British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Wimbledon v Hackney memories

What memories do supporters have of the old Wimbledon v Hackney clashes at Waterden Rd and Plough Lane? League matches, Ko Cup or the old London Cup derbies. The one that springs to mind for me was the London Cup clash at Plough Lane in 1989 when the Kestrels needed a 5-0 to win the Cup and they got it!!!!!

Neville Tatum fell and was excluded in the original staging of Heat 16 then in the re-run Andy Galvin and Garry Tagg sandwiched Todd Wiltshire out of the start and Todd got excluded. The Pit Bend Loonies went mad!!!!!

I also remember Hackney clinching the double by winning the Ko Cup at Plough Lane. Wimbledon every Weds and Hackney every Friday those were the days!!!

Wouldnt it be great if they could have a Wimbledon v Hackney fixture at Plough Lane again this season Kelvin and Ripper could guest for Wimbledon with Moggo, Loramski and Chris Louis for Hackney. Go on Mr # Name Removed # the place would be packed out.

Was at the London Cup match in `73 when the Dons trailed at home 8-21 after 5 heats to come back and win with a last heat 5-1.And then later in the year Hackney snatched a draw with a 5-1 in the league match.But personally i didnt at the time feel that there was too much rivalry.It was maybe that Wimbledons natural rivals ,Wembley,West Ham and New Cross had gone and Hackney were there in place :unsure: Always looked forward to Belle Vue`s visits more,to be honest.By the 80`s it was much better,maybe the passing of time,maybe because we both had more exciting teams :unsure:

remember seeing a match against an Ex-Wembley side ,just a fixture filler.Dont think an Ex-Hackney side is a better idea,personally

Remember that '89 meeting - I was stood right by the pits at the time and had to make a hasty exit as the wombles were just taking it all TOO seriously!

Those meetings were always great fun - if nervewracking. Don't think they ever quite forgave us for '88!!

I also remember one time when there was a tube strike called for the night of the meeting. I think the Kestrels management tried to get the wombles to agree to postpone it as our fans would have so many problems getting to Plough lane, but they wouldn't. Anyway, a bunch of us decided that no way was it going to stop us, and Terry Heath agreed to drive us over in the supporters club bus. The traffic was terrible, we only had a sketchy idea of the route, and nearly got stuck in the Rotherhithe Tunnel as Terry had forgotten the height restriction. Eventually arrived there just after the start of the meeting I think.....!

Edited by Robyn1972

My best memory from the Hackney Vs Wimbledon matches, comes from Friday 11th May 1979, when Wimbledon broke the league record for the biggest away victory, at Waterden Road, by winning 56 - 22, happy days :D

Personally I don't either set of supporters could believe what they saw that night, I had many a happy night reminding my brother, who was a Hackney supporter of that night.

It is a great shame that Waterden Road, is now derelict, as it would brilliant too see them race again.

Montine Dons

I agree 88 & 89 were the best meetings. Do you think the current Wimbledon promotion would entertain the idea of having a Wimbledon v Hackney London Cup meeting this season with guest riders on either side e.g. Moggo, Kelvin, Ripper etc.....

I wonder how far we could have unchanged teams for this clash if it came off? I mean, on the Hackney side you would have Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Moggo of course, and perhaps persuade Andy Galvin out of retirement? For the Wombles - Ray Morton is still riding, who else? Would be fantastic to see.....

Guest cheetahhawk
My best memory from the Hackney Vs Wimbledon matches, comes from Friday 11th May 1979, when Wimbledon broke the league record for the biggest away victory, at Waterden Road, by winning 56 - 22, happy days  :D

Personally I don't either set of supporters could believe what they saw that night, I had many a happy night reminding my brother, who was a Hackney supporter of that night.

It is a great shame that Waterden Road, is now derelict, as it would brilliant too see them race again.

Oy, you don't rub it in,that one still rankles even after all these years. :sad:

perhaps persuade Andy Galvin out of retirement?

Andy is willing to ride this year, he said in the Speedway Star a few weeks back he wants a PL team place.

I wonder how far we could have unchanged teams for this clash if it came off? I mean, on the Hackney side you would have Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Moggo of course, and perhaps persuade Andy Galvin out of retirement? For the Wombles - Ray Morton is still riding, who else? Would be fantastic to see.....

Ray Morton, (Not sure if Deon Prinsloo is still riding on other shores) Could bring Todd Wiltshire back for a special meeting. How about it!! That would be great wouldn't it.

Andy is willing to ride this year, he said in the Speedway Star a few weeks back he wants a PL team place.

Just saw this as the thread has been revived and thought, Blimey, it's just like Nigel Benn v. Steve Collins! Then I saw the date on the post!!!!

For the life of me, I can't remember the Dons facing the Hawks during the CL days. We did have the 75th anniversary meeting at Plough Lane in 2003 when all the London tracks were represented in a Best Pairs event though.

Just saw this as the thread has been revived and thought, Blimey, it's just like Nigel Benn v. Steve Collins! Then I saw the date on the post!!!!

Same here. I was about to add my Wimbledon v Hackney memories, (Galvin 'organising' a 5-0, the '88 cup final, Terry Heath's 'white knuckle ride' coach trip) thinking "Damn, others have beaten me to it today."

Then I realised they had beat me by 13 years!

• Like 1