British Speedway Forum
lbw

NDL Pairs Leicester 20tn August

I think Armadale must have shocked a few people, me included.

Obviously the Thompson twins were a class act,  but thought the meeting was pretty poor really. Goodness knows what was wrong with the second bend, but hey ho, it was the same for everybody.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, RoundTheBoards said:

Seven pairs of National League riders take on a pair of Championship riders who have the advantage of racing on their own track with its huge home advantage.

Great work BSPL.

This could have been a good meeting if staged at Sheffield or Scunthorpe or King's Lynn or Peterborough etc etc.   

Instead it's a borefest where we already know the winners.   Give it a swerve.

Presumably Sheffield, Scunthorpe, King's Lynn and Peterborough showed no interest in staging the meeting whereas Leicester did - and also invest in the expense of running a team in the league which none of the four do. Also why pay money to landlords at Owlerton and Peterborough who have done few favours to speedway this season?

40 minutes ago, George Dodds said:

Also why pay money to landlords at Owlerton and Peterborough who have done few favours to speedway this season?

In what way is paying money to the landlords of Leicester any different than paying to the landlords of Scunthorpe or King's Lynn?  (Surely they're all owned by the promoter?) Or Redcar for that matter, which would have been another good choice?

At least it would have been a neutral (and better prepared) track.  Bit of a joke holding it at the home of two Championship riders.   

And we wouldn't have had the farce of a race where 2 riders fell, 1 spun 360, and one gave up.  The one who spun 360 winning, and the one who gave up then restarting when one of the other 2 fallers got back on.

15 minutes ago, PotteringAround said:

In what way is paying money to the landlords of Leicester any different than paying to the landlords of Scunthorpe or King's Lynn?  (Surely they're all owned by the promoter?) Or Redcar for that matter, which would have been another good choice?

At least it would have been a neutral (and better prepared) track.  Bit of a joke holding it at the home of two Championship riders.   

And we wouldn't have had the farce of a race where 2 riders fell, 1 spun 360, and one gave up.  The one who spun 360 winning, and the one who gave up then restarting when one of the other 2 fallers got back on.

Leicester is not owned by the promoter!!

21 hours ago, False dawn said:

The crowd wasn't bad for an NDL meeting (the 50-50 was £265) and I saw fans from several "away" tracks. Not sure what was happening early doors. Apart from the twins, hardly anyone seem to be confident to attack the corners. The track wasn't doctored and later on there were several riders posting good times and racing hard. Elliot Kelly certainly gave the twins something to think about in the final.

The twins and Jenkins attacked the bends whereas most of the others didn't.

Edited by Skodaman
Typo

3 hours ago, Skodaman said:

Leicester is not owned by the promoter!!

granted but it is a speedway-only facility

1 hour ago, George Dodds said:

granted but it is a speedway-only facility

It's a bit of a coincidence that you should say that. One of the staff told me on Saturday that the council won't allow car racing of any kind at Beaumont Leys. Odd really, as you'd need binoculars and a very tall set of step ladders to see the nearest house.

Can anyone tell me if the NDL Pairs was filmed for DVD? I'm trying to contact Clean Cut but haven't heard back from them yet.

On 8/22/2022 at 3:52 PM, False dawn said:

It's a bit of a coincidence that you should say that. One of the staff told me on Saturday that the council won't allow car racing of any kind at Beaumont Leys. Odd really, as you'd need binoculars and a very tall set of step ladders to see the nearest house.

That’s the reason Buster sold it on quickly to the Bates, he wanted to run stock cars but was told that would never be allowed so moved it on .

On 8/25/2022 at 6:53 PM, Fortythirtyeight said:

That’s the reason Buster sold it on quickly to the Bates, he wanted to run stock cars but was told that would never be allowed so moved it on .

Buster? Thought it was Dave Hemsley who still owned the lease but sub  leased tothe Bates promotion. Although I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, George Dodds said:

Buster? Thought it was Dave Hemsley who still owned the lease but sub  leased tothe Bates promotion. Although I could be wrong. 

You are, Buster took it over when Helmsley capitulated but you may have missed it as the deals were done quite quickly.