British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Oxford Vs Poole Jubilee Cup &Return 2nd-3rd August

3 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Because you would rather see your first team possibly!

Don't really seem them as first and second teams.  One's called the Cheetahs and one the Chargers - but both are equally representing Oxford Speedway. If Cheetahs were at home and Chargers were away, again I'd pick the home meeting. 

• Like 1

Batch has really gone downhill. Could be because he has a kiddie now, playing it safer. He rode for Poole before Swindon, and in the Robins double-winning last season in 2019 was top of averages with Doyley. Be lucky if he's in top 20 in either league now. Ex GP rider.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:40 AM, mikebv said:

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do Oxford fans earn less than Poole supporters, as there were easily a couple of hundred Pirates fans at Cowley on Tuesday.

Some of us are on a pension and with the rising cost of fuel, food heating etc can't afford to travel to away meetings like we used to.  At one time I wouldn't have missed a meeting, home or away, but now have to think  about what meetings I go to.  It doesn't make me any less of a supporter though.  Think yourself lucky that  you can afford it and make the most of it while you stIll can.

Edited by Christine Hawes
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, sommelier1 said:

Really inconsistent this year, not a kid now & needs to start propelling forward

However he is still a kid. I mean he is still a teenager!

5 hours ago, HGould said:

I've stopped going to Poole.

Full of the Speedway eqivalent of Sun + Mail Readers who think they know everything, cheers when opposition riders fall and cheer when there riders knock them off and altogether an uncomfortabe atmosphere if you sit in that Stand in away team colours. Bigots probably best sums the worst of them up.

Thankfully most Speedway supporters are mild mannered enough to cope with it but I voted with my feet some years ago. I've done Brummies at Cradley / Wolves / Coventry , Black Country derbies in the past but never met a more blinkered set as at Poole

As for when they visit your own Track, you'll wonder if the clown Prince and his merry band have actually been watching a match in a parallel universe so utterly biased are they in all they see, say and report.

Sooner they go back to the Premier the better.

What an absolute load of rubbish! I've been going to Poole meetings home and away since I was 11 and 90% of this post is untrue! 

• Like 4

Never seen any trouble at league speedway since the infamous brawl between Oxford and Swindon fans in the early 80s. That was caused by Ox football fans from the nearby estate. Wolves fans got a bit rowdy at Swindon once but stewards sorted it. Good to see quite a few Swindon, and Reading and Cov fans at Ox this year, and sell-out crowds. The Premier league would be so much better with Poole, Ox and Swindon. The crowds are a joke compared to 40/50 years ago, 17000 for one match at The Abbey and hundreds locked out.

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

Never seen any trouble at league speedway since the infamous brawl between Oxford and Swindon fans in the early 80s. That was caused by Ox football fans from the nearby estate. Wolves fans got a bit rowdy at Swindon once but stewards sorted it. Good to see quite a few Swindon, and Reading and Cov fans at Ox this year, and sell-out crowds. The Premier league would be so much better with Poole, Ox and Swindon. The crowds are a joke compared to 40/50 years ago, 17000 for one match at The Abbey and hundreds locked out.

Poole, Oxford and Swindon definitely need to be in the same league, I agree with that!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lewy said:

What an absolutely pathetic post,"Has anyone asked Eddie if he's fit to ride ". :blink:

Why pathetic? As a former Pirate Eddie was probably on Middlo's list of potential riders for his testimonial, so perfectly reasonable to ring him up to ask the question.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I've heard Eddie is too busy with his job of drilling holes into things, I can't for the life of me tho recall wot he drills holes into! 

All I know is he's too exhausted to ride speedway afterwards!

:rofl:

Edited by Turnip
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

What an absolute load of rubbish! I've been going to Poole meetings home and away since I was 11 and 90% of this post is untrue! 

I was going to respond but it’s so inaccurate it wasn’t worth replying to.

Away fans often sit in the grandstand and if they are intimidated it might be because of the noise the fans generate. Away teams are always greeted with clapping and respect (unless you are a baddy like C Cook) and there’s never any trouble. 

• Like 2

I saw a cross dresser on the second bend at WINborne Road last night.

Wearing a Pirate shirt & holding a Cheetahs jacket u'd think he should've realized before the meeting started that it was No Jacket Required!

:rofl:

Edited by Turnip
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do Oxford fans earn less than Poole supporters, as there were easily a couple of hundred Pirates fans at Cowley on Tuesday.

...as mentioned in an earlier post the fact that a meeting taking place at Cowley may well have made folk think twice about travelling? Anyway was a head count taken of Oxford fans present at Poole (or indeed Poole fans at Cowley the previous night) or are you just surmising?

Edited by steve roberts

4 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Poole, Oxford and Swindon definitely need to be in the same league, I agree with that!

...or better still a resurrected Reading!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Absolutely spot on Lisa, a more jealous ridiculously inaccurate post you couldn't imagine, personally had many nice chats with fans of other teams. We can't help wanting to win!

• Like 2