British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
old bob at herne bay

UK speedway slowly dying

10 minutes ago, chunky said:

Aye... Give 'em a bike rack, some black leathers, a pair of cricket gloves, football shirt and socks, and a neckerchief, and they're good to go...

And a boiler suit for when it rains...:D

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

And a boiler suit for when it rains...:D

:t: 

32 minutes ago, chunky said:

Aye... Give 'em a bike rack, some black leathers, a pair of cricket gloves, football shirt and socks, and a neckerchief, and they're good to go...

Them were the days!

When I gave speedway a go at King's Lynn we were shown a box and told to muck thru' and find the appropriate clothing...think I found matching boots?

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Them were the days!

When I gave speedway a go at King's Lynn we were shown a box and told to muck thru' and find the appropriate clothing...think I found matching boots?

Sounds about right!

Did you also cut a piece of tyre for a knee pad?

59 minutes ago, chunky said:

Sounds about right!

Did you also cut a piece of tyre for a knee pad?

I did. Fell off many times! I've now got nostalgia and neuralgia, but I've kept my leathers and boots. They are black of course!!! 

• Like 1

I think this is the current 5 year plan, and for once it seems to be going well :blink:

William Shatner quote: You might as well aim high. Why shoot yourself in...

• Haha 3

Was at the Isle of Wight last night, went a long way to put my faith back in speedway, Barry and martin understand the importance of the fans, great slick show geared towards the fans, meeting was marred by a horrific crash involving Chris mackett and Tim Curnock which resulted in a meeting being abandoned and the air ambulance being called , hope the guys are ok but that aside it is a fantastic slick show and very good value for money 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

Was at the Isle of Wight last night, went a long way to put my faith back in speedway, Barry and martin understand the importance of the fans, great slick show geared towards the fans, meeting was marred by a horrific crash involving Chris mackett and Tim Curnock which resulted in a meeting being abandoned and the air ambulance being called , hope the guys are ok but that aside it is a fantastic slick show and very good value for money 

Blimey is that the same Tim Curnock who used to ride for the "Cheetahs" junior team back in the early eighties together with a certain "Buster Chapman" ? I know that he was still riding on the grass up until recently.

Yes steve roberts it's the same Tim Curnock. He races sometimes at Lydd speedway track in Kent and goes very. One of the the very good veterans that get to ride down there.

Photo of Tim leading Gary Ohare

Tim Curnock Gary Ohare.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see “proper” speedway bikes in action. Sorry to hear someone injured, hope they have speedy recovery.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This Chris Mackett, I assume?

https://wwosbackup.proboards.com/thread/1813/chris-mackett

9 minutes ago, frigbo said:

I think so, I see him at various meetings but not sure of his speedway background but the age fits and he is from that neck of the woods 

I believe Chris has broken vertebrae, sternum and ribs , Tim has just a few cuts and bruises, hopefully both back on track soon 

Watching the GP from Cardiff tonight. Shame about the track the most positive thing I took from the meeting on TV was Scott's interview with top gears Chris Harris. He seemed genuinely impressed & the comment perfect blue print for a evening of motor sport at least shows there is something positive.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Watching the GP from Cardiff tonight. Shame about the track the most positive thing I took from the meeting on TV was Scott's interview with top gears Chris Harris. He seemed genuinely impressed & the comment perfect blue print for a evening of motor sport at least shows there is something positive.

perversely, and this is my interpretation of what he said and I don't know who he is, but what he seemed to like was exactly what was wrong with the track. Riders struggling to hang on to beasts of machines was his comment I think. When for me speedway at its best is like ballet not a bucking bronco.

but yes I understand Top Gear is a popular show so he is probably influential.