British Speedway Forum
speed29

Do You Think Speedway might do in London in Future??.

There's no Speedway Teams in London and its very sad, Hackney Hawks, London Lions, Wimbledon Dons and West Ham Hammers.

1 hour ago, speed29 said:

There's no Speedway Teams in London and its very sad, Hackney Hawks, London Lions, Wimbledon Dons and West Ham Hammers.

Plus, of course, White City "Rebels", New Cross, Wembley and Harringay...speedway most nights of the week during its height?

Only if someone dug up the football pitches on Hackney Marsh  and laid a track. That’s assuming they’re still there of course. Not been to Hackney in decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Only if someone dug up the football pitches on Hackney Marsh  and laid a track. That’s assuming they’re still there of course. Not been to Hackney in decades.

If you had a huge Worldwide company who splashed a few dollars to buy the rights to the FIM Speedway Individual, team and pairs championships. Maybe they could hire the Olympic stadium at Stratford

Plenty of room in there for a pretty big track and lots of spectators

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

If you had a huge Worldwide company who splashed a few dollars to buy the rights to the FIM Speedway Individual, team and pairs championships. Maybe they could hire the Olympic stadium at Stratford

Plenty of room in there for a pretty big track and lots of spectators

With a roof would be an improvement over Cardiff.

29 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Sadly not a prayer which for those of us who live here is a disappointment 

If You are as old as me you will have plenty of memories.

3 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

If You are as old as me you will have plenty of memories.

Lots visiting Hackney and Wimbledon with Wolves and White City and Wembley for the big nights

I was a regular at Hackney and Wimbledon when I moved down here for work in 1985 and then was a regular at Arena Essex with the occasional visit to Rye when we moved to Hertfordshire 

My "local" tracks are now Peterborough and Ippo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, noaksey said:

Lots visiting Hackney and Wimbledon with Wolves and White City and Wembley for the big nights

I was a regular at Hackney and Wimbledon when I moved down here for work in 1985 and then was a regular at Arena Essex with the occasional visit to Rye when we moved to Hertfordshire 

My "local" tracks are now Peterborough and Ippo

Sadly you missed the greatest London venue of them all.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Crayford??? :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, customhouseregular said:

Before my time. Wolves 75 was my first season 

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Crayford??? :rolleyes:

Went once. Somewhat underwhelmed.

• Like 2

I can't see Speedway ever returning anywhere within the M25. The councils are doing their best to make it a pedestrian area with all the extra costs for congestion & now emissions.

Back when Speedway was great in London with racing from Romford to Stamford Bridge Congestion & Emissions were free & stadiums were full!!!

Is there a football ground within the Greater London boundary, with no residential properties within earshot that could house a track with minimal upheaval, and at a realistic cost?.

In an word No... London may as well be a different country to the rest of us who don't live there, it's a completely different demographic to the rest of the country

• Like 2