British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

12 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

The point is not difficult to grasp. The Remain camp lost by a mere 2%. It was peppered with threats.The polls started to change in favour of Leave around 6 weeks out, particularly from when Obama gave voice to the “ back of the queue “speech that Cameron scrawled out for him” . Presumably in your blinkered  view the Remain campaign was perfect, and couldn’t have been done better , but I would since there was only 2% in it , and considering many people become indignant in the face of threats , wheeling out the likes of Obama and especially Verhofstadt , very likely accounted for the 2% likely cost Remain the difference. 

Very true about Verhofstadt, nothing to like about that man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tim G said:

Very true about Verhofstadt, nothing to like about that man.

He's a star he can read the Brxiteers minds particularly when attacking Farage.....not a massively difficult task. As I've said Turkey's don't vote for Christmas?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

He's a star he can read the Brxiteers minds particularly when attacking Farage.....not a massively difficult task. As I've said Turkey's don't vote for Christmas?

That's his problem though differentiating the one thing from the other.

4 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

If he’s a star I hope it’s cloudy tonight.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Pure KKS :D

• Haha 1

We're all arguing about fish.....if only I could get some. Oh Brexiteers so vulnerable.

29 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

We're all arguing about fish.....if only I could get some. Oh Brexiteers so vulnerable.

It’s not about fish, it’s about sovereignty of our own waters. Something the remoaners just don’t seem to understand...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E I Addio said:

Presumably in your blinkered  view the Remain campaign was perfect, and couldn’t have been done better , but I would since there was only 2% in it , and considering many people become indignant in the face of threats , wheeling out the likes of Obama and especially Verhofstadt , very likely accounted for the 2% likely cost Remain the difference. 

The Remain camp was up against years of negative propaganda from the populist press, and even national governments who chose to blame the EU for unpopular legislation they wished to introduce themselves. The benefits of the EU are also quite technical such as facilitating free trade and services, a transparent Irish border, and as such were largely invisible to the general public - at least until economic disruption started to hit and jobs began to disappear. 

It was very difficult to fight the lies about emotive subjects such as the NHS, Turkey and immigration because the public really don't bother to look at the actual facts. I don't think Remain (in fact Cameron and Osbourne) really told lies about the ultimate impact of Brexit, only really exaggerating some of the timescales.

Obama and Verhofstadt were neither here-nor-there. People would have already made up their minds on the Brexit matter regardless of what they said. 

But it hardly matters. Implementing a constitutional matter of the utmost significance on the back of a very slim plurality was and remain a complete nonsense, as we increasingly see as the UK heads towards an economic abyss driven by ridiculous ideology and con men. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Blupanther said:

It’s not about fish, it’s about sovereignty of our own waters. Something the remoaners just don’t seem to understand...

It's also about the sovereignty of the EU, who perhaps don't want UK companies operating in their markets anymore than the Brexiteers want French trawlers in UK waters.

See how that works? 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

It's also about the sovereignty of the EU, who perhaps don't want UK companies operating in their markets anymore than the Brexiteers want French trawlers in UK waters.

See how that works? 

Hang on, our access to the EU is on a like for like basis, industry wise, isn’t it?

We don’t need access to EU fishing waters.

18 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

See how that works? 

That comparison is as clear as muddy water...:)

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Blocked. Your a complete nutcase and grade a wankstain.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

See how that works? 

How can a political project have sovereignty , when you've been telling us the countries within it have the sovereignty ? Are you Captain Hindsight Starmer in disguise ? Two faces , same arse. :D

4 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

But it hardly matters. Implementing a constitutional matter of the utmost significance on the back of a very slim plurality was and remain a complete nonsense, as we increasingly see as the UK heads towards an economic abyss driven by ridiculous ideology and con men. 

It seems that nothing hardly matters if it happens to put you on the wrong end of the argument.  

However the decision was not taken in on the back of a very slim “ plurality “ as you call it.  The law was passed on one of the largest Parliamentary majorities in modern history. 

The Parliamentary majority taking the UK out the EU was far greater than the relatively slim majority taking us into it, which John Major had to turn into a  confidence vote to get it through, and which was pushed through without any public consultation. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blupanther said:

All covered, no need to panic ...

I thought we were told we wouldn't need migrant workers. All these migrants coming over and taking jobs from the 'Brits'!    British jobs for British workers and all that..........

Edited by dj350z
  • Like 3