British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

40 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You shouldn't believe everything you read in your papers either. 

Many of the RN vessels are non-operational at any given moment in time, due to maintenance, lack of crews, support vessels, or quite simply lack of funds. There's not anywhere enough ships to police UK waters on a routine basis, nor enough operational RAF planes to provide aerial surveillance.

But we seem to have more than the EU with its drones “policing” the Ionian!  :D

25 minutes ago, DC2 said:

But we seem to have more than the EU with its drones “policing” the Ionian!  :D

Well you didn't want the EU to have a military, so it's hardly surprising... :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

You shouldn't believe everything you read in your papers either. 

Many of the RN vessels are non-operational at any given moment in time, due to maintenance, lack of crews, support vessels, or quite simply lack of funds. There's not anywhere enough ships to police UK waters on a routine basis, nor enough operational RAF planes to provide aerial surveillance.

Hump you are as bad as Pieman 72 for reading things that are not there. Nobody has suggested that a certain percentage of RN vessels are not operational at a given time.

I you read properly my post that you quoted I said “ It was reported ....” That doesn’t mean I believed it or disbelieved it , it simply means what it says.

Dear me, you and Simple Pieman do make it hard work at times. 

4 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Since 1964 twice as many Prime Ministers went through state schools as fee paying schools. Only Cameron and Johnson went to Eton. Have a another stab at it. On the law of averages you might get something right eventually . :(

I'm not arguing detail but the majority go to public school you are wrong. What about Teflon Tone. Public Schoolboys are good at detail and synonyms but technically they are dreadful. I've seen them in action. Why defend these privileged individuals and look at the mess of Covid, Transport, Social Care, Industry. Commerce, productivity and EU negotiations they are inept.

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Hump you are as bad as Pieman 72 for reading things that are not there. Nobody has suggested that a certain percentage of RN vessels are not operational at a given time.

I you read properly my post that you quoted I said “ It was reported ....” That doesn’t mean I believed it or disbelieved it , it simply means what it says.

Dear me, you and Simple Pieman do make it hard work at times. 

As I have been through 2 Universities I only quote from facts please could you not put in words and assumptions into my posts. Could you give me an example where I have read past the facts? It's not a balanced way of putting your argument you are trying to force the issues instead of backing your argument with evidence and facts. Please play by the rules of debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

As I have been through 2 Universities I only quote from facts please could you not put in words and assumptions into my posts. Could you give me an example where I have read past the facts? It's not a balanced way of putting your argument you are trying to force the issues instead of backing your argument with evidence and facts. Please play by the rules of debate.

So as you only quote facts was Addio right or wrong about where Prime Minister's since 1964 were educated?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

I'm not arguing detail but the majority go to public school you are wrong. What about Teflon Tone. Public Schoolboys are good at detail and synonyms but technically they are dreadful. I've seen them in action. Why defend these privileged individuals and look at the mess of Covid, Transport, Social Care, Industry. Commerce, productivity and EU negotiations they are inept.

I am not defending anyone. I’m simply saying that you are wrong when you said first that all Prime Ministers go to Public school and still wrong when you modified it to saying the majority went to Public school, at least not in the modern era.

Since 1964 Wilson , Callaghan, Heath , Thatcher , Major, and Brown, all went to state schools. Cameron, Johnson, and Blair went to Public or independent schools, and Teresa May went to both.. That makes twice as many going through State schools as public or independent schools. They nearly all went to university which means they must be as clever as you (!)

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

I am not defending anyone. I’m simply saying that you are wrong when you said first that all Prime Ministers go to Public school and still wrong when you modified it to saying the majority went to Public school, at least not in the modern era.

Since 1964 Wilson , Callaghan, Heath , Thatcher , Major, and Brown, all went to state schools. Cameron, Johnson, and Blair went to Public or independent schools, and Teresa May went to both.. That makes twice as many going through State schools as public or independent schools. They nearly all went to university which means they must be as clever as you (!)

Only half as clever, he's been through two universities as he told us twice while talking about the sense of superiority of public schoolboys :-)

Edited by Vince
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Fettes.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Wolfsbane

One is a raving lunatic, the other is Adolf Hitler.

(2nd video).

• Haha 1

Okay confessional time. I voted to leave four and a half years ago more out of protest to then regime of Cameron and Osborne whereby party politics was the main reason why it was placed within the Tory Manifesto. Personally I was surprised that the result went the way it did however I naively thought that the Government had some "Grand Scheme" in place to allow things to run smoothly during this transitional period but it soon became apparent that they clearly hadn't. Successive Prime Ministers haven't been able to come up with workable solutions despite lots of rhetoric since the referendum and I now feel that things are in such a mess. All politicians should be asking themselves some very serious questions as to why this debacle has been allowed to fester for the last four and a half years? I truly believe now that we should have remained. However the dice has been thrown and I guess that we all just have to get on with it for better or worse.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Well you didn't want the EU to have a military, so it's hardly surprising... :rolleyes:

LOL

Why would an economic union have an army?

It’s for the individual nations to have their own military and I’m quite sure Greece has a navy.

http://www.balkanalysis.com/greece/2012/05/31/greece-and-turkey-offensive-and-defensive-balance-of-naval-power-in-2012/

Edited by DC2

26 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Okay confessional time. I voted to leave four and a half years ago more out of protest to then regime of Cameron and Osborne whereby party politics was the main reason why it was placed within the Tory Manifesto. Personally I was surprised that the result went the way it did however I naively thought that the Government had some "Grand Scheme" in place to allow things to run smoothly during this transitional period but it soon became apparent that they clearly hadn't. Successive Prime Ministers haven't been able to come up with workable solutions despite lots of rhetoric since the referendum and I now feel that things are in such a mess. All politicians should be asking themselves some very serious questions as to why this debacle has been allowed to fester for the last four and a half years? I truly believe now that we should have remained. However the dice has been thrown and I guess that we all just have to get on with it for better or worse.

WHILE there were undoubtedly many failures by the UK negotiating team,  the intransigence of the EU team is equally to blame for the position we are in now. They were never going to make it easy to leave their precious politically motivated club but refusing to accept that the UK through a referendum and an election had a moral right to go their own way will come back to bite them. 
Of course there will be economic pain here but EU countries won't be immune either and it was all avoidable with flexibility all round. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DC2 said:

LOL

Why would an economic union have an army?

It’s for the individual nations to have their own military and I’m quite sure Greece has a navy.

http://www.balkanalysis.com/greece/2012/05/31/greece-and-turkey-offensive-and-defensive-balance-of-naval-power-in-2012/

It is to share the responsibility of protecting the borders, rather than leaving the economic burden on a few countries. In a club you should share responsibility. Which is why at least Germany is saying they won’t take an early supply of a Covid vaccination, rather they will wait until the EU as a whole can be supplied

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

It is to share the responsibility of protecting the borders, rather than leaving the economic burden on a few countries. In a club you should share responsibility. Which is why at least Germany is saying they won’t take an early supply of a Covid vaccination, rather they will wait until the EU as a whole can be supplied

Well, that can be done by financial payments.

No need to have an EU army.