British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Matousek

Jawa Or Gm?

Id like to know how many riders ride both gm and jawa as most ride one or other, gollobs the only 1 i can think of.

Reasons i ask is that paul cooper practiced after sundays match on both gm and jawa, both sounded garbage tbh (the new justin ef kins?). Ive read riders say they have different charateristics. :unsure:

Hmmm maybe a case of bad workmen blaming tools? They may well have different handling characteristics which suit one sort of track or another but surely the raw speed is a product of tuning, so one should not be inherently faster than the other.

Hmmm maybe a case of bad workmen blaming tools? They may well have different handling characteristics which suit one sort of track or another but surely the raw speed is a product of tuning, so one should not be inherently faster than the other.

It could be due to bad prep regards cooper as no matter what he rides he never looks quick to me. Im no expert on motors, it was just you dont usually see riders ride both.

I reckon it's more psychological than anything else. The rider feels mentally more at home on one engine so sticks to it.

I reckon it's more psychological than anything else. The rider feels mentally more at home on one engine so sticks to it.

It the same with a lot of the parts- Its like a fashion trend

It does get in your head that a certain make is better than another

an example of such is an NEB clutch is better than a Jawa - but is it????

Alot comes down to what youre used to and the feelings.

Theres also the long verses small stroke debate.

I have always ridden long jawas, and will continue to due to

1. Im used to their power curve and how they feel

2. I know their maintainance

3. I know how they feel at the start of a race and where to position on the start line

etc

Riders such as Gollob only use the Jawa at Bydgodscz because he knows exactly how it responds on that big fast track -

although like you say alot can come down to tuning and other settings

Riders have a different engine set for small or big tracks - this is very common. Although normally the same make of engine

As I understand though a Long Jawa is seen as better than a long GM - whereas a Short GM is seen over a short Jawa.

it is said most will return to Long engines with the introduction of the new silencer next season.

Gms cost more than Jawas too ;)

Think your right but is it not a case psychology in all sports in many cases IMO riders just use what more successful riders do and it would appear that GM is the flavor at this time .Never ridden a laydown but I found the weslake 4 valve much better than the jawa of the 70's( was little good on either I might add)just down to the individual.

Always been told the GM is the 'better' motor when tuned but loses it's tune earlier. A Jawa(JRM) is reckoned to be more resilient and can be thrashed and last longer between tuning(therefore cheaper to maintain). :approve:

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

It could be due to bad prep regards cooper as no matter what he rides he never looks quick to me. Im no expert on motors, it was just you dont usually see riders ride both.

His motors are tuned by the same person that does Tai's but yo're no expert on motors as you say.

Think your right but is it not a case psychology in all sports in many cases IMO riders just use what more successful riders do and it would appear that GM is the flavor at this time .Never ridden a laydown but I found the weslake 4 valve much better than the jawa of the 70's( was little good on either I might add)just down to the individual.

Absolutely spot on.... its been shown time and again.

A rider wins the World Title on a particular make of engine and all of a sudden everyone is changing over to that make. If someone wins the title on a Jawa (JRM) this year, you will see a big change over to that engine.

Like yourself, I prefered the 4 valve Wessie to the Jawa, it suited me and I knew the engine inside out for maintenance purposes. It was also a lot more reliable in my experience too.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the amount of riders that have a certain make of engine, but actually run with the inner parts from another. Its been happening for years and makes a mockery of the debate of which engine make is better. I believe a few years ago, Crumpy was running Jawa'a, but had GM parts in it, although I would assume they had to be modified to fit the Jawa casing.

Never will a standard engine be run at GP level, as an example. The riders all have non standard parts fitted.... lighter flywheels, cams etc. Its just the casing that resembles the manufacturer, the guts of the engine bears no resemblance at all in the end.

Edited by tomcat

Absolutely spot on.... its been shown time and again.

A rider wins the World Title on a particular make of engine and all of a sudden everyone is changing over to that make. If someone wins the title on a Jawa (JRM) this year, you will see a big change over to that engine.

Like yourself, I prefered the 4 valve Wessie to the Jawa, it suited me and I knew the engine inside out for maintenance purposes. It was also a lot more reliable in my experience too.

The other thing that makes me chuckle is the amount of riders that have a certain make of engine, but actually run with the inner parts from another. Its been happening for years and makes a mockery of the debate of which engine make is better. I believe a few years ago, Crumpy was running Jawa'a, but had GM parts in it, although I would assume they had to be modified to fit the Jawa casing.

Never will a standard engine be run at GP level, as an example. The riders all have non standard parts fitted.... lighter flywheels, cams etc. Its just the casing that resembles the manufacturer, the guts of the engine bears no resemblance at all in the end.

Agreed. Same was said about Gollob a couple of years ago. :approve:

:blink::blink:

I would also disagree about things not being psychological...... An experiment was run, without the riders knowledge. He wanted his bike tuned a certain way, as he was struggling. It was sent to the tuner, who did absolutely nothing to it, except removed the head and replaced it, which meant that the rider would see the new sealant around the seam. This gave him the impression that the bike had been tuned.... he promptly went out and was nigh on unbeatable. Psychology does play a large part in any sport, again speedway as an example. The 1975 World Final at Webley, John Louis V Ivan Mauger in the Run Off for 3rd. JL comes to tapes and Mauger pulls up to tapes, as JL is settling down, Mauger turns around and rides away from the tapes... JL stayed focused and won the Run off.... Now the story from JL himself was told to me and a few others one day, how he knew exactly what Mauger would try and do, it was Maugers way of trying to psych opponents out of a race. JL said he just cocked the bike over on the rest, sat and stayed completely focused on the first bend, when Mauger eventually came to tapes, JL was so tuned into the start and 1st bend he knew he had it sewn up. So in that instance Psychology failed on the part of Mauger. Its the same with engines, a rider believes a certain type of machine will win him races, slap that makers badge on anything resembling that make and he'll go and ride like a man possessed.

Oh and just in case anyone was wondering... the Non tune up was never charged for.....

The rider in question was..... myself.

GM's are quicker.