British Speedway Forum
iris123

Andrew Silver

Remember seeing his rise from Rye to Arena and then Swindon,but as i stopped going to speedway when the Dons finished dont know how his career developed.Would have expected him to still be around.Hope there isnt a sad tale to this but am interested to know how he did.

Probably the most exciting rider I ever saw! Fantastic rider, but my feling is that he never really took Speedway that seriously. I don't really know what happened to him actually, but it's a shame as I think he could have gone on to great things.

I remember him riding for Eastbourne and averaging around 5 points a meeting. I never could understand that. During his time at Swindon he was - when the mood took him - one of the best passers and team riders I ever saw.

Edited by Grachan

know what you mean Grachan about him not taking it seriously, remember being at CH for a test match Eng v Denmark, he arrived late & then did nothing all meeting, he then proceeded to brag in his Speedway Mail Column about how he had got stuck in traffic going to the match & had to skateboard, (yes Skateboard) down the hard shoulder of the motorway, he then went on to moan about being stopped by the cops!!

Remeber he also has a comeback one year, don't know for who, but the first meeting of the season was at Cov, he had 3 rides, finished stone last in all 3 & prompltly announced his retirement.

As you said, a great talent wasted

Wasn't he invited to take part in an open meeting somewhere (Arena maybe?) a few years after his retirement, and surprised everyone by nearly winning the meeting.

He was a bit of a World Class Snowboarder too, if I remember rightly.

Wasn't he invited to take part in an open meeting somewhere (Arena maybe?) a few years after his retirement, and surprised everyone by nearly winning the meeting.

He was a bit of a World Class Snowboarder too, if I remember rightly.

Does'nt Len own/run Silver Ski? I suppose snowboarding in the Alps etc beats a wet & cold Saturday night in Swindon :D

Apparently (from what dad has told me), Andrew was a brilliant division 2 rider (10+ average, could beat anyone) but when he moved up, he was expected to be the next big thing but managed to average 7 for Swindon before slowly declining and quiting. Yes he did make a come back at a meeting a few years back but I think it was Rye Houses first meeting back at Hoddesden? Or prehaps it was at arena at the end of the year before Rye Hosue come back at there won track, anyway, I remember the rumours he would ride in the CL for Rye House with a view to signing for there PL team the year after. (hmm, did Rye go PL in there 2nd year at Hoddesdon? If not it might have been at the end of Rye's 1st season back he rode!).

He has been mentioned in the Speedway Star recently, Len took the Rye House team (minus Masters) for a ski weekend and he sad he was not too happy when he learnt that Andrew had been teaching Chris Neath, Davey Watt and (possibly, I can't remember) Tommy Allen to snowboard :D

I went to the Junior Championship at Canterbury in `85,won by Carl Blackbird.The line up included Silver,Andy Smith,Galvin,Simon Cross,Gary Havelock and Jamie Luckhurst.Add to that Martin Dugard,Joe Screen ,Loram and a bunch of youngsters at Eastbourne.What with Kelvin Tatum and Simon Wigg who were a few years ahead and at the time i really thought England were going to dominate speedway for a decade at least.Its never easy to tell how youngsters will develope of course and i guess to get 2 World Champs from that bunch plus the Longtrack titles as well makes it one of the best if not the best generation but the trophy cabinet isnt as full as could be expected.And out of them i would have imagined Andy might have gained a major title or 2.

Andrew had a nasty accident at Kingsmead and ended up at Kent and Canterbury Hospital for a few operations before being allowed home, I went to visit him a few times with Auntie Una from Hackney.

Also remember the time when Andrew stuffed someone through the pit gate at Kingsmead hmmmmmm picked on the wrong fella there didn't he :wink:

He visits and posts on the speedwayatryehouse message board on issues blueandyellow.

I was really over the moon when he joined Swindon full time , after being our number 8 for a while....

Sadly he never fulfilled his un-doubted potential.....

I clearly remember one night at Oxford....Ivan Mauger, then working with Hans Nielsen, was interviewed on the centre green, and said that he thought Andrew would never make it to the top (correct as it happens...)....In the next race, Andrew went out and came from the back to beat Marvyn Cox, which was no mean feat at the time....Ivan took a bit of stick from the Swindon fans immediately after the race...

Had a great night at Coventry when Andrew won the 1987 NLRC whilst riding for Arena....He won that nights sweepstake for me....

I am guessing he joined Swindon in 1988 ?

He last rode for Eastbourne at Coventry after coming back from a bad injury at the end of the previous season. He could not hack it and announced his retirement. He was replaced by Stefan Anderssen. He was very popular at Eastbourne.

I was really over the moon when he joined Swindon full time , after being our number 8 for a while....

Sadly he never fulfilled his un-doubted potential.....

I clearly remember one night at Oxford....Ivan Mauger, then working with Hans Nielsen, was interviewed on the centre green, and said that he thought Andrew would never make it to the top (correct as it happens...)....In the next race, Andrew went out and came from the back to beat Marvyn Cox, which was no mean feat at the time....Ivan took a bit of stick from the Swindon fans immediately after the race...

Had a great night at Coventry when Andrew won the 1987 NLRC whilst riding for Arena....He won that nights sweepstake for me....

I am guessing he joined Swindon in 1988 ?

He was number 8 in 1987, and joined full time in 1988. It's not often you actually want someone to be absent so you can use your no 8, but that's how I used to feel.

Same as you, Jeffster. I was so pleased when he joined full time. He may not have ultimately fulfilled his potential, but he was by no means a failure in my book. It was a real joy to watch him ride, and when on top form he was totally amazing. I used to love it when he missed the gate on the outside, looked across and waited for everyone to go ahead, then cut under everyone on the first turn to come out in the lead. I saw that happen quite a few times at Blunsdon.

I reckon his 'decline' came about because he had his hair cut, kinda like that Samson bloke. (No, not Lou or Mike! The one in the bible!)

A great video clip Grachan that brought memories back of the old Andy Silver. B)

It's great isn't it! I love the collective 'gasp' from the crowd when he picks up extra drive on the second lap.

Excellent clip there Grachan thanks for that made the hairs on my arms stand up on end, must show some of the doubters of speedway what a wonderful sport it is they always say first out the "TRAP" (I ask ya!!! can't even get it right can they!) wins that just goes to show what racing is all about.