British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

Eric Boothroyd

News coming through that former rider and Halifax promoter Eric Boothroyd passed away last night, aged 95.

• Sad 1

Another one passes. Not many of the 1960’s riders left.

Sad news indeed. Rode for the "Cheetahs" amongst others and a well respected promoter.

RIP

7 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

Another one passes. Not many of the 1960’s riders left.

That scares the hell out of me...

Sad news indeed he was one of those who  morphed from rider  to promoter almost seamlessly  ,loved the sport and was well respected   RIP

• Like 1

See the oldest world finalists list, another one leaves, take a look at the updated list. I'm getting depressed, I well recall Eric captaining the  all conquering Halifax team of 1966- guess he was in his forties then. Tremendous rider for Middlesbrough Bears also, he is a great loss but now becomes part of speedway history. A tough guy on track but a down to earth guy off the track. I don't think we will we ever see his like again. RIP Eric.

• Like 1

Just another note on Eric, his wife Bonnie-lovely lady-predeceased him by a few years. She famously kept detailed statistics on all his rides in all his meetings. Reg Fearman who knew Eric very well and kept in touch with him all these years mentioned that Eric specified he wanted no obituary, no fuss , no muss on his death. A cautious and conservative Yorkshireman his wishes were respected. I had a lot of respect for Eric R.I.P.

• Like 4

Remember Eric well from the fifties and sixties, a true character who left his indelible mark on the sport. If  I make it to 95 I'll be well pleased.  RIP Eric.

On 8/25/2022 at 10:49 AM, jrs said:

If  I make it to 95 I'll be well pleased.

I feel bad for you... The way this bloody world is deteriorating, I certainly don't have any intention of being around in 35 years! I'm ready to go now - well, I want to stick around for a few weeks to see if Bewley qualifies for next year's GP's...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chunky said:

I feel bad for you... The way this bloody world is deteriorating, I certainly don't have any intention of being around in 35 years! I'm ready to go now - well, I want to stick around for a few weeks to see if Bewley qualifies for next year's GP's...

Chunks , you’d better stay for another year at least to see him win the title next year :)    Sorry no emojis available it says.  :(

Edited by jrs

3 hours ago, jrs said:

Chunks , you’d better stay for another year at least to see him win the title next year :)    Sorry no emojis available it says.  :(

Good point! Thanks!

Did Boothroyd ride in Australia and New Zealand in the mid 1960s

Edited by Guest

34 minutes ago, JohnHyam said:

Did Boothroyd ride in Australia and New Zealand in the mid 1960s

Not that I recall.  Eric moved from Reg Fearman's Middlesbrough team to Reg's Long Eaton track for the 1964 season, as the change of race night enabled him to continue to combine riding with running his greengrocery business.  A trip abroad would have been at odds with his business commitments.  Eric toured South Africa with other members of the Birmingham team in the winter of 1956-57.  The tour was disastrous for the Brummies.  Alan Hunt was killed in a track crash and Boothroyd and Ron Mountford were subsequently suspended during the 1957 season for riding on unlicensed tracks. Birmingham then closed in July and Bradford took over the remaining fixtures.