British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

If this is correct then I'll go with that providing of course the money does go to rebuilding the fleet/communities and there's a quantification of what 'full compliment' means.

The deal.

25% of the EU fishing quota returned immediately. £100m to £125m back each year for 5 years to rebuild the UK fishing fleet. At the end of the 5 years the balance of the quota back to UK and by then the UK to be back to it's full compliment of trawlers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

That discussion has been aired on several occasions, and there was even a TV documentary about it some time ago.  Brits don't want to work in the fields and have proved to be useless at it which was what the TV programme was about. Foreign fruit and produce pickers acquire an incredible picking skill, picking about 80% of the pickable crop. Brits on the other hand could only muster about 25%, and most wanted to be off the job because of that, and the conditions that they have to endure. Foreign workers are only here for the picking season, so not a drain on our economy, unlike EU immigrants 

There will always be a need to to bring extra expertise to this country and long may that be so.  

Completely missing my point. So it was never about freedom of movement, controlling our borders and immigration then?

So the Leave campaign never mentioned those issues!! It was always going to be denied when we got to this position.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, E I Addio said:

To clarify, I’ve just asked my daughter what she has had to do to get continued employment in the Czech Republic. Basically it means giving proof of residency , proof of employment , proof of health insurance ( which her employers pay anyway) and basically proving she is a responsible citizen able to support herself ,  which frankly I think are tests any responsible government would apply , but under FOM they can’t stop anyone simply turning up. 
So it seems the idea that Brexit will take away the so- called right to work abroad is another falsehood that has been perpetrated on the BSF ;)

The above only applies if you're already living and working in an EU country, and it's conditional and limited to the EU country you're living in- particularly if you've been there less than 5 years. If you decide to, or need to leave for even a short period, your residency can be revoked. The situation of British citizens who're already living in but not working in an EU country is also still in limbo.

As for denying that Brexit has taken away the rights of British citizens to work in other EU countries, you clearly don't know what you're talking about despite your professed legal knowledge. British citizens lose their automatic rights to do so on 1 January 2021 - voted away by the Brexiteers. 

• Like 1

It’s a deal!

Albeit the EU has insisted we keep Steve Shovlar, the only stumbling block all along.  :D

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Looking forward to the preprepared response of Sir H on the new deal. He has constantly dissed the need for the UK fishing industry, which accounts for only 0.02% of our economy according to the figure quoted on here previously. He would have given it away and wondered why people would make such a fuss over an almost non contributor yesterday industry. 

Well he is going to have make his mind up now, as the news is that a deal has been completed, and the clincher was the allowance of French fishermen to continue to fish our UK waters at a much reduced capacity. So now he will be mocking the insistence  of preserving the rights of our Sovereign after giving some rights back to the French.

Suddenly the conceding of some fishing rights ,will be the biggest and worst decision since the Leave vote(allegedly)

Bring it on :P

We're supposed to congratulate the UK government on negotiating back far less than the UK already had when it was in the EU? You have a very strange idea about success, and lecturing others about how to negotiate is quite comical coming from someone who worked for a company that's been fined millions for its dishonesty over the years. :D

But despite all the jingoistic nonsense, it looks like the UK has largely conceded on fishing, as was ridiculously predictable. In 6 years time, the fishing issue will be brushed under the carpet and no doubt the status quo will continue. :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Deal done Part of the deal is that sad Dc2 is not allowed to spend his life on this forum .

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

The above only applies if you're already living and working in an EU country, and it's conditional and limited to the EU country you're living in- particularly if you've been there less than 5 years. If you decide to, or need to leave for even a short period, your residency can be revoked. The situation of British citizens who're already living in but not working in an EU country is also still in limbo.

As for denying that Brexit has taken away the rights of British citizens to work in other EU countries, you clearly don't know what you're talking about despite your professed legal knowledge. British citizens lose their automatic rights to do so on 1 January 2021 - voted away by the Brexiteers. 

Read the posts including your own properly, instead of jumping around all over the place.

Your original question was what arrangements has the U.K. Government made for citizens actually working abroad .

My reply was no doubt we’ll know when  details of the Treaty are known, but all I could comment on was my daughters experience. I f you you read my reply the operative word was CONTINUED employment which to anyone with a basic grasp of English , does not mean new employment.

Now you start banging on about British citizens living in the EU but not working there,  ducking around as usual because your original question was about those actually working. That is something we will only know about when we see the terms of the Treaty .

Whether UK citizens are able to work in the EU or whether EU citizens are able to work in the UK seems likely to depend on matching Labour supply to employment demands,

I know your ulterior motive is to be a smartarse but all I have attempted to comment on is direct family experience.

1 minute ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

We're supposed to congratulate the UK government on negotiating back far less than the UK already had when it was in the EU? You have a very strange idea about success, and lecturing others about how to negotiate is quite comical coming from someone who worked for a company that's been fined millions for its dishonesty over the years. :D

But despite all the jingoistic nonsense, it looks like the UK has largely conceded on fishing, as was ridiculously predictable. In 6 years time, the fishing issue will be brushed under the carpet and no doubt the status quo will continue. :rolleyes:

That is what I understood from our President :D She talked about a 5 year fishing deal with a strong incentive to keep the status quo. See what BoJo say’s 

16 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Yes , I know that’s what the headline says, but that’s not what the supposedly leaked document was saying. If you go back on the link to the previous article of the 5th Sept 2017, which publishes the full supposedly “leaked “document you will see that the dociment itself doesn’t say anything about British job# for British workers , in fact in some ways it says just the opposite.

Whether it was ever official government policy, government ministers certainly did use the terms 'British jobs for British workers'...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/jeremy-hunt-nhs-doctors-theresa-may-conservative-conference-live/

Or is the Daily Telegraph is a left-wing rag? :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WONDERING what direction this particular topic will take once the deal has officially been ratified. 

I predict it will go in the same direction as the Covid and Donald Trump threads, with certain people making completely unsourced and unsubstantiated claims about what the deal is and what it means.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I know your ulterior motive is to be a smartarse but all I have attempted to comment on is direct family experience.

And I'm commenting based on my own personal experience on working in multiple countries, which I'm confident is substantially greater than yours on this matter. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Merry Christmas Humphrey Appleby

• Haha 3

SOUNDS good to me ... from Lord Frost ...

"Today's agreement does more than just deliver a zero tariffs deal. It covers areas such as services, aviation, road transport, social security, health, fisheries, and, crucially, law enforcement. And it allows us to participate in the Horizon scientific research programme. It also restores Britain's sovereignty in full. EU law ceases to apply; the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice ends; there is no alignment with EU rules; and our Parliament sets all laws for our country once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well we got a deal, which is better than a no deal. We are just now much worse off for the rest of our lives as a nation rather than the devastation of a no deal.

A very sad day for what was once a fine nation. Truly sad and appalling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

The 2 words that got the result. 

'No deal'.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Santa Farage.jpg

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Thanks 2