British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wimbledonwomble

The Greatest Seven riders ever

1 per jonsson 2 anders michanek 3 hans neilsen 4 penhall 5 kenny carter 6 dennis sigalos 7 ole olsen 8 mauger

Best I've seen (in no particular order)

Peter Collins

Ole Olsen

Ivan Mauger

Barry Briggs

Bruce Penhall

Tony Rickardsson

Tony Forward :D

Edited by WATigerman

Best 7 I've seen...

1. Bruce Penhall

2. Erik Gundersen

3. Janno Pedersen

4. Hans Neilsen

5. Sam Ermolenko

6. Tony Rickardsson

7. John Cook

Anyone with memories of Youngie?

Yes, I have. 1961 New Cross. Youngie was well past his best then though he was still a heat leader with Coventry, but not in the same class as the 'Big 5' of the period.

August 30 1961, King of the South Cup. Youngie scored 14 points having beaten Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Ron How, Peter Moore and Eric Williams amongst others on the way. The only rider to beat him was Ronnie Moore. However Moore also dropped a point during the meeting, so there was a run-off which Youngie duly won. So during the course of the evening he had beaten Fundin, Briggs and Moore to take the title.

The following week, 6 September 1961, the Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy. Youngie again scored 14 points, this time beating Moore, Briggs and Bjorn Knutson along the way. The only rider to beat him on the night was Peter Craven. However, Craven dropped three points during the meeting, so Youngie won without the need for a run-off this time.

He was absolutely brilliant and there was no doubt that on those two nights at New Cross the speedway world had a 'Big 6' not just 5. He rode like he must have ridden in the early 50s. I feel very privileged to have seen Youngie at his best long after I thought I'd missed his best years. He was a great rider. And always had to do it from behind as he was one of the world's worst gaters.

Edited by norbold

You are right in thinking that...until Jason Crump this year....er...

Mike Ferreira took some stopping for Wimbledon

and Canterbury :wink: He won the NLRC for us

And just about every other race he rode in during 1981. :)

In my speedway lifetime:

Kenny Carter

Michael Lee

Hans Nielsen

Tony Rickardsson

Thomas Gollob

Mark Loram

Chris Morton

and second division:

Joe Owen

Bob Garrad

Steve Lawson

Rod Hunter

Martin Goodwin

Leigh Adams

Matej Zagar

In no particular order...

1. Ivan Mauger... still had the hunger for that last title at 39 years old.

2. Ole Olsen... a fantastic and skilful racer.

3. Peter Collins... Britains greatest and so gutsy in defending his title in 1977, with part of his shin missing. Girly footballers take note!

4. Erik Gundersen... not as consistently dominant in the league as Mr Nielsen, but always could raise his game when it really mattered.

5. Hans Nielsen... stylish, hard and as consistent as they come.

6. Tony Rickardson... won the last one-off Final, as well as a few GP's! Not fazed at all by temporary tracks, and his overtaking skills in the GP's a couple of years ago, after nearly falling off were breathtaking, showing his skill and hunger to win.

7. Jan O Pedersen... a rubbish gater, who weighed less than a sack of King Edwards spuds, how could he have been any good? Well in my book he was the greatest, simply because of his sheer riding ability, allowing to find the best racing lines on any track. In 1990 Per Jonsson fully deserved his title at Bradford, but a fit Jan O would've given him a run for his money.

Jan O Pedersen... a rubbish gater, who weighed less than a sack of King Edwards spuds, how could he have been any good? Well in my book he was the greatest, simply because of his sheer riding ability, allowing to find the best racing lines on any track. In 1990 Per Jonsson fully deserved his title at Bradford, but a fit Jan O would've given him a run for his money.

I have to agree with this one.

Of the 5 finals from 90 to 94 I think he was more than capable of winning at least three of them. I have a sneaky feeling he could have taken one or two of the early GP's aswell with Rickardsson not yet dominant - the performances of Nielsen, Knudsen and Ermolenko who were edging past their best at this stage without being properly replaced (sorry Hamill and Hancock, I may be being a bit harsh) suggest these could even have been his best years.

In terms of all time greats I think there is a flow from Young-Moore-Fundin-Briggs-Craven-Mauger-Olsen-Penhall-Gundersen-Nielsen which breaks down until we get to Rickardsson-Crump now. Without doubt Jonsson and Ermolenko are world class and without injuries who knows but I think Pedersen would have been the man to fill this gap with several titles. Had it not been for injuries I seriously think he could well be making a few top 7's on this thread.

Plus a bloody great rider to watch to top it all off!!!

In terms of all time greats I think there is a flow from Young-Moore-Fundin-Briggs-Craven-Mauger-Olsen-Penhall-Gundersen-Nielsen which breaks down until we get to Rickardsson-Crump now.

You forgot to start with Duggan Shoddy!

Why does it break down? Nielsen - Rickardsson seems ok as the latest link. Rickardsson 1994 World Champ, Nielsen 1995. There was an overlap there. And Rickardsson is currently leading the Grand Prix standings. Maybe Crump to follow but a bit early to say.

GALVINI

In terms of all time greats I think there is a flow from Young-Moore-Fundin-Briggs-Craven-Mauger-Olsen-Penhall-Gundersen-Nielsen which breaks down until we get to Rickardsson-Crump now.

You forgot to start with Duggan Shoddy!

Why does it break down? Nielsen - Rickardsson seems ok as the latest link. Rickardsson 1994 World Champ, Nielsen 1995. There was an overlap there. And Rickardsson is currently leading the Grand Prix standings. Maybe Crump to follow but a bit early to say.

Sorry - as ever!!! I think there was a bit of a gap for me between Duggan and Young whereas the others all seem to just about cross over.

Just think Nielsen was at his best in the 80's. He only won the one title after 89 although he was still riding well and Rickardsson didn't really hit that level until he won in 98. I think a fit Jan O. would have properly bridged this gap.

In terms of all time greats I think there is a flow from Young-Moore-Fundin-Briggs-Craven-Mauger-Olsen-Penhall-Gundersen-Nielsen which breaks down until we get to Rickardsson-Crump now.  Without doubt Jonsson and Ermolenko are world class and without injuries who knows but I think Pedersen would have been the man to fill this gap with several titles.  Had it not been for injuries I seriously think he could well be making a few top 7's on this thread.

Plus a bloody great rider to watch to top it all off!!!

Interesting notion of all-time greats Shoddy and how the baton is passed on. It's quite similar to the way many people view the Heavyweight boxing title. I'd agree with your "title holders" too and will have to tip my hat to Norbold's greater knowledge of Vic Duggan and the like.

In contrast I'd nominate Per Jonsson as the man most likely to make the list if not for injury. He really was tremendously talented, possibly the smoothest overtaker I've ever seen.

Edited by falcace

Starting at the beginning I'd put the baton passing like this:

Frank Arthur, Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon, Bluey Wilkinson, Gap for 2nd World War, Vic Duggan, Jack Young (yes you're right Shoddy, probably a bit of a gap as I would say Tommy Price and Freddie Williams were not quite in the 'great' bracket) and then as your list, though Craven's era fell wholly within Moore and Fundin's baton holding period and I would argue never clearly the number one in his own right like Moore or Fundin.

The above also misses out Jack Parker who was undoubtedly one of the greatest riders of all time with certainly the longest span at the top from about 1930 - 1950, but maybe never the actual top at any time.