British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

9 hours ago, chunky said:

I'm confused...

For many years, Britain struggled to provide genuine world-class riders - at any level.

Currently, we have three SGP riders in the World's Top 11 - Woffinden, Lambert, and Bewley. We have one of the World's leading under-21 riders - Brennan.

Woffinden, Lambert, Bewley, and Brennan were SoN Champs in 2021, and Lambert was top scorer on Day Two.

Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley were second in the SoN in 2022. Woffinden was second highest scorer in the semi-final, and Lambert was fourth highest scorer in the final.

Brennan led us to second in the SoN2 in 2022, and was the third highest individual scorer.

Sounds good, eh? Until you read the BSF...

Woffinden is an Australian has-been with a massive ego and no dedication to Team GB, and was putting on his "injury" that caused him to miss the final.

Lambert doesn't even deserve to be riding in the SGP's, as he's not good enough.

Bewley just gives up when he misses the start. Unacceptable, so I'm told.

Brennan just "isn't on the pace".

Team GB now stands for "GRUMPY BSF", and some people need to just shut the hell up, and go and watch another sport...

If only we still had Nicholls and Harris instead!! 

• Haha 2

We probably could not hold our own in a full strength test match, but by recent standards we are in a good place. British league speedway is poor by historic standards but our rider strength is improving encouragingly.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chunky said:

I'm confused...

For many years, Britain struggled to provide genuine world-class riders - at any level.

Currently, we have three SGP riders in the World's Top 11 - Woffinden, Lambert, and Bewley. We have one of the World's leading under-21 riders - Brennan.

Woffinden, Lambert, Bewley, and Brennan were SoN Champs in 2021, and Lambert was top scorer on Day Two.

Woffinden, Lambert and Bewley were second in the SoN in 2022. Woffinden was second highest scorer in the semi-final, and Lambert was fourth highest scorer in the final.

Brennan led us to second in the SoN2 in 2022, and was the third highest individual scorer.

Woffinden is an Australian has-been with a massive ego and no dedication to Team GB, and was putting on his "injury" that caused him to miss the final.

Lambert doesn't even deserve to be riding in the SGP's, as he's not good enough.

Team GB now stands for "GRUMPY BSF", and some people need to just shut the hell up, and go and watch another sport...

It must be all down to pure luck....:D

Think what we could do if we had ' three ' team managers? :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, chunky said:

I'm confused...

It's not only speedway fans that do it, randomly seems a british thing take f1 Hamilton, tennis Murray/radacanu England football and boxing fury/aj if they win they are amazing anything else they are ripped apart it's ridiculous 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mc131 said:

It's not only speedway fans that do it, randomly seems a british thing take f1 Hamilton, tennis Murray/radacanu England football and boxing fury/aj if they win they are amazing anything else they are ripped apart it's ridiculous 

A common denominator with all of those you mention is Heritage/Ethnicity... I don't think it's any coincidence that Tai gets the same

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Some people are only happy when they are moaning.

Look we got to Final after topping scorings to qualify for the run off without our number 1 rider.

I could understand it if we were The Mighty Poland who we are all suppose to aspire to, who lets face it got nowhere near Final and only beat the Finns in the meeting. 

• Like 2

GB Speedway Team just got a silver medal in the SoN, Poland were 6th out of 7, GB U21's got a bronze medal in SoN2, when Sweden having finished last won't even be in next years event even with the talent they have.

i think GB have done themselves proud

• Like 7

On 8/1/2022 at 9:31 PM, Bavarian said:

and now I'd like to see a GREAT BRITAIN vs AUSTRALIA Test match !

Wouldn't that be great!

On 8/30/2022 at 6:59 PM, Trees said:

Wouldn't that be great!

A 3 match Test Series would be even better...

The Speedway Ashes....

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 9:14 AM, phillipsr said:

If only we still had Nicholls and Harris instead!! 

World class riders back in the day but probably never really considered the worlds top ten on a consistent basis

Go back to the early 80's.....Jessup, Simmons, Lee, Carter, Morton, Peter Collins...all world class riders who by 1984/85 were either past their best or lost to the sport

The 1986 British Final top 3 was Evitts, Phil Collins, Doncaster,........good top level riders but none of them (apart from Doncaster) went on to do much more on the world stage....1986 was for me a changing of the guard

From 1987 - 1990 you then had genuine World Class performers breaking through.......Tatum, Wigg Cross, Doncaster, Smith, Thorp....winning the World Team Cup although obviously in tragic circumstances

1991-2001 - a decade where another new wave of English talent come through...arguably better then the 87-90 guys........Havelock, Louis, Loram, Screen, Dugard

I would then say from 2001 until 2013 we havent had what i would class as riders capable of making the step up to World Champion

Any rider that can be in the world top 16 for a number of years is World Class to me....Nicholls and Harris were ....but i could never see them as making the next step up to a world title contender or even a regular rostrum contender.....Lee Richardson was to me a level below Harris and Nicholls at their best.

From 2001-2013 we had riders like Robson, Howe, Kennett, Barker and Stead being on rostrums in British Finals and as good as these riders were and great servants to our sport none of those could be considered world class or likley to have made a break through at international level

We were lucky with Tai and now we have 3 riders in the top 8 in the world we should embrace it...enjoy it and back these boys........whats important is the progression of the next level of riders and to what level we can get those guys to

Will Brennan and Flint be the next Nicholls or Harris or will they make the step up to be the next Havelock , Loram or Woffinden

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gavan said:

World class riders back in the day but probably never really considered the worlds top ten on a consistent basis

Go back to the early 80's.....Jessup, Simmons, Lee, Carter, Morton, Peter Collins...all world class riders who by 1984/85 were either past their best or lost to the sport

The 1986 British Final top 3 was Evitts, Phil Collins, Doncaster,........good top level riders but none of them (apart from Doncaster) went on to do much more on the world stage....1986 was for me a changing of the guard

From 1987 - 1990 you then had genuine World Class performers breaking through.......Tatum, Wigg Cross, Doncaster, Smith, Thorp....winning the World Team Cup although obviously in tragic circumstances

1991-2001 - a decade where another new wave of English talent come through...arguably better then the 87-90 guys........Havelock, Louis, Loram, Screen, Dugard

I would then say from 2001 until 2013 we havent had what i would class as riders capable of making the step up to World Champion

Any rider that can be in the world top 16 for a number of years is World Class to me....Nicholls and Harris were ....but i could never see them as making the next step up to a world title contender or even a regular rostrum contender.....Lee Richardson was to me a level below Harris and Nicholls at their best.

From 2001-2013 we had riders like Robson, Howe, Kennett, Barker and Stead being on rostrums in British Finals and as good as these riders were and great servants to our sport none of those could be considered world class or likley to have made a break through at international level

We were lucky with Tai and now we have 3 riders in the top 8 in the world we should embrace it...enjoy it and back these boys........whats important is the progression of the next level of riders and to what level we can get those guys to

Will Brennan and Flint be the next Nicholls or Harris or will they make the step up to be the next Havelock , Loram or Woffinden

Couldn't have said it better myself...

• Like 1