British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

European Union - In Or Out?

5 minutes ago, orion said:

How did Ipswich get on v Swindon Pat ? :D

Predictably,  absolutely cringeworthy rubbish. Definitely the better team won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Usual Brexiteer blasé attitude. As ever, you demonstrate absolutely no conception of the realities. :rolleyes:

Most bands are not Iron Maiden (or The Who for the matter), and even for well-established bands, touring can be quite marginal. Add in the visa costs for the band members and roadies, and that can be a sizeable chunk of any profits, plus all the bureaucratic requirements of proving you're an artist of sufficient standing, needing x amount in your bank account, and so on...

Why do you think the music industry is currently up in arms about having been sold out by the UK government?

It just requires a bit of paperwork. You should be excited about this , you love bureaucracy and all that stuff. I mean , you dont have to fly a 747 to tour. :D

2 hours ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Iron maiden will be gutted to cross the eu off its next world tour. But of course , a bit of paperwork that takes 20 mins and its all go.

I mentioned this once or twice before . The thing is there is a relatively good circuit for UK folk bands for example on the continent. They don't make millions and it seems often kip in someone's house. Got a few clubs around that mainly book British groups, and it will be those that suffer, as I don't see that many French or Spanish groups doing the small venue circuit here.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DC2 said:

Do you have a link to this story?

Yes there are several. As we have decided to put our 2 fingers up at the EU, large multinational companies will avoid the bureaucracy and cost of freight by-passing UK. I am far from gloating but the UK is less influential and this 'trading with the world' has a hollow ring to it. There are consequences to Brexit that no one could have predicted.

https://nation.cymru/news/holyhead-port-in-danger-of-rapid-decline-after-end-of-the-brexit-transition-period/

26 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Got a few clubs around that mainly book British groups,

Not for the last 10 months you havent.

3 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Not for the last 10 months you havent.

Obviously not you dingbat, but groups are still putting tours together etc in the hope....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

And here lies the problem when you ban something and promise not to use it again whilst at the same time there's nothing useful in place to treat the initial problem!

The pesticide in this instance is applied as a seed dressing and sugar beet is harvested before the plant flowers so bees won't even be going near it, as there's nothing of interest for them. Because of the mild winter last year populations of aphid - the main vector for the virus they're trying to control - exploded unusually early in the spring meaning some crops had 4 applications of a foliar insecticide to try and  control numbers, far more damaging to the wildlife and watercourses.

Though of course it doesn't follow that there will be the same problem again this year, last year was very unusual on the aphid front. 

Good work has been carried out on biodegradable plastic film covering the crops which will be the ideal solution, the only snag appears to be getting it to degrade quick enough before harvest.

In plant health regarding viruses we knew long ago you cannot suppress them, just carry out measures to mitigate their effects! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Yes there are several. As we have decided to put our 2 fingers up at the EU, large multinational companies will avoid the bureaucracy and cost of freight by-passing UK. I am far from gloating but the UK is less influential and this 'trading with the world' has a hollow ring to it. There are consequences to Brexit that no one could have predicted.

https://nation.cymru/news/holyhead-port-in-danger-of-rapid-decline-after-end-of-the-brexit-transition-period/

But that article is from 10 December, not post-Brexit!

16 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

More then a few remainers going to have egg on their faces when UK economy picks up, and it will do, not tomorrow next week, nor next month....... but UK is now free of restraints holding UK back, give it a few years and UK will be very perky....... not sure about the EU though...... Sweden, Ireland, France, Italy Greece, Poland, Hungary all making noises, some will come to fruition.

Can you give some examples of the restraints which were holding the UK back? The reason I ask is that from where I am standing over the last twenty years (while we were in the EU) it looks as if most major foreign companies have invested in Britain, everyone from Microsoft to Oracle to Google to Pfizer and so on.

There are three main reasons foreign companies invest in Britain. The first is language, English is the language of business.

The second is timezone. Britain is conveniently located eight hours between the Far East and the West Coast USA, so is an ideal location if you want a "follow the sun" operation.

The third is our membership of the EU.

The problem with the above is that these advantages are not as strong as they used to be. For example, most professionals in Europe can speak English. I have just delivered a programme in 14 countries and luckily for me, every single meeting was conducted in English. This required people in France, Germany, Belgium, Austria etc. all speaking English.

As for timezeone, most European countries are either on the same timezone or one hour different.

And finally, we are obviously no longer members of the EU, so no longer have that advantage.

I was trying to think of large companies which have come to the fore in the last few years. The only one I could think of was Tesla, now the largest car manufacturer in the world by market cap. It is interesting to see that Tesla has no presence in Britain beyond sales and servicing and specifically cited the uncertainly around Brexit as a reason for choosing Germany of the UK for their European base.

As I have repeatedly said on this thread, I believe Britain offers the individual more opportunities than pretty much any other country in the planet. However, Tesla sadly isn't one of those opportunities.

• Like 3

Prior to 2020 what profits has Tesla made in motor manufacture?
Seems like Tesla car production could easily be outstripped by Chinese EV manufacturers. The Chinese are producing them and will outstrip Tesla. Look what Japan did to the worldwide motorcycle market, China could do that to the car EV market.

17 hours ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Iron maiden will be gutted to cross the eu off its next world tour. But of course , a bit of paperwork that takes 20 mins and its all go.

As already stated, not all performers are an Iron Maiden. The EU, apparently, offered a visa-free opportunity for musicians to tour Europe but the UK turned it down as it would have meant allowing European artists to do the same here.

25 minutes ago, Grachan said:

As already stated, not all performers are an Iron Maiden. The EU, apparently, offered a visa-free opportunity for musicians to tour Europe but the UK turned it down as it would have meant allowing European artists to do the same here.

And in the form offered it is open to scamming . Think it through. It will probably come eventually but needs a few safeguards .

1 hour ago, OveFundinFan said:

Prior to 2020 what profits has Tesla made in motor manufacture?
Seems like Tesla car production could easily be outstripped by Chinese EV manufacturers. The Chinese are producing them and will outstrip Tesla. Look what Japan did to the worldwide motorcycle market, China could do that to the car EV market.

I'm not sure what your point is. Tesla has been investing in developing technology, bringing new models to the market and scaling up capacity. You don't aim to make a profit in the early years when you have a longer term strategy in place.

As for Chinese EVs, any company can outstrip any other. Just look at what Tesla has done with their battery and driverless technologies, both considered to be as much as ten years ahead of their competitors. My point is, if you're a British youngster and you want to work for the most valuable and technologically advanced car manufacturer on the planet, thanks to Brexit you do not have that opportunity without leaving the country.

• Like 3

Just now, MattK said:

My point is, if you're a British youngster and you want to work for the most valuable and technologically advanced car manufacturer on the planet, thanks to Brexit you do not have that opportunity without leaving the country.

And it's more difficult to leave the country now, especially with limited experience...

• Like 3