British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemini

Ian Cartwright?

Did anyone happen to watch Flog it this afternoon?

As part of the programme they went to the cottage/workroom of Robert Thompson who was born in 1876 and made the famous furniture with Mouse carvings. His great-grandson, Ian Thompson-Cartwright was interviewed. I am presuming this is the Ian Cartwright, ex Halifax rider?

I knew he was connected in some way to The Mouseman but didn't realise he was his great-grandson.

Just wondering if Simon is involved in the business in any way? There were a couple of other young men in the workroom, but I don't really know what Simon looks like, which doesn't help! :blink:

Gem going back a bit now, but Ian Cartwright was on a programme called "Go With Noakes" some years ago (as in john noakes - blue peter), he was at the time riding for Halifax, but all Noakes spoke to him about was the woodworking & the mouse thing. ( much to my disgust!!)

So I would imagine he is still at it so to speak

Edited by howling gorgon

Thanks Scunny Stag. It wasn't Simon then because both the other young men had dark hair.

Ian is managing director of the Robert Thompson business and he is obviously skilled at carpentry as he was carving a little Mouse himself. Seems a much safer job than riding a 500cc Speedway bike. :D

from what i hear, Ian was a good rider, and always a gentleman. credit to the sport. B) always carried himself well, good ambassador for speedway.

Simon does work in the family firm(although in what capacity I don't know), He rode for me in the Norfolk Braves and I very often phoned him at work.

Ian was a gentleman rider like Sandman said, I did see him in "Flogg It", and he hasn't changed much.

Edited by Team Man

Si basically works for the company when he isn't racing as far as I know.