British Speedway Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. The start marshal has 1 too many "L"'s on his back
  3. chunky

Home Advantage, eh?

Moreso than most sports, speedway traditionally has a problem with "home Advantage", but how big an issue is it? Let's look at some home-track winners from the BL era (1965 to 1990), and there are two reasons for that. Firstly, many tracks got into the habit of running regular (and well-established) individual meetings, and secondly, there was a tendency to get as many top riders as they could. I've chosen what I consider to be the strongest established events at most BL tracks. Some of you may wonder why I chose the Internationale over The Laurels, but I always felt that The Laurels leant toward a "regional field", or riders that we enjoyed seeing. I know there were several meetings like that around the country. So, here goes... Belle Vue - BLRC: Ivan Mauger (1971), Peter Collins (1974, 1975), Chris Morton (1984), Shawn Moran (1989) Coventry - Brandonapolis: Nigel Boocock (1966, 1968, 1971), Mitch Shirra (1980), Tommy Knudsen (1982, 1984) Cradley - Golden Hammer: Bobby Schwartz (1979), Lance King (1983), Alan Grahame (1984), Erik Gundersen (1986, 1987), Jan O. Pedersen (1989), Simon Cross (1990) Exeter - Westernapolis: Ivan Mauger (1973, 1975), Zdenek Kudrna (1979) Hackney - Champions Chase: Bengt Jansson (1973), Barry Thomas (1979) Halifax - Dews Trophy: Eric Boocock (1970, 1973), Graham Plant (1976), Ian Cartwright (1979), Kenny Carter (1980, 1981) Ipswich - Golden Sovereign: John Louis (1975), Billy Sanders (1976, 1978, 1979) King's Lynn - Pride of the East: Terry Betts (1968), Howard Cole (1969), Dave Jessup (1979, 1980), Michael Lee (1981) Poole - Blue Riband: Malcolm Simmons (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978) Reading - Manpower Trophy: Anders Michanek (1973), Joh Davis (1978) Sheffield - Yorkshire Bank Trophy: Bob Valentine (1973), Doug Wyer (1979) Wimbledon - Internationale: Trevor Hedge (1969), Edward Jancarz (1977) Wolverhampton - Champion of Champions: Ole Olsen (1970, 1972, 1974) Sad note is the fact that, out of all these tracks, only Belle Vue, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Poole, and Sheffield still exist...
  4. great. i have a season pass but couldn’t see it clarified anywhere.
  5. It is on the season pass.Obviously you can also purchase it if you don’t have a pass.
  6. This has been a game of two guests; Vissing has been great, Sedgman has been awful
  7. Why oh why did we not keep Claus. Be struggling if he wasn't here tonight
  8. Strange decision by the Berwick manager to not substitute Borke for Hodder
  9. On the season pass, most likely the replacement for the postponed Scunthorpe home meeting
  10. is this being offered on the season pass or is it an additional pay per view?
  11. Heat 13 was quite exciting, and Zmarzlik beaten for the first time tonight.
  12. Crazy decision not giving Freddie his third race there instead of Rory of 15m.
  13. So far this season it’s hard to see where the challenge for Lublin is going to come from, even Wrocław look a poor team, I thought grudiadz would do well this year but they were poor last week at home, early days but Lublin are super strong
  14. Knudsen now riding tomorrow as Poland been postponed. Wright withdrawn tonight now too, so must be a doubt for tomorrow. Update: Wright officially out, Riss guesting.
  15. Zmarzlik is on another level, must be soul destroying to his GP opponents, he is winning races with ease
  16. Today
  17. LagutaRacingFan

Brummies 2024...

Artem Laguta is desperate to ride in Britain. Nobody is prepared to give him a chance.
  18. That's just reduced workingtons chances Never had a good meeting on TV
  19. 1stbender

Brummies 2024...

Lampart definitely worth keeping think he will be fine in the engine room. The obvious change is Milik but I’m not sure what the options are or if Birmingham can afford to temp a strong number 1 rider.
  20. A couple of cracking races so far... You have to feel Gorzow could be getting a hiding tonight...
  21. Sedgman looked like he was riding on a lawnmower in that first race. He was always going to get caught by Harris.
  22. Wolfie456

Brummies 2024...

Good performance by Lampart tonight 9 paid 11.Worth persevering with.
  23. BSN are streaming it tomorrow now
  24. I bet Rory's a bit worried about that cloud that was shown on the stream..
  25. Hilly

Oxford Spires 2024

While Janowski is obviously not the rider of old, we really need to get him scoring more. Good performances from the others will go to waste.
  26. orion

Ipswich vs Oxford 18th April

Nothing...it was he is these days. . Been been on the down grade for some time
  27. Les, Dick, and Jim Tolley were brothers. According to a comment from Nigel on the Brummies' Facebook page, Dick and Stan (not sure where Stan fits into this!) were "distant relations".
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy