British Speedway Forum
PhilTheAce

Sheffield -V- Wolves Thursday 4th aug OFF

6 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

And belle Vue rightfully got slated and lost 1000s. 

belle Vue in 2016 was a shambles. And Sheffield this year is a shambles. 

Yes so it can happen anywhere anytime then can’t it    The Bates will have lost money thro this and if I was them I’d be taking up with the landlord and want compensation 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JCookie said:

That's the gist of it. Whether you genuinely are convinced by the promotion or not, there's a few on here who'd argue black was white if Damien Bates told them to.

My information is via track staff mate not mr Bates so I know what I believe to be true 

14 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Actually I have 2 businesses one is rental. As landlord if there’s a problem I get someone to do the work  I haven’t got time to stand over them. I trust them to do the work I then check it and pay them. Mr Bates rents owlerton stadium. The landlord is heavily invested in the dog racing world. Speedway is secondary to him. Mr Bates has no control over what happens at the stadium. He just has to pick up the pieces and roll with it. If mr Allen has had a new dog track laid and the speedway side has suffered damages then if I was Mr Bates I would be having a word with the owner because the rental contract has been broken. I would hope that mr Allen foots the bill. Hope this helps you understand the problem our promotion have. 

Okay, how's this for a scenario... One of your properties has a few cracked tiles in the bathroom, so you arrange for a bathroom fitter to come and fit some new tiles. But in the process of doing so, he accidentally rips out the cold water pipe and now there's water pi55ing down the stairs and through the ceiling below. The tenant, meanwhile is a single mother with a new born babe. Do you let the bloke go home for his tea and leave you with a major emergency? Of course not: he stays there till the pipe's fixed. This is a lesson Mr. Bates has clearly not learned, and now he's got a thousand people queuing at the turnstiles for a speedway match, a load of broken posts and not a contractor in sight. Whose fault is it?

• Like 1

Moving on, from the blame game, anyone know the cut off date for the play offs?  Not too many Premiership nights when Tigers not racing, between now and mid September. Also if the GB championship re arranged, another ruled out for a match.

Also still got the League cup final to arrange.

14 hours ago, Steve55 said:

Got back home from Owlerton Stadium about 20 minutes ago. Yes I went there thinking the weathers great, track should be in great shape and looking forward to some good racing! I don't do social media (Facebook), I do look at the clubs website prior to meetings when the weathers bad or riders are injured, if at Sheffield or else where. I also occasionally look on here, on the run up to some meetings. But this week I've been busy and didn't. I wasn't the only person to turn up there this evening as a steady stream of cars came into the car park, with drivers and passengers having puzzled looks on their faces, whilst I was on my phone checking the clubs website. I saw three men (obviously not wise) standing in the car park, shrugging their shoulders whilst in conversation about the situation. I do hope that none of them had travelled from Wolverhampton, but they will have come from far and wide.

I've been going to Sheffield speedway on and off since I was 10 years old and with more than half a century gone I can't remember a season like this one. The COVID season last year ran better than this one. I've had a season ticket for the last 7 years, but I won't be getting one next year. The club have the email addresses of all the season ticket holders and probably their phone numbers as well on record. Wouldn't it have been a thought to send a message to ALL regarding what was happening. I've had radio Sheffield on today and heard the news twice but don't recall hearing about the meeting being off  -  was it on the radio? All I can say is that the contractors are to blame for the damage, but the club have to take most, if not all the responsibility for getting the word out there that the meeting was off and as far as I'm concerned they didn't do enough.

Just another case of speedway still being stuck in the 20th century. It's 2022 now and easier than ever for clubs to setup a group notification alert... but no we're still getting the equivalent of "meeting cancelled" messages written on old crisp boxes like I experienced once at Long Eaton!

On 8/5/2022 at 1:11 PM, 4thbender said:

Okay, how's this for a scenario... One of your properties has a few cracked tiles in the bathroom, so you arrange for a bathroom fitter to come and fit some new tiles. But in the process of doing so, he accidentally rips out the cold water pipe and now there's water pi55ing down the stairs and through the ceiling below. The tenant, meanwhile is a single mother with a new born babe. Do you let the bloke go home for his tea and leave you with a major emergency? Of course not: he stays there till the pipe's fixed. This is a lesson Mr. Bates has clearly not learned, and now he's got a thousand people queuing at the turnstiles for a speedway match, a load of broken posts and not a contractor in sight. Whose fault is it?

The owner has to provide a stadium fit for purpose i wouldn’t expect my tenants to start doing repairs in my property. We rent a track with a fence. Track staff prepare track and put air fence up. It’s up to Dave Allen to sanction replacing fence posts etc it’s his property. !!!  Anyway let’s see if it’s repaired for Monday