams doesn’t seem to work well ? Poor crowds same riders to often .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

I understand the drawbacks, just don't know what else to do

The sport is ran by the promoters for the promoters and riders...

Getting a credible operating model won't be for one minute discussed at any meeting...

Rinse and Repeat...

Guestfest after Guestfest...

As long as 'any kind of speedway' is put out then it is mission accomplished...

An expensive hobby for those who can afford expensive hobbies...

And a channel for lads to earn as much as they can in six months worth of work...

That is all it is over here, and all it ever will be I would think, given the promoters all seem quite reluctant to even consider that what they offer detrimentally impacts their own businesses and the wider sport in general..

Obviously you cannot take it seriously, but you can still have a great night out at the speedway, especially at those tracks that can deliver great racing...

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, mikebv said:

The sport is ran by the promoters for the promoters and riders...

Getting a credible operating model won't be for one minute discussed at any meeting...

Rinse and Repeat...

Guestfest after Guestfest...

As long as 'any kind of speedway' is put out then it is mission accomplished...

An expensive hobby for those who can afford expensive hobbies...

And a channel for lads to earn as much as they can in six months worth of work...

That is all it is over here, and all it ever will be I would think, given the promoters all seem quite reluctant to even consider that what they offer detrimentally impacts their own businesses and the wider sport in general..

Obviously you cannot take it seriously, but you can still have a great night out at the speedway, especially at those tracks that can deliver great racing...

Good Summery of the Sport in GB,+ if you can get the supporters to gift you a little extra it helps.I agree good night out at the right tracks.Get jealous when I see the atmosphere at the big Matches in Poland.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Good Summery of the Sport in GB,+ if you can get the supporters to gift you a little extra it helps.I agree good night out at the right tracks.Get jealous when I see the atmosphere at the big Matches in Poland.

And that's part of the problem. You can't really serve scrag end when all your customers can see the butcher over the road selling fillet steak.  Especially if you're charging fillet steak prices.

1 hour ago, enotian said:

And that's part of the problem. You can't really serve scrag end

But we've been serving scrag end for years, and it's working well! Why should we change?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, chunky said:

But we've been serving scrag end for years, and it's working well! Why should we change?

Sometimes it's seems now like even the scrag is missing and your left just getting a whiff of the juices on the paper it was wrapped in.....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Sometimes it's seems now like even the scrag is missing and your left just getting a whiff of the juices on the paper it was wrapped in.....

It's a vegan scrag end...:D

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2022 at 3:13 PM, moxey63 said:

Good point about market research. But that's asking the 40,000 who will attend and who think not much is wrong with the sport. What about those who don't? They have just been allowed to drift away. Many probably still come on internet forums and the like, even still buy the weekly Speedway Star. Where's the market research on the missing fans? They haven't completely dumped the sport. Many probably just suffered one rain-off too many, a silly rule introduction that was kicked out the following year, or, like me, don't see it as a serious sport. 

Sadly the attitude some of the promoters have towards fans who stop going is "it's your loss".  I guess they obviously feel enough people are packing their terraces out that they need not bother with those who've had enough of it

• Like 4

With proper management, a proper plan for the future & a product that is decent enough to be sold to those outside of speedway maybe the sport could have a future maybe even a bright one.

Shouldn't make an comparison's to any other sport but all you need to do is look at the ladies euros to see what can happen with some vision.

10 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

With proper management, a proper plan for the future & a product that is decent enough to be sold to those outside of speedway maybe the sport could have a future maybe even a bright one.

Shouldn't make an comparison's to any other sport but all you need to do is look at the ladies euros to see what can happen with some vision.

Similar success with team GB speedway team though, it’s the grass roots and leagues like the women’s game that needs constant improvement 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MattB said:

Sadly the attitude some of the promoters have towards fans who stop going is "it's your loss".  I guess they obviously feel enough people are packing their terraces out that they need not bother with those who've had enough of it

That has been the attitude from various promoters for many years "If you don't like it don't come". The issue now is that large numbers of fans have taken their advice .

• Like 4