British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Are Running In 2023

BIRMINGHAM have declared their intention to compete in the 2023 Championship campaign.

There has been regular communication between consortium leader Nigel Tolley and the British Speedway Promoters’ Ltd in recent weeks with more than one eye already looking towards next season.

During his process to take over the Perry Barr side last year, Tolley outlined an ambitious business plan for the club.

But with the takeover taking much longer than anticipated, that hampered several plans on various levels.

Tolley and his other consortium members feel that an increase in promotional initiatives, attracting significant new sponsorship and assembling a competitive and entertaining rider line-up could see them achieve their goals.

And Tolley has moved early to allay any fears of supporters.

“From the moment we sat down to begin our bid to takeover the Brummies it’s been a whirlwind, it really has, Tolley said.

“We put together that business plan for 12 months but of course we didn’t take over until December in the end.

“Things took a little bit longer than we’d have liked to put into operation so with our season almost over, it really is a two year plan.

“So we’ve now got to be looking to next season to put all the things right that were wrong this year.

“It’s been a very, very big learning curve for me, but what I’ve learnt is unbelievable and I’m going to use that experience for the future.

“I’ve said it all along - we certainly won’t just throw in the towel.

“There are a lot uncertainties, but we are looking to the 2023 season.

“As I’ve said, some of the things we didn’t get right this season, some through no fault of our own, I’ll do everything I can to get them right for next season.

“For me, the main thing there is building a team to get us into the play-offs.

“Because of how much longer everything took than we first anticipated during the winter, team wise we were on the back foot from the off with a large chunk of riders already committed elsewhere.

“And while things have gone against us almost from the off with an unbelievable amount of bad luck, we can hopefully put ourselves in a better position when it comes to building a team by declaring our intentions nice and early.

“We’ve already had a good number of riders say they’d like to come and ride for Birmingham next season - and based on those riders, along with one or two we’d like to try and include ourselves, I have every confidence that we could get into next year’s play-offs and build a team that supporters would really enjoy coming to watch week in, week out.”

• Like 5

That is real heartening news:)

• Like 3

Great news!

Hopefully, from the 'big-big' learning curve that he's indicated....he will not only bring in some decent riders, but a new team manager !

Not saying shoe LR the door, but bring in a proper speedway manager, not just someone who knows the tricks of the trade so to speak.

LR can lend his experience/involvement with just promotional side of things!

52 minutes ago, lewy said:

Good news,priority should be a new manager. 

Why? I don't see that anyone else could have done better.

2 hours ago, lewy said:

Good news,priority should be a new manager. 

Who would you suggest, team managers are ten a penny after all.

1 minute ago, kitten2502 said:

Who would you suggest, team managers are ten a penny after all.

Will Pottinger.:)

• Like 2

Lee Kilby if he's available.

Very knowlegable and would be an asset in other roles too.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HGould said:

Lee Kilby if he's available.

Very knowlegable and would be an asset in other roles too.

Great shout!

Likeable character too!

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Based on this post I would definitely rule you out:t:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, *JJ said:

Anyone who thinks that Shanes and Morris are fans favourites needs to be questioned (there hasn't been a fans favourite since Jason Lyons retired):unsure:

I know of a few lapsed supporters who if certain person wasn't involved would be attending PB more often.

I'm sorry to be cynical but if you're moving things forward then things have to change.

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, bluejam said:

Anyone who thinks that Shanes and Morris are fans favourites needs to be questioned :unsure:

I know of a few lapsed supporters who if certain person wasn't involved would be attending PB more often.

I'm sorry to be cynical but if you're moving things forward then things have to change.

Quite right....

Shanes would be a useful reserve at best. I thought Morris could come good this season, but he hasn't and looks like he never will?

I'd give Pearson another season and try and hold on to Nielsen.

As for the manager? he's tactically inept FULL STOP!

P.s Please don't bring Paco back.....nice guy, but .......

Great news for Speedway fans. Give the man a badge!!:o

26 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Quite right....

Shanes would be a useful reserve at best. I thought Morris could come good this season, but he hasn't and looks like he never will?

I'd give Pearson another season and try and hold on to Nielsen.

As for the manager? he's tactically inept FULL STOP!

P.s Please don't bring Paco back.....nice guy, but .......

TBH,team building for 2023 can be saved for later.All I ask for is Birmingham Brummies 2023 is going to be well and heading in the right direction and not to be on life support like they have been in 2022;)

• Like 1