British Speedway Forum

3 minutes ago, packerman said:

For the none believers a track can be laid and raced on the next week. It happened at Poole when they enlarged the football pitch in the late 80's

Ok we already had the dog track In place so it can be done. 

...and that was the whole track, not just  a couple of bends being taken in? Poole had a 10-day window to get the work done  with the Stewkesbury/Ansell promotion bringing in all the necessary heavy equipment from the property business in Weymouth.

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

...and that was the whole track, not just  a couple of bends being taken in? Poole had a 10-day window to get the work done  with the Stewkesbury/Ansell promotion bringing in all the necessary heavy equipment from the property business in Weymouth.

With it being due to an enlarged football pitch surely that would be simply taking some of the existing track away rather than laying a new surface

No new base as such to be concerned with and the outside unaffected also meaning it was a very different proposition

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

With it being due to an enlarged football pitch surely that would be simply taking some of the existing track away rather than laying a new surface

No new base as such to be concerned with and the outside unaffected also meaning it was a very different proposition

When the football pitch was widened all of the speedway track had to be moved out. The only things not to be moved were the Floodlights.

When Poole Town FC were booted out then the speedway track was brought back to a similar size which you see now with the Greyhound track being reinstated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember wooden pallets with turf on them, that were put on the Poole speedway track for football matches to make the width, god knows what the corner kicks must of been like

2 hours ago, hrhbig said:

Remember wooden pallets with turf on them, that were put on the Poole speedway track for football matches to make the width, god knows what the corner kicks must of been like

That's interesting never knew that, always thought the Poole footie pitch was left undisturbed by speedway meetings.  The same method was used at Hull, Craven Park, as the grass was slightly higher than the speedway track on the corners.  The track was carved out and laid in 2 - 3 weeks, I watched them do it when college allowed, they were pretty lucky with the weather and it has to be said it took the best part of a season for the surface to 'settle down' though.  At the Boulevard, the rugby pitch was the same level as the speedway track on the corners so artificial turf was used and along the straights.   A mate who drives a digger for a living assures me he can "carve out a track in an afternoon, no problem", though levelling the area, banking up the corners and laying shale and getting it to bind will prob take a good few weeks....

I would have thought, and I'm no expert, that getting the base right was the most important factor. We all remember the nonsense that was Bristol and I recall that when Peterborough's track was first laid they dug down a number of feet to lay a decent foundation so as the track wouldn't cut up and also drain satisfactorily.

• Like 2

Russell looking to sell up ..get money for the club and not get the blame for when it closes down . He loves it when a plan comes together .

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, orion said:

Russell looking to sell up ..get money for the club and not get the blame for when it closes down . He loves it when a plan comes together .

Is the club worth anything.?maybe the rider assets are is that it.?

Edited by Sidney the robin

Just now, Sidney the robin said:

Is the club worth anything.?

Not really ..I can't see any value in any speedway club . Lets be honest nearly every club runs at a loss ...You would have to crazy to buy one .

11 minutes ago, orion said:

Not really ..I can't see any value in any speedway club . Lets be honest nearly every club runs at a loss ...You would have to crazy to buy one .

I certainly wouldn't invest my money (if I had any!) in a speedway promotion. The days of profits generated has long past us by.

Just read the article, it does say either 'sell or offload' which would indicate he's open to handing the Club over to the right set of hands without necessarily selling it. I guess we'll wait and see

On 1/28/2019 at 6:50 AM, steve roberts said:

I would have thought, and I'm no expert, that getting the base right was the most important factor. We all remember the nonsense that was Bristol and I recall that when Peterborough's track was first laid they dug down a number of feet to lay a decent foundation so as the track wouldn't cut up and also drain satisfactorily.

Don't forget the NSS infamous opening night disaster

• Like 1