British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Sheffield -V- Wolves Thursday 4th aug OFF

Due to the greyhound relaying there track and damaging fence parts the meeting as been postponed. 

one debacle after another at Sheffield at the moment. 

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, PhilTheAce said:

Due to the greyhound relaying there track and damaging fence parts the meeting as been postponed. 

Stadium isn't for racing at this level. One shambles after another.

• Like 1

Is an FIM delayed decision required?  ;)

• Haha 1

Maybe they not fixed the tapes. Maybe that’s the real reason. 

maybe riders are missing. 

there are no dogs today so got all day today to sort the problem 

but I am a cynic 

Edited by PhilTheAce
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TTT said:

Sorry I don't understand that comment because whatever level they raced at in this country the problems they have had lately would have an effect on whatever league they raced in. Safe secure safety fence posts are a main requirement in any speedway meeting.

• Like 1

The way I understand this is that the work on the greyhound track finished last night and the speedway had access from today and they found several safety fence posts damaged and needing work / replacing. This gives them less than 48 hours before tomorrows match to find a contractor to possibly break out the posts, concrete in new ones, allow the concrete to cure / harden and then re-hang the safety fence and possible have to have a track inspection of the works carried out before they can race.

I am no track expert but I have worked in construction and to get a contractor, get all that work done and signed off  in under 48 hours is a tall order which I think the management realise hence the early call off. Give the management team a break I'm sure they want to lose a race day even less than we do, especially for rectification a problem that is no fault of there's.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Maybe they not fixed the tapes. Maybe that’s the real reason. 

maybe riders are missing. 

there are no dogs today so got all day today to sort the problem 

but I am a cynic 

Try reading this post from someone with no axe to grind

The way I understand this is that the work on the greyhound track finished last night and the speedway had access from today and they found several safety fence posts damaged and needing work / replacing. This gives them less than 48 hours before tomorrows match to find a contractor to possibly break out the posts, concrete in new ones, allow the concrete to cure / harden and then re-hang the safety fence and possible have to have a track inspection of the works carried out before they can race.

I am no track expert but I have worked in construction and to get a contractor, get all that work done and signed off  in under 48 hours is a tall order which I think the management realise hence the early call off. Give the management team a break I'm sure they want to lose a race day even less than we do, especially for rectification a problem that is no fault of there's.

3 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Yes all the fault of Sheffield Speedway, they should have re-laid the dog track faster than they did, without damaging the fence posts, or perhaps it wasn't the speedway that were relaying the dog track, perhaps you never thought of that

Maybe they shouldn't have the British Final at Belle Vue anyway because it rains a lot in Manchester, as Monday night proves

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FromBendThree said:

Sheffield - certainly a track for travelling fan to swerve.

Yes, i am sure loads will turn up tomorrow night thinking there is racing and then find out there isnt

3 hours ago, TTT said:

Again the speedway is not responsible for the dog track, any more than Peterborough Speedway is responsible for what goes on there

25 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Yes, i am sure loads will turn up tomorrow night thinking there is racing and then find out there isnt

Not the point I was making. If you travel from further afield you often need to book trains to get best deal and book hotels. Hotels can be cancelled but trains rather more tricky.

• Like 1

Aren’t there normally dogs on a Thursday afternoon as well, so probably not even a full day to try and rectify things.

Personally glad to see them call it off at this stage rather than saying nothing, trying to fix it, fail and then call it off late in the day after people have travelled.

In terms of people booking travel etc in advance… surely people have been around long enough to know that no speedway meeting in this country is guaranteed. The weather alone puts paid to that. People may have planned to come, but they would be foolish to come on the premise that it was definitely going ahead,

There seem to be a lot of people with axes to grind against Sheffield at the moment for no apparent reason. Given the amount of vitriol being thrown at them, you wouldn’t blame the promoters for saying duck it and walking away.

The promoters up and down the country plough their own cash into the sport where others either aren’t willing or simply don’t have the cash, and all they get is a load of crap from “supporters” who hide behind keyboards for the most part. Not for one minute suggesting people should put up or shut up, but if somebody started mouthing off at me and demanding that I spend my money on certain things or in a certain way and then criticising me regardless, I would be very swiftly telling them to do one! 

Edited by Cue Ball
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like the numpties have gone into hiding again. They come on here spouting crap without knowing the facts. Yes we do have dog meetings Tuesday Friday Saturday but we also have the BAGS dog racing on Mondays and Thursdays so track time for our track staff is very very limited. Once again idiots with no facts jump on the  slag speedway down bandwagon. The people who don’t attend speedway meetings at their own track or people who don’t go to Sheffield speedway regular. There is also stock car racing at Sheffield and they just run their meeting and leave the track in a disgraceful state leaving our track staff vaulenteers to sort out.  It’s a real shame these people get on such a high by slagging Sheffield speedway off because with the sport been in such a decline I worry what will happen when there’s no speedway to slag off. Probably be slitting their wrists.  Some people really need to get a life and join the real world. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's always someone else's fault!! :rofl:

Bottom line is the buck stops with the promotion for a series of shambolic incidents

Let's hope that the saying that things come in 3s is true and no more are to follow :P