The Greatest Seven riders ever

FUNDIN

BRIGGS

MAUGER

OLSEN

KNUTSSON

CRAVEN

RICKARDSSON or CRUMP

could be the best 7 i've seen in the 60s,70s,and 00s, but then I had a 30-year gap of watching speedway missing Nielsen, Gundersen, Collins,etc.,

top 7 of al time

Mauger

Briggs

Fundin

Rikkardson

Nielsen

Olsen

Collins

Top7 I saw race (inc DVD/TV)

Mauger

Collins

Rikkardson

Nielsen

Olsen

Crump

Penhall

and top 7 i saw "live"

Penhall

Gundersen

Nielsen

Morton

Collins

S Moran

Carter

(left out Mauger/Olsen as they were past their prime)

1. Ronnie Moore 

2. Ove Fundin 

3. Tom Farndon 

4. Barry Briggs 

5. Ivan Mauger 

6. Peter Craven 

7. Freddie Williams

50 minutes ago, Celticman said:

1. Ronnie Moore 

2. Ove Fundin 

3. Tom Farndon 

4. Barry Briggs 

5. Ivan Mauger 

6. Peter Craven 

7. Freddie Williams

50 minutes ago, Celticman said:

1. Ronnie Moore 

2. Ove Fundin 

3. Tom Farndon 

4. Barry Briggs 

5. Ivan Mauger 

6. Peter Craven 

7. Freddie Williams

Great bunch my seven  1./ Mauger 2./ Fundin 3./ Nielsen 4./ Briggs 5./ Rickardsson 6./ Crump  7./Olsen 

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Thanks 1

Fundin, Mauger, Briggs, Nielsen, Rickardsson, Olsen, Craven.

Trouble is my greatest seven changes and I guess somewhere on this particular thread I have listed my previous choices...however as I type they would be Mauger, Briggs, Moore, Olsen (reluctantly), Nielsen, Fundin, Collins with Michanek at first reserve (based upon riders I have seen).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

Trouble is my greatest seven changes and I guess somewhere on this particular thread I have listed my previous choices...however as I type they would be Mauger, Briggs, Moore, Olsen (reluctantly), Nielsen, Fundin, Collins with Michanek at first reserve (based upon riders I have seen).

Fair play you are not a Olsen lover Steve yet you still had the integrity to include him that is a skill to be impartial.

• Like 1

I think I've mentioned it before but I remember reading a stat that said that Vic Huxley has the best number of starts - number of wins ratio in the history of the sport. Even if most of us never saw him ride that alone must get him into the top 7 riders. Others like Farndon, Duggan etc. should also be included. As with most sports though it's difficult to compare sportsmen of different eras.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Split said:

I think I've mentioned it before but I remember reading a stat that said that Vic Huxley has the best number of starts - number of wins ratio in the history of the sport. Even if most of us never saw him ride that alone must get him into the top 7 riders. Others like Farndon, Duggan etc. should also be included. As with most sports though it's difficult to compare sportsmen of different eras.  

Couldn't agree more.

7 hours ago, Split said:

Absolutely Split. It is really impossible to name a greatest seven ever. Different times, different styles, different bikes, different tracks. Do we mean the greatest in the sense of over a long period of time or riders who shone briefly but really shone in that brief period? There are all sorts of issues to consider.

Here is a list of 20 great riders who dominated their period (and even this is not exhaustive as I am sure people can readily come up with other names). How do you decide a top seven out of this lot?

Frank Arthur, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon, Bluey Wilkinson, Jack Parker, Vic Duggan, Freddie Williams, Jack Young, Ronnie Moore, Peter Craven, Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Anders Michanek, Peter Collins, Hans Nielsen, Erik Gundersen, Tony Rickardsson, Greg Hancock.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 1