British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Are Running In 2023

22 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Wow...

Could have been a true "Sliding Doors' moment that one Dean...

Whoi knows...

If you had said "yes" maybe it could be you now over watering, and over grading GP tracks each fortnight or so,  just when they start to produce good racing.....:D

Yes could also of been a disaster too :rofl:  on a serious note I have this belief that it takes a certain type of personality to get the best out of a certain job, like I know I am a very good competent quick spanner man but that doesn’t mean I’m the right mechanic for certain riders to be better riders ,I’ve been a spanner man for a few but turned down others because either I can’t stand them or I don’t think I’m what they need to be a better rider ,i know some TMs and spanner men (current and in past)that are just not right for that team or rider but do it anyway and I fit into that, I don’t think I’m a TM person , former riders don’t necessarily make good managers either ,it comes down to personality, I also turned down buxton for TM job too, I like Phil morris and get on with him, had a chat with him in a club in Toruń a couple of years back about the GP riders and the series in general and I understand how hard his job is and listening to him thinking this GP thing isn’t for me either 

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Petecc said:

...some bunch of grumpy old gits...

Let's hope that this problem gets addressed then.

In a city where 40% of the population is aged under 25, relying on older people for your fan base doesn't bode well for a long-term future. Let's just hope that with the promotion giving it a proper go, they can tap into a younger and more sustainable audience.  

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Let's hope that this problem gets addressed then.

In a city where 40% of the population is aged under 25, relying on older people for your fan base doesn't bode well for a long-term future. Let's just hope that with the promotion giving it a proper go, they can tap into a younger and more sustainable audience.  

If you actually went there, you would see plenty of younger people going. The trick is to pursuade them to keep going IMO.

7 minutes ago, *JJ said:

If you actually went there, you would see plenty of younger people going. The trick is to pursuade them to keep going IMO.

Fully agree, but to keep them you need success, not being funny but people can almost see the outcome of a match involving Brummies as soon as the teams are named for the match, I can bet my bottom dollar if LR is team manager next year, half of this present team declared before a wheel was turned will be signed up again, and ex riders like castagna, Harris etc will be sounded out again, its not good enough I'm sorry, build a new young team who we will know will be competitive, the only 2 to me who have battled this season have been Sedgeman and Nielsen, the others have been pretty crap to be fair, Pearson as potential but in my opinion needs to be in a team where he needs a leader and tutor he does not have that at brummies, Morris and Shanes have no improvement in them whatsoever and will continue to decline, so it needs to be changed, fans will go if the team is competitive, they won't go if its the same old season after season, its the way I see it, Drury was great motivator when the Brummies reopened in 2007 and someone of that mindset needs to be appointed as team manager to get the club competitive again, if Brummies want mediocrity or below stay with what you've got, but no one will attend 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, *JJ said:

I agree... four of those new kids I've introduced :)

Edited by Deano

2 hours ago, Gerbat1875 said:

Drury was great motivator when the Brummies reopened in 2007 and someone of that mindset needs to be appointed as team manager to get the club competitive again,

I liked Graham even though he had some strange ways. He didn't like collections during the meetings for example and it took a few attempts to get the 50/50 draw going. The early days was a big learning curve around behaviours.

But also many people wanted him out after a spell of lost meetings.

18 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

I am sure there will be! I am certainly not expecting Poole to keep all their HLs, maybe just one of them or 2 if we are lucky! 

As a Leicester supporter I'd be in favour of restrictions and if anything we're even more top heavy than Poole this year. Also Leicester need Birmingham and vice-versa so there's a self interest aspect as well

• Like 3