British Speedway Forum

Str Meeting At King's Lynn - 11th May 2014

Any news please anybody, as it's tipping it down here, and I don't want a wasted journey?

Okay, I've just found out that the meeting has been cancelled.

What on earth has happened with the BSF? It used to be full of information about amateur meetings, but these days gives minimal coverage.

Mike, you are up in the area so what was your rush? The club's organisers were, I suspect, en route to Norfolk and may not have had, nor yet have access to the internet (we haven't all got all-singing, all dancing mobile phones!) under those circumstances. I personally got up at 7am as the intention was that I would be picked up at 8.30 to travel up there where it looked likely I would have to act as ref and announcer. I was still racing (as best I can as an old git and bearing in mind i'm not, and never have been what might be regarded as a 'morning person!') when I received a text message at 8.25am to tell me today was off.

I updated my Facebook profile AND the STRA page on Facebook - you could have looked there - and then carried on with such things as making a coffee for myself, taking pills etc. Having done all that, only now have I taken the option to look at the BSF and seen your postings. What I'm basically saying the info has been out there if you really needed it earlier and you'd searched for it. Bryn

Well that was certainly a full in depth reply!!!

As I was under pressure to take her who should be obeyed to the shops if the speedway was off, I didn't have time to go searching round places like Facebook, which I don't get on with anyway very well. Why should I anyway, when the facility is on the the BSF and always has been.

It's now 12.30pm and I guess it's time for us both to take our midday pills. See you sometime. Mike

See my PM 'Mimmo'.

Well that was certainly a full in depth reply!!!

As I was under pressure to take her who should be obeyed to the shops if the speedway was off, I didn't have time to go searching round places like Facebook, which I don't get on with anyway very well. Why should I anyway, when the facility is on the the BSF and always has been.

It's now 12.30pm and I guess it's time for us both to take our midday pills. See you sometime. Mike

Mike,

I do share your frustration with the lack of useful information on the BSF with regards to amateur speedway. At one time it was all held up to date in one spot but now you have to search and join all these differing groups to get all the latest messages. I didn't even realise that the STR had a Facebook page.

People keep saying that it is the way to go but in my view it is a retrograde step and is very difficult to "interpret".

Martin

PS Sorry to hear about your broken ribs but at least you managed to get the Stoke v KL meeting delayed until you are fit to drive longer distances.

Like you Martin, I had no idea that STR had a Facebook page, and it didn't even cross my mind to look on there, nor will I.

I also agree that using Facebook is a retrograde step, and once again like you, I find it difficult to interpret. As for Twitter, well we won't even go with that one!!

I'm like Bryn, I haven't got an all-singing, all dancing mobile phone, because quite honestly I wouldn't know how to use one, nor would I have the time to spend playing around with it all the time even if I did.

I'm afraid Facebook has/is taking over peoples lives. You've only got to walk around town and observe how many people are glued to their mobile phone, rather than watching where they are walking, its become an absolute obsession. Last Christmas we had a lot of people round to dinner, and ALL the younger generation, plus a couple of older, actually sat at the dinner table playing with the damn things whilst eating their meal. When a question was asked of them all you got back was "Sorry I didn't hear what was said". It was so ridiculous, that two of them were texting each other sitting almost opposite each other, so they've obviously lost the art of conversation.

One rider said to me last year, along with a promoter, that they now only use Facebook as they got fed up with being slagged off on a forum. That to me is total nonsense, because it's just as easy to slag someone off on Facebook as it is on a Forum, and is a lot easier for the world and his friend to read about too.

I understand messages can be sent privately on Facebook, but once again, I don't know how to do that, although in this instance I think you do, as I think you contacted me once to enquire how my wife was progressing. I'm stuck with the old-fashioned e-mails I'm afraid (at least I've advanced from Snail Mail), but even with that system, I'm beginning to find it more and more difficult to get people to respond to me, and I can only assume it's because their noses have been super-glued to the all-singing, all-dancing mobile phones.

Anyway, enough moaning from me. It's time to put speedway to bed for the day, as I've got a bowls report to write for a local village club followed by some work for the Tommy Steele Fan Club (yep, I'm involved with that).

All the Best

Mike